Best Mora for wilderness survival?

I'm leaving for Brazil again next month and I want to take a Mora or two with me, just because I've heard so much about them. Aside from the standard red varnished handle variety, which of the Mora's lend themselves to the wilderness survival role? The knife will be paired with a machete and is only needed for detail work. Mac

If you're going to a humid environment, I would suggest you take a blue stainless Mora as well. They don't corrode as fast and are every bit as good as their carbon steel counterparts.

They are all made of excellent quality but since youare entering into a moistenviroment I would have to agree with the stainles or even a Triflex blade. the models you would look at are the 760,780 or 860 in frosts or in Eriksson you would look at the M2K or the 746 or 556.
http://home.cogeco.ca/~adude/index.htm

SMKW got the order. I picked up a standard Mora with the plain red wood handle and one of the "Swedish Army" knives in OD green They seem like really decent knives to have along if you already have a machete.

I regularly loan equipment out to first time wilderness survival students and I've been looking for a small knife that won't break the bank. I searched for five years in Brazil for a decent, locally produced, small utility knife and found nothing suitable. If these fill the bill I probably will buy several.

Thanks, Mac.

The Swedish Army mora has the same sort of grip as the Clipper or the blue stainless. Very secure, very comfortable. Very inexpensive. :D

Some time when you get a chance, I second the Mora 2000 also. It's a little different, bigger, built for a heavier grip, than the others.

Get the #780 triflex from Frost's, or another similar blade (the swedish army one is the same knife with an OD handle and sheath... they make a camo model as well, IIRC).

The colored bunch of "clippers" (like Cody Lundin proposes as a back-up blade) aren't as tough.

Cheers,

David

Here is a tough Bushcraft knife...

http://www.barkriverknifetool.com/outdoor-bushcraft/northstar-green.html

From the Bark River site,
"The North Star Belt Knife is a true practical, Outdoor/Bushcraft belt knife. We engineer this knife to be as compact as possible and still be stout enough for rugged use. At 4.625 ounces it is easy to pack and carry.

The spearpoint blade has a 4 inch sharp edge from plunge line to point. The back spine of the blade has a slow taper to the point to aid in penetration of wood. The convex blade grind will hold a fine razor sharp edge for carving, notching, and stripping bark. The point is excellent for drilling or boring into wood. The sharp edge has enough straight area from the plunge line to make food prep a breeze. The forward half of the blade has just enough curve on the edge for easy slicing.

The full exposed tang is tapered to the rear allowing a perfect balance on the firt finger. The blade spine is notched just forward of the handle slabs for use with a ferro rod or fire steel."

I talked to Mike Stewart at Bark River about a week ago. Nice guy and very helpful as I am an amateur when it comes to the science of knives. He said they were going to come out with a larger version of the North Star too per requests coming from UK.

I own a BRKT NorthStar and it's a real fine blade, but has a few drawbacks, especially for anyone that is used to a larger handle and we are still waiting for the replacement sheath to come. It's also slightly more in price than one of the Mora's. In fact, pict can buy 10+ of the SwAK blades for the price of the NS. I gotta say though, I really like my NS, even with the smallish grip and original sheath, but think I should have waited, because I would prefer a slightly better (larger) handle design.

No doubt that is a fine knife. I'd love to have one for myself but loaning it out to a novice on one of my three day survival courses won't fly. I NEEEED a decent $10 knife. I can't wait for my Mora's to get here. I leave for Brazil Jan 12th (for four years) so I don't have a great deal of time to get my gear in order. Mac

You will like your choices. I own a SwAK and it's a good blade and will do a great job for you. No experience with the red handled version, but lots of folks like them.

My Frost’s Mora Swedish Army Knife (SWAK) arrived yesterday. Actually it was there when I posted that I was still waiting. My wife hadn’t told me we got a box! It is an impressive little knife for under $10.

If I was the member of the Swedish armed services and they handed me this knife as an issue tool I’d object. IMO a soldier would need a more robust knife. For a camper, as a basic utility knife, when combined with an axe, hatchet or machete it will do just fine. In fact I’m going to order a few more.

For my use as part of basic equipment to be loaned out for a weekend survival course it is perfect. Used within its limitations I think it will cover a wide range of tasks likely to be encountered. I wish the sheath made more of an audible “click” when the knife locks in. That was one thing I appreciated about the Glock 81 field knife that I “issued” to my 11 year old daughter. When she was done with it we could both hear that it was secure.

The red handled Mora #1 that I picked up is a nice little knife too. I would not put it in the hands of a novice however. It’s way too sharp and with no guard it is an accident waiting to happen. One of my students said once “Mac, you have to remember we’re apartment boys.” The sheath is not very secure, just a little bit of wiggle and it comes loose.

Thanks for the input. Mac

I've got two more OD SWAK's and a Green handled clipper on the way. I'm all set. Mac

I need the WEB Site for the Swedish Army knife for $9.95, Please post the full site so I can go to it!

Thanks

Hey pict,

You might object. It doesn't look very tough... but just try to break it ;)

I did some testing. Batoning is no problem, even in twisted boxwood. Won't break, won't bend.

Test it hard and see for yourself ;)

Cheers,

David

I agree with David. They are a tough knife. I've bataned both the SwAK and M2K with zero ill effects on either knife. I've seen posts where the user actually broke one, but under normal outdoors use I can't see that happening too readily.

My old Mora that was given to me at 16 has been to damb neer eavery contanent in this world. Sorry its true.

It still has the ugly black "decorated" scabard with the flimsy nylonish plastic belt loop. The wooden handle has not cracked, or neaded any work to keep it polished.

Did/do still have issues of the blade rusting in silva terain. There is no stoping that. If you cant carry a bit of coconut butter (?) strope on your hand every so often will help to keep oils on the steel. But I have never had bad pitting. Actualy only discolloration is all I recieved.

Dont worrie. What you think you are going to be the first guy ever to go to the jungle for the first time?

Ask Viet vets! They carried KBars or "worse yet" Randalls in Carbon. How come we dont hear about there knives failing, or rusting out? Why? With some tlc and normal maintnance of equipment you wont have to worrie about a carbon knife, or a stainless.

Worrie more about how you are going to sleep. How you are going to carrie and boil water. Worrie when you go for a night piss how you will keep your feet on the ground guz of mosquetos trying to fly away with you.

Just trust me....the knife is the least of your worries.

Back