best production edge retention

I own a lot of knives and am partial to high quality production knives. I own kabar, Becker, cold steel, camillus Becker, falkniven, bark river, mora, and rat. I was going to carry my rc 3 more as a permanent edc but I was surprised to read the hardness is 57. I usually equate hardness with edge retention. What production knives have amazing edge retention?

Sounds like you want a fixed blade EDC? It is a little easier to find folders with 'super steels' but I'm sure someone can recommend something if you let us know a little more about what you are looking for. Size? Price? What type of use? etc.

Look at the spyderco mule team project, I have the first 3, #1 was 52100 @62rc, #2 was CPM-M4 and #3 was CPM-S90V. There are many more steels now and some currently available, but if you can find a M4 snatch it up. All steels have best available HT's as these are for testing so no worries there.

They make a great user blade and are probably your cheapest option for EDC fixed blades with high end steels.

I own a lot of knives and am partial to high quality production knives. I own kabar, Becker, cold steel, camillus Becker, falkniven, bark river, mora, and rat. I was going to carry my rc 3 more as a permanent edc but I was surprised to read the hardness is 57. I usually equate hardness with edge retention. What production knives have amazing edge retention?

Edge retention is affected by hardness. It is also affected by alloy.

At the same hardness, 1095 has about the same edge retention as AUS8. Any 1% carbon stainless steel will hold an edge better than 1095 if both are at the same hardness.
440C, N690, VG1, VG10, 154CM/ATS-34/14-4CrMo would all be candidates.

S30V is superior to those in edge retention. So is D2.

For an outdoors knife, I like S30V.

I have heard amazing things about CPM M4.

For me, at the top of the list are ZDP-189, and the above mentioned CPM M4.

I've also been very impressed with the Fallkniven 3G (SGPS/VG-2 laminate).

IMO, top three steels in edge retention are S90V, CPM-M4, and ZDP-189, you can get M4 on the spyderco gayle bradley, the zdp-189 on the stretch 2, as well as several other models. S90V which has the best edge retention I think, can't really be found in production models besides the occasional sprint run like the manix 2, a military, and the above mentioned mule team fixed blade. There's talk of an upcoming sprint run of the not yet released spyderco paramilitary 2 with Carpenter's version of S90V which should be interesting, but if you do decide to go with that I'm sure they'll go extremely fast.

Back