Best loupe? 20X? 30X? 40X?

I appreciate it! I’m very picky and look at stuff in the micron range —on and off—for what can be an extended period of time. This is what I found to be the only thing that I’m comfortable with. So they pay for themselves in usefulness and wearability. (A surgeon that I taught also uses custom prescription glasses for surgery.)

I’m still going to research some of these other ideas…in case I missed something.

I'm very picky when it comes to my vision too!

The one that I had years ago when I made some Jewelry, was a 10X on a swivel over my dominate eye, like many Jewelers use ... That's why its the most popular, Cause it works the best with the least!

Also you can remove them when that fine work is over!

I am looking for a “USB” microscope that is compatible with an ipad. Any ideas? I have a fancy desk top computer, but it doesn’t move. It doesn’t have an interactive screen. It doesn’t let me drag my photo library around. It doesn’t shoot or screen shoot etc.

I'm using this for a usb microscope. Incredible how zoomed in I can get. Comes with a stand and the pencil format works really well as it is not intrusive

USB Microscope, Potensic Endoscope Inspection Magnifier with Advanced CMOS Sensor 20X-200X Magnification IP67 Waterproof Compatible with Android Smartphone and PC
by Potensic
Link: http://a.co/28Mmxh7

I am looking for a “USB” microscope that is compatible with an ipad. Any ideas? I have a fancy desk top computer, but it doesn’t move. It doesn’t have an interactive screen. It doesn’t let me drag my photo library around. It doesn’t shoot or screen shoot etc.
I’m browsing for a unit for my IPAD phone 6s as well. Pro Scope is a unit I’m looking into. www.proscopedigital.com

Last edited:
The Opti-Visors come in 6 magnifications: 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 10 diopters. The corresponding powers are: 1 1/2X, 1 3/4X, 2X, 2 1/2X, 2 3/4X, and 3 1/2X. The corresponding working distances are: 20”, 14”, 10”, 8”, 6”, and 4”. A swingaway side loupe can boost the power of any of the lens boards by 2 1/2X, but you lose the stereo vision, and the working distance is further decreased.
My wife uses the #10 for her engraving work. She feels this is the best compromise for this detailed type of work. She can get 4" clearance perhaps a little more, which is enough for her engraver tool. When I flip my loupe into play I get greater magnification at a working distance of 1". DM

I tried to make better picture with something to look at :oops:

I did my best but this loupe is not meant to take picture, quality is ugly on these picture and not as good as when viewed by the eyes, handheld camera

TQmhfU8.jpg

Being a Gemologist by trade I only go up to 10X. The reason for that is that the higher you go the more crap you will find. In diamond grading if it cannot be seen at 10x by a trained eye then as far as the appraisal goes it is not there. This process is based on the opinion of three trained gemologists. The point is the higher you go in magnification the more chance you will find more imperfections. If it is good enough for diamond grading then
it's good enough for knife sharpening.
By the way don't waste you money on a Triplet, a doublet is all you need. The difference between the 2 is that the Triplet is color corrected for the sole pupose of color grading diamonds and precious stones. I assume you will not be color grading knife blades. Lastly get the 18mm hexagonal, the lenses are bigger and easier to use.

I generally use a 10x BelOMO triplet which was priced very reasonably when I purchased it several years ago.
(I see them on amazon currently for about $34.)

I also have a battery powered / lighted 15x magnifier I purchased from Lee Valley many moons ago which sees occasional use.

9C451AED-6285-45FE-A42D-EC9A30ECF838.jpeg I bought a wireless Proscope. It has a built in modem and shoots a wifi signal to my ipad or iphone. Supposedly the wifi signal is superior to Bluetooth. That doesn’t bother me because my hearing aids run Bluetooth and the pads and phones are fighting each other for control of the hearing aids.
The scope in the picture is 50X which is a little hard to hold steady. There is even a trigger on the scope to take pictures, but guess what happens when you pull the trigger, the image wiggles. I rigged a stand (Edmund Scientific) to hold the scope steady. If I need a photo, i screen shoot the image on the pad. I ordered a 30X lens to improve my chances of doing hand held work.
The knife in the picture is a Fantoni HB-01 in S125V, and the edge is factory. I can change the orientation of either the blade or the scope to get lighting that better defines the edge.
The company makes higher power lenses 100, 200, & 400X, but I am not certain that they are wireless.

Back