Best Kukri for general camping

What's the best type of edge to keep on the kukri? It has a convex edge, and I'm thinking thats best. Would it still be functional with a V or other bevel type edge? Are they about equal in sharpness or should i expect the convex edge to not be so sharp?

IMO convex is best (strongest) and easiest to maintain. Especially when sharpening with a belt grinder.

Andy

What's the best type of edge to keep on the kukri? It has a convex edge, and I'm thinking thats best. Would it still be functional with a V or other bevel type edge? Are they about equal in sharpness or should i expect the convex edge to not be so sharp?

Keep the convex edge, it's an excellent profile for a chopper/slasher like the Khukuri.

By the way, you don't need a belt grinder, you don't need an old mouse pad, you can use a piece of sand paper wrapped around your own thigh for when metal needs to be removed, the technique will be the same. A butchers steel can line up the "teeth" on the edge and that should be sufficient 80-90% of the time. Buy a medium fine butchers steel if you don't already have one. After you've got a feel for it, you'll be able to see/feel the edge as you apply the steel to it at the correct angle. It takes longer to explain than it would to demonstrate, but your pro sharpening should be able to do that for you when you pick up your Khukuri.

-E

Kukri's have their uses but are not ideal for everything

"wood chopping, brush clearing, possible setting up shelters", :thumbup

"scaling fish" jerkit:(you're kidding aren't you)?:D

"cutting meat" - if you have it on a treestump then maybe - but IMO :thumbdn: I've seen lots of other style choppers in kitchens but never a kukri. Even a $5 POS bait knife would be easier to use for scaling fish and cutting meat or other food prep chores

"and the off chance that I'd need it for self defense" :confused: - what? - you heading into bear country? - pack a 44mag - humans? - same answer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DHGlhFJH0g

Your argument is invalid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back