best prices on precision ground 01

John Frankl

Gold Member
Just wondering who has the best prices on precision ground 01 in thicknesses of 3/32" and 1/8" by widths of 1" and 2". Until now I have forged everything, but I have an order for some stock removal kitchen knives, carbon steel. I started with some HR 1084, but quickly realized it is far from straight and far from uniform. The time it took to dial in a small paring knife convinced me that for the larger chef and sashimi knife simply going with precision ground would be cheaper/easier.

Thanks,

John

I bought a 6" by 36" sheet of 1/8" precision ground 01 from Admiral and it's great,nice and clean and good price too. They offer it in smaller sections. Here's a link to their 01 web page for you to check em out, John.

I have gotten nice looking precision ground O1 from Admiral too. You know that O1 will turn dark spots when it gets washed.

Roger

I'd been buying mine from Travers Tool but Tool and Die looked a bit cheaper so I just ordered some from them. Thanks Bob!

Dave

I ordered a piece of O1 from Tool and Die that morning, and recieved it the next day!

Now that is service. They get my vote!

Dave

Dave - I have had very good luck with Tool and Die. Good to see your hooked up with them.

Bob

Bob,

I ordered three pieces the other day. I don't have them yet, but the prices are great. Thanks.

By the way, what are you guys doing to this stuff as far as hardening and tempering?

Thanks,

John

I buy my O-1 from KBCTOOLS, they are the best prices than I found,
especially in Canada... It sell in the USA and in Canada and you can
order online:

www.kbctools.com

Alain M-D

John - I edge quench in a straight weight, mineral oil based motor oil. Oil at about 140F. I quench on the rise at just above non magnetic & get a lttle flaming with the oil. After the initial quench I gently rock the blade until the smoking stops. I do the file test, then I sand off some on the surface to see the temper color, then go right to the oven - 1 hour at 385 (indicated by 2 thermometers) & get light straw.

Everyone has their favorite oil and tempering cycle -you should also talk to Dan Gray - he has done lots of 01 and knows it about as well as one can - he taught me.

Bob

John, I use a lot of O1 and do it pretty much the same as Bob does. I use veterinary grade mineral oil for the quench and keep it at 140F - 150F. I use an industrial thermometer in the kitchen oven and always run the oven for 1/2 hour before tempering to ensure stability. 400F does not pass the brass rod test. I get a little roll of the edge. 350F leaves it a bit too hard, but does give a fine edge. It is just a bit more difficult to sharpen and can chip if the edge is thin. I have found, as Bob notes, that 375F- 385F puts me right on the money.

I'll second what Fox says I had the same experience - also, as little as 10 - 20 degrees seems to make a big difference with 01.

Bob

Thanks everyone.

Bob, Got the steel today. It looks great. Packaged nicely and sandwiched between some 1x2s to prevent bending during transit. Can't wait to do my first stock removal stuff.

John

Stock Removal :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hee hee, just kidding ya John. I still do some grinding too...notably S30V.

O1 is great steel. It will patina and/or rust like a mother (IME) but it cuts like a mother too.

Do you have access to salt? In my salt rig I can just submerge it in 1450 F salt, let it soak about 4-5 minutes after the salt equalizes and then quench in Tough Quench. It will get screaming hard and with that I need a little higher temper...but 385 is definitely in the range.

I am learning about methods like those discussed by makers like Tim Zowada and Kevin Cashen in fully austenitizing it like that and then drawing the spine back later.

It makes for some kind of tough in a blade :)

Let us know how it goes John!
Nick

I only wish I had salts. Just wait till I get back to CA. I'll be up in WA a few times a year to pester you guys. If you marquenched into low temp salts I don't think you'd even have to draw the spine back.

John

Back