Best Kukri For Survival of The FiTTeST? END of The World, SHTF Scenarios?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO Reach and speed are important when it comes to such things so I'd be looking at a lighter M43, 18" WWII or a Sirupati, Gelbu Special, Chitlangi or Kobra. They have lots of speed and reach. ;)

"The problem is that in many places it's illegal to carry such a weapon concealed, and if you carry it openly people will question your intentions (to put it mildly)."

^an attempt to quote davids post on page 1^

Bingo!

I can carry my firearm concealed legally but not a knife or bladed weapon.
I know the wife would be upset if i could because Id certainly be buying more toys lol.

Last edited:
I'd just like to throw in that in case of emergency or survival situation, my choice is for the AK Bowie. I HAVE used it as a pry-bar, and a hammer, and a kitchen knife, and a hatchet, and a thousand other things, and it has never let me down. Or complained. Or even gotten slightly disfigured. As a back-up: I love the HI Farm knife for building fires and relieving zombies of their craniums.

Survival of the fittest hmm... well that depends on your environment. Do you really want to carry that heavy beast when you could be carrying more important things like food, water, and clothing?

Not the strongest or even the fittest survive but the most adaptable.

Survival of the fittest hmm... well that depends on your environment. Do you really want to carry that heavy beast when you could be carrying more important things like food, water, and clothing?

More important? That's a very debatable subject, and not exactly helpful nor on-topic. Considering the number of tasks you can accomplish with a khuk (not to mention, being nominally more able to defend your food, water, and clothing), it would be a very useful thing to have in a tight spot. Your food, water, and clothing aren't going to mean all that much if zombies eat you. Or people pretending to be zombies, for that matter. Not really sure what you're doing on BLADE Forums, if you don't think that carrying a BLADE is a useful thing.

The BEST one is the one that you are most comfortable with though, in my opinion. There's a khuk out there for all tastes, styles, and needs.

Or people pretending to be zombies, for that matter.

Hehe. This is funny.

Yes i agree that you will always reach for the one you most comfortable with.
Look over your mega-collection now and ask yourself one honest question- Do you have time to retrieve that safe queen or the user that you always keep handy?

At stressful moment, your beautiful tung oil glazed handle with dragon engraving might just surprise you. I'm not saying it's not but i like my handle a little rough for surface contact.
Come to think again, i can only reach for my 13" Salyan- a big blade at large belly, 1/2" thick spine in a small knife.

It needs to have a lanyard hole imo. If you drop the khuk or if your hands are slick from zombie blood you could lose your head... or loose your finger.

More important? That's a very debatable subject, and not exactly helpful nor on-topic. Considering the number of tasks you can accomplish with a khuk (not to mention, being nominally more able to defend your food, water, and clothing), it would be a very useful thing to have in a tight spot. Your food, water, and clothing aren't going to mean all that much if zombies eat you. Or people pretending to be zombies, for that matter. Not really sure what you're doing on BLADE Forums, if you don't think that carrying a BLADE is a useful thing.

The BEST one is the one that you are most comfortable with though, in my opinion. There's a khuk out there for all tastes, styles, and needs.

What I mean is a lighter kukri in favor of more food or water. Sorry forgot about the zombies.

Every time I read this thread's title, I imagine a Dalek speaking it.

Lol!

The ASTK is a great model as well ( on the left)

DSCF0077.jpg

Wow, the handles on both those khuks are incredible. Congrats.

Thanks! The ASTK was a blem deal with a cracked handle that I figured, instead of fixing it with epoxy, why not just rehandle it, the Busse was actually the first blade I ever rehandled and custom fit to my own hand

18 in Ang Kola is in my opinion hands down the best survival tool on the planet. I love the CS Ghurkhas too(i have 2) but i have yet 2 see a comparison on video/performace side by side slugfest of the 2 knives. Maybe CS is afraid that someone else can match them test 4 test. I donno

what i do know is watch Noss4 destruction workshop beatdown of the 18 in AK. If that doesnt convince u, you need help.

The Noss4 destruction workshop beatdown of the 18" AK is no longer available on YouTube. I think the account was closed. But no doubt the HI 18" AK is build like a tank and is a good chopper because of it's weight (usually around 2 to 2.5 lbs). But I think as some have stated in different ways for a Kukri to be a survival tool it should fulfill as many roles as possible. What qualities should it have? A real life survival, end of the world event has already happened (twice). World War II had many Kukris of all different weights and sizes.
Below: Father Stuart of the Kachin Rangers in WWII. By Spiral.
KACHINRANGERFATHERSTUARTMISSO.jpg
MERRILS.jpg
Above: Merrill's Marauders. By Spiral.
From my studies the most popular and preferred Khukuri by far in the world wars was 12 to 13 inches (33 centimeters) and about 1.25 pound (570 grams) Khukuri. Heavier Kukris are hard to maneuver and would leave you open in physical fight. Also they were/are a beast of burden to carry. Lighter Khukuri were not good for bushcraft so the balance is seen in the kind of Kukri true survival experts used, i.e. the soldiers and Gurkhas of war.
In my opinion of course :D.

Last edited:
Thanks! The ASTK was a blem deal with a cracked handle that I figured, instead of fixing it with epoxy, why not just rehandle it, the Busse was actually the first blade I ever rehandled and custom fit to my own hand

Jroden5446, i don't suppose you could make an M14 stock out of some wood that looks like those handles, could you ? I'd be very interested...

Jroden5446, i don't suppose you could make an M14 stock out of some wood that looks like those handles, could you ? I'd be very interested...

I guess if you could find a large enough piece, someone ( not me, A project like that is well above my skill set) could probably make one. The only thing to worry about in a piece that large would be even with a quality stabilization, I'd worry about unseen voids or features that may ( don't really know, just kind of assuming here) that under e shock of gunfire may get worse
Also, jroden, would you mind sharing what kind of wood you used on those?

Not at all, the HI is flamed redwood, the Zilla is Redwood burl, both stabilized and purchased from Mark at Burl Source

Say society collapses tomorrow, no more rules and regulations, no governing order..

Food procurement and survival was up to oneself..

If you could only choose 1 Kuhkri to have with you..

Which one would you select, and WHY??

PLEASE state the WHY behind your choice!

oNe

Say society collapses tomorrow, no more rules and regulations, no governing order..

Food procurement and survival was up to oneself..

If you could only choose 1 Kuhkri to have with you..

Which one would you select, and WHY??

PLEASE state the WHY behind your choice!

oNe

Just naked and only a Kukri allowed?
Whats the situation? Am I freezing and there are only trees and no dumpsters full of burnable materials anymore?
How long is society gone? Lots of dead people whose homes I could search for food and water and I have to pry open doors?
Am I hungry in a forest?
Do I have to fight humans with this knife?

Since the situation is so vague and it really has to be a Kukri and nothing else it has to be some jack of all trades. Not too heavy to not slow me down and to be controllable in a fight. It should also be robust and easy to sharpen.
So some not to thick Chiruwa AK in the 16"-18" range would be my choice.

Now if you specify that fighting is more likely than anything else that would change things a bit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back