Best non-SAK with a Bottle Opener?

This is the better one for yourself; in your favorite steel, mine is Rex 45 :)

i-Rr28CkT-X3.jpg
Is that a bottle opening backspacer? Tell me more.

What about a Gerber Dime?
The best thing about it is the ever ready caplifter. I add kydex clips on string to the keychains and give them to coworkers as gifts.

I have a Gerber Dime. The cap lifter is excellent. Besides the pliers, that's the standout feature. There are a few issues though. First, the cap lifter is awkwardly positioned relative to the key ring attachment. This makes it harder to use and adversely affects the way it hangs on a key ring. Second, it leaves a lot to be desired as a multi tool besides these two features. (I have a thread looking for better alternatives here.)

The Dime carries pretty well in an ARC QuickDraw. It's just the right size that only the tab of the cap lifter sticks out from the top. That makes it easy to pull out and quick to use on a bottle.

Thanks for all the replies so far. There is some cool stuff here. At least for my needs, opening beverages around a campfire, something like that White River could work. I prefer having some scale to round out my grip but a friend here recently turned me on to the Tangram Brevis. I'll spend some more time with a knife sans-scales to see if I warm up to it. Meanwhile, I'm still on the prowl for cheap gift ideas in this ballpark.

BTW, I've seen the Esnyx Beer Buster. That's a wonderful design but way out of my price range. Why is nobody making a budget version of that???

Beer Scout & Crown Lifter by Great Eastern Cutlery
IMG_0314-X3.jpg

IMG_0298-X3.jpg

Definitely not of the cheap gift category (why not a SAK Pioneer??) but tough to beat a Beer Scout for bragging rights around the campfire. Such a great item, too bad it was sued out of existence by the Boy Scouts!

I have a Gerber Dime. The cap lifter is excellent. Besides the pliers, that's the standout feature. There are a few issues though. First, the cap lifter is awkwardly positioned relative to the key ring attachment. This makes it harder to use and adversely affects the way it hangs on a key ring. Second, it leaves a lot to be desired as a multi tool besides these two features. (I have a thread looking for better alternatives here.)

The Dime carries pretty well in an ARC QuickDraw. It's just the right size that only the tab of the cap lifter sticks out from the top. That makes it easy to pull out and quick to use on a bottle.
I never carried mine on a keychain, but you could fold out the one handle fir more space to use the cap lifter.
I appreciate the tweezers, those came in handy more than once when I didn't expect it, and the package blade was mighty handy as well (moreso than the main blade unless you seriously sharpen it). My main problem was actually that i expected too much from the pliers, so after breaking two Dimes, I bought a Wingman and then switched to an MP400 which I added a pocketclip to along with other modifications. That has served me much better, but I still prefer the cap lifter from the dime and wish EVERY multitool had it :cool:

... the package blade was mighty handy as well (moreso than the main blade unless you seriously sharpen it) ...

The clam shell cutter is a great idea. You can open that type of package with a regular knife but it can be awkward. The shape of the opening tool is nicely suited to the task. Unfortunately, it didn't take long for that tiny edge to get all beat up. I'm guessing it is made from the same 3Cr13 as the knife blade.

It's a shame because I actually like the shape of the knife. It didn't come very sharp either. Since any edge you put on there isn't going to last very long, I guess it helps to set the bar low? o_O

This is a big part of why I started the other thread. There are basically two entries into this size category for multitools. One is made from 3Cr13 and "the better one" is 420HC?!? Seriously, this is a popular size and lots of people carry these little tools. Why is nobody making a good one?

The clam shell cutter is a great idea. You can open that type of package with a regular knife but it can be awkward. The shape of the opening tool is nicely suited to the task. Unfortunately, it didn't take long for that tiny edge to get all beat up. I'm guessing it is made from the same 3Cr13 as the knife blade.

It's a shame because I actually like the shape of the knife. It didn't come very sharp either. Since any edge you put on there isn't going to last very long, I guess it helps to set the bar low? o_O

This is a big part of why I started the other thread. There are basically two entries into this size category for multitools. One is made from 3Cr13 and "the better one" is 420HC?!? Seriously, this is a popular size and lots of people carry these little tools. Why is nobody making a good one?
The crappy steel in the package blade didn't bother me, I just used a small file to bend the edge back and then a small hone to resharpen when necessary. Easily dulled but easy to restore. The knife itself was almost too much trouble to keep sharp, junk as it was. *shrug*

For a non knife opener, I have a nite ize doohikey on my keys.

i have heard that the tiny Leatherman KBX opener works. But honestly, something like the victorinox Bantam probably makes the classiest bottle opening gift, esp if you send it to me for a pocket clip install ;)

Lady Legs, small or large.

I prefer the smalls, but the large do have better leverage for prying caps.
Rough Rider makes them in a ton of different handle patterns, they are inexpensive, and perfect for cheap bottle opening knife gifts and/or stocking stuffers.
oHDXeoc.jpg

Top to bottom;
GEC
4 rough rider
3 schrade (discontinued) + 1 colt (all double blades)
1 timber wolf
1 ridge runner

The GEC (#28 french kate) is carbon steel and much more expensive.

All the others are 440 series steel, about $10-$20, and all have pretty good snap to them.

Last edited:
Check out DPX for yourself. Not cheap, but the "wave" on the blade is a decent bottle opener.

I think the Kershaw Pub is a fun bottle opener with a knife on it. Also, the pocket clip of the Buck Spitfire works as a bottle opener.

Carrying a Pub right now and just ordered 4 for some friends of mine. Great fit and finish and a cool little knife/tool! Well designed for sure!

view

This one is my favorite because it has a square hole for an acetylene bottle.

Last edited:
Back