best sharpener for field use?

AG Russell has a field sharpener that is fantastic. I bought one just to check it out,and soon after bought myself 2 more.

------------------
Bill
Salem, Virginia

AG Russell has a field sharpener that is fantastic. I bought one just to check it out,and soon after bought myself 2 more.

------------------
Bill
Salem, Virginia

highrent,

I like it too, but the angle is acute at 15 degrees, for some uses. Too bad it does not also have 20 degrees like the Sharpmaker 204. Despite the short size of the rods, I have used the diamond rods on some particularly stubborn knives, to do a back bevel, before then switching to the Sharpmaker, if I wanted a 20 degree* angle as the final. (*40 degree combined or included angle.)

I've found that Spyderco offers a ceramic "stone". I forget the name (it's at home), but it's about 6 inches long, maybe inch and a half wide.. and has two sides ("coarse" and "fine").

Not great, but it's relatively light weight and compact, doesn't need oil.. and should handle even the hardest knife edge.

That doesn't mean I'm not including a couple of Duafold DMT sharpeners, though
smile.gif

Hi All!
What a great forum!!!
I guess my kids are going to have to raise themselves and my wife is going to have to find a boy friend.
smile.gif
Believe it or not, I have found that my $5 Wal-Mart diamond stone does all I need while out in the field. I know it's not glamourous but i get a certain satisfaction out of using it. JEFF RANDALL where are you??? I need you to watch my backside on this one. I don't want to get laughed off the forums with this.
smile.gif
By the way Jeff, did you get to read my "Best freaking poster of the millenium" post? Millenium...milennium... millennium...oh I give up. Which one is it Walt? I guess it doesn't matter. It doesn't really happen until next year anyway.
Take care, (And a big knife)
Jim  

P.S. If Ron can use a stream rock, I can use my Wal-Mart stone.

[This message has been edited by HUNTER3897 (edited 03 December 1999).]

I'm glad to see I'm not alone on this one. I carry two compact EZE LAP rods in small kits. I also have small stones in other kits and on knife sheaths.

------------------
Plainsman :)
primitiveguy@hotmail.com

Hey Jim, no worry, I got your six on this
one
smile.gif

I've been using a walmart diamond hone for several years. Tried a whole host of other field sharpeners and keep going back.

It's weighs next to nothing, got a good gripping surface and just keeps on keeping on.

The only thing it doesn't work good on is Kukris due to the blade design...but I don't care for Kukris anyway.

Just read your 'millenium poster' message. Appreciate the kind words....I'm sure that not all (maybe most) would agree
smile.gif
Oh well...

Machetes just work for me and millions of others when it comes to tropical environments. Most of the Americans we take into the jungle prefer the RTAK or other large blade over machetes, but the indigs ALWAYS go back to their 'POS' machetes.

As a side note, I just reviewed a couple of blades in the jungle...they worked great and I was very impressed with both, but I still wouldn't trade one machete for 10 of these knives if given the choice of only one blade to use on an extended jungle stay.

Hey, I would love to sell you an RTAK, but if you're going to the jungle spend 135 dollars less and get you a machete. I'm not here to sell you anything, just tell you what we found that works good. Walmart and Ontario have done me well
smile.gif
- Jeff

------------------
Randall's Adventure & Training
jeff@jungletraining.com

[This message has been edited by JeffRandall (edited 04 December 1999).]

Jim and Jeff, I was just in Wal-Mart today! If I had read this thread first I might have spent the $5-$6 on the stone. It is made by Eze-Lap so it should be good. (I know people keep arguing between DMT and Eze-Lap, or 3M, but I'll ignore that here.) I did notice it. The one I handled felt rather heavy, if a few ounces can be heavy. (Diamond coated metal base) I probably held off because in this design I would like to try the Eze-Lap wallet ones. Otherwise, I would just use one of the ones that I already have. The Wal-Mart/Eze-Lap looked sturdy. Is it coated all over with the same grit? If so the edge could be used on recurves and the corner of the edge on serations.

Kirk, It is called the Double Stuff, 5" x 1". A custom knife maker I talk to at shows, swears by his medium only version which is (as I recall) about as thick as these two combined and a little longer and wider. His is certainly not one of the Spyderco bench stones. A quick gander at their site does not clarify that for me.... His sounds more like the size you mentioned. Perhaps they have changed models???

I carry an EZELap Diamond Rod stuffed in with my Gerber Mulitipliers constantly.

If you are caught without a sharpener but have your vehicle, the downsloping edge of your window will make an adeqaute substitute for a ceramic sharpener.

[This message has been edited by MichLee (edited 06 December 1999).]

I've received several personal E-Mails asking where to obtain Sterling Superior Sharpeners, that I mentioned earlier so here goes:
E-Mail; www.2xsharp.com

Phone No. 1-800-2X-SHARP

I would be careful of using any carbide type sharpener on a "good" blade.They actually peel steel away from the edge.I use them sometimes on machetes and fillet knives and other inexpensive stuff I have to sharpen often and in a hurry, but I wouldn't touch one of my good blades with one.I even have trouble bringing myself to use one on my Ontario machetes out of respect for thier usefulness.
m

My favorite is an old Gerber steel. It folds into a leather case that functions as a handle and has two sharpening surfaces -- grooved on the edges & fairly smooth on the flats. The end is also tapered to do double duty as a chisel or light pry bar.

I also have a couple of pocket steels, one grooved & one medium diamond, that usually have a home in one of my vest pockets. I've been thinking about getting a DMT pocket diamond hone as well for when steeling is not enough. The truth is, however, steeling is usually all that I need in the field.

------------------
Cheers,

--+Brian+--

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, Babe, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride.

That's why I respect you so much Jeff. You could be trying to hype the RTAK every time you post. (From what I've learned about it, and Newt, it sells itself.) But instead, you tell someone to go to Wal-Mart or buy an Ontario machete. That takes class and says a lot about you. That's also why I'll be buying an RTAK eventually and dragging my 260# butt through the jungle one day. Let me know if you get sick of the humidity and want to dogsled into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness one day. A couple years back it was -59 degrees at my place. (That wasn't wind chill either.) If the cold weather isn't your cup of tea, the canoeing is pretty incredible in the summer. No motors of any kind allowed. It gets pretty remote up there. (Although I'm sure it's nothing like the jungle. My boss is ex-CIA and was stationed in Panama. He trained a lot in Costa Rica and Central America and said the jungle is a lot wilder than the bush.) Anyway, keep up the great reviews and try to stay alive long enough for me to join you down there.
Take care, (And a big knife)
Jim

Back