Best knives for a suit?

A few that I might consider... Boker Urban Trapper (flipper) or the Kizer Dukes (flipper). I personally prefer to carry a traditional knife more in a dress up situation and that includes my regular carry now of the Vic Small Tinker.

I like the thin Fox Gentleman's Knife. AG Russell sells it and labels it as such. It is a manual open liner lock knife.

I have many that I could choose but, when I think of gentleman's carry, the 1st knife that I always consider is the Kershaw Almar (2335BLK), which is one of the cheapest but nicest looking knives in my collection.

Elegant all black handle, black 3" spear point blade, black deep pocket clip and the red stand-offs, all make for a nice and dressy look. It can be purchased for just $25-30.

2335blk.4.jpg

2335blk.3.jpg

2335blk.2.jpg

Last edited:
i don't wear a suit very often as I'm a motorcycle mechanic but my cold steel ti lite 4 goes with everything got zytel and aluminium I perfair the the aluminium but use the zytel all the time

I carry my crk mnandi in a suit, its small and lightweight for comfort and looks nice for when you use it.

It is above your budget by roughly $50 and is not a flipper, but I find the Protech BR-1 "Whiskers" to be well suited to carrying with formal work attire. Of course this may not be an option for you depending on your local laws.

Otherwise, for a sleek flipper I would suggest a Kershaw Leek. There are multiple variants with different finishes a steel to choose from. A good slipjoint would also serve you well.

First, acknowledge the fact that you are wearing a suit because the environment you are in values aesthetics over function in terms of clothing -- i.e., you are signaling to others with your clothing. Thus, you might well want a knife that complements the signals your suit is emanating.

For a knife that places high priority on aesthetics, look for one designed by an Italian. good Italian design tastes tend to be among the best, whether in men's suits, sidearms (e.g., Beretta), or cars. If you want to confine your choice to an American designer, look at knives by Elisha Isham.

Isham prioritizes artful design, but then finds a way to make his designs functional. Within your budget are his Civivi Anthropos and the new Civivi Plethiros. Both have D2 blades, with the Anthropos at 3.2 inches for $80, and the Plethiros at 3.4 inches for $75. The ultimate Isham suit knife I think would be the We Pleroma, with a 3.0-inch, M390 blade for $300. You pull out a Pleroma with its sacred geometry and you're going to have the attention of everyone within sight and you'll be sending positive signals.

If you are traveling on business and might visit such tyrannies as Chicago or Boston, you will want a blade no longer than 2.5 inches. Many other jurisdictions limit blade length to 3.0 inches. Besides, a sub 3-inch blade is less likely to alarm the city slickers in the crowd, especially if the blade has a less threatening profile, e.g., a sheepsfoot.

Kizer has multiple titanium framelocks that would make great suit knives; e.g., the Vagnino-designed Zipslip, the Lundquist-designed Feist W.

My favorite knives for when a suit and tie is the appropriate attire are either my Case jigged bone CV Mini Copperlock, Spyderco Positron carbon fiber, or Spyderco Chaparral Lightwieght. A dressier Chaparral or Case can easily be had within your budget. I think thin, light, a touch of bling are what make a gentleman's knife. It should be carried in an interior coat or pants pocket with no pocket clip showing. I would advise against an auto, flipper, or any other type of knife you may want to fidget with. Impress folks with a high quality, easy opening, extremely sharp knife not your manual dexterity fidgeting.

Last edited:
These are knives I own that I have carried with a suit or would.

Benchmades: Arcane, Valet, Anthem, 940, Fact

Spyderco’s: GB2, vrango

Laconico’s: EZC, Keen

Microtech’s: utx 70, utx 85

Sebenza 21

Case MOP pen knife (This was my EDC for almost 20 years until I lost it. Which thrust me into this hobby trying to find a replacement).

A bit on the inexpensive side (is that a bad thing? o_O) the CRKT Swindle (the rippled one in 12C27) is something different and interesting; I suggest you take a look. :thumbsup: I'm aware of the CRKT detractors around and all I can say is I have at least 8 of them and ALL were very well done. Maybe I'm just a special person. :D ;)

First, acknowledge the fact that you are wearing a suit because the environment you are in values aesthetics over function in terms of clothing -- i.e., you are signaling to others with your clothing. Thus, you might well want a knife that complements the signals your suit is emanating.

For a knife that places high priority on aesthetics, look for one designed by an Italian. good Italian design tastes tend to be among the best, whether in men's suits, sidearms (e.g., Beretta), or cars. If you want to confine your choice to an American designer, look at knives by Elisha Isham.

Isham prioritizes artful design, but then finds a way to make his designs functional. Within your budget are his Civivi Anthropos and the new Civivi Plethiros. Both have D2 blades, with the Anthropos at 3.2 inches for $80, and the Plethiros at 3.4 inches for $75. The ultimate Isham suit knife I think would be the We Pleroma, with a 3.0-inch, M390 blade for $300. You pull out a Pleroma with its sacred geometry and you're going to have the attention of everyone within sight and you'll be sending positive signals.

If you are traveling on business and might visit such tyrannies as Chicago or Boston, you will want a blade no longer than 2.5 inches. Many other jurisdictions limit blade length to 3.0 inches. Besides, a sub 3-inch blade is less likely to alarm the city slickers in the crowd, especially if the blade has a less threatening profile, e.g., a sheepsfoot.

Kizer has multiple titanium framelocks that would make great suit knives; e.g., the Vagnino-designed Zipslip, the Lundquist-designed Feist W.

Yup, just a bit out of the price range, but the Pleroma has retained the title for my "dress up" carry. And about half of my everyday jeans carry. I absolutely love it. Looks great, feels great in the hand, and love the action. Slow open, stud flick, finger flick, even with a fairly Stout detent.

15iamqd.jpg

Now staying in budget... Massdrop Gent. Spyder Chaparral (not flipper, but smooth and "flickable"). Or just about any Traditional that kicks interest.

Boker+ Urban Trapper is my go2.

Had the cocobolo scale one, but it fealt a bit flimsy for my liking so I traded it. Got myself a ti-handled one, and absolutely love it. So light and sleek, inside a jacket pocket it wears not much different then a bic pen.

Last edited:
I wear suits and suit jackets daily and for me any knife with a pocket clip worn in the pocket is a no no nothing looks worse than a well fit suit with a goofy knife with a pocket clip hanging out of it.

So for me it’s a fixed blade worn in waistband or horizontal....it blends in and no one sees it. if I have to wear a folder that is also carried horizontally in a discreet sheath that blends in with my belt line

I have many that I could choose but, when I think of gentleman's carry, the 1st knife that I always consider is the Kershaw Almar (2335BLK), which is one of the cheapest but nicest looking knives in my collection.

Elegant all black handle, black 3" spear point blade, black deep pocket clip and the red stand-offs, all make for a nice and dressy look. It can be purchased for just $25-30.

2335blk.4.jpg

2335blk.3.jpg

2335blk.2.jpg

Yeah, when people ask this, I always tell them to try one of the Al Mar "bird" series of knives -

ultralights.png

Those Kershaw versions look good too.

I'd also look at the Moki Japanese brand, and the various Jess Horn factory collabs.

Back