Best mineral oil for carbon knives?

Hi guys,

Like the title says, just wondering what is your preferred mineral oil for care of your carbon steel blades? I don't really use mine for food prep but I suppose on occasion I might if I have one on me and need to, so maybe something quality and food safe is a good option. Thanks guys!

I just use the USP grade available in the pharmacy section of most places. Works fine for me, it is inexpensive and a bottle will last along time. I have heard of people using lip balm to protect their blades because it is mainly a mixture of wax and mineral oil.

Ric

Yeah just get a big ol' food grade bottle at the pharmacy. It's usually in the laxatives section. Shouldn't cost you more than $5 and will last you for years.

I use sunflower oil on kitchen knives and chopping boards
and choji oil on everything else

All choji oil is is mineral oil with a little oil of clove added, for those not already in the know.

Mineral oil doesn't seem to stop discoloration on 01 blades, it slows it. There is also a distasteful after taste nonstainless steels inpart to foods. I don't know if much that helps this other than changing steels. DM

Back