Realizing that a lot of people use this forum to get opinions on what others consider "the best knives", I thought I'd start a topic in which makers and dealers could offer their viewpoints on "best customers".
To me, this seems an appropriate topic because, with the new year only a few short hours away, I would like to thank all those who have supported me in my efforts as a custom knife maker.
Let's simply list those qualities we, as makers and dealers, have come to appreciate......
1. The best customers are not necessarily the ones who buy the most knives or spend the most money.
2. The best customers deal in an honest and respectful way, expecting no less from you.
3. The best customers contact you directly if there is a problem. They do not broadcast their anxieties before giving you a chance to make it right.
4. The best customers don't dress a certain way, have a certain occupation or drive a certain car.
5. The best customers do not feel obligated to buy only your knives.
6. The best customers appreciate how much effort you put into your craft. They do not insult you by abusing your knives or demanding a much lower price.
7. The best customers realize that you consider the knives you make a recognized form of art.
8. The best customers do not expect you to hand them anything "indestructable." They do, however, expect you to hand them something into which your best efforts were put.
9. The best customers realize that this is probably how you feed your family.
10. The best customers do not consider your table a "toy box" where they can play all day long with disregard to others.
11. The best customers are those who guide you through their suggestions and comments and realize you will listen even though they might not buy anything right now.
12. The best customers are those who come by your table to say hello or goodby before leaving a show.
13. The best customers know you appreciate them.
14. The best customers respect your opinions because they know you respect theirs.
15. The best customers are those who you think of every time you have doubts about your "success".
Please feel free to add your thoughts. Thank you, and have a happy new year!
Hand Crafted Knives