Best Sharpener For Novice

What is the best sharpening system for a novice ie: Lansky , Spyderco , etc. Happy Turkey Day , Mike...

Hi Mike,
I'm a big fan of the Spyderco Sharpmaker. I've been using it since May of '85. I can't maintain a proper angle on a stone to save my life so the preset angles on the Spyderco really help alot. I tried out a Lansky. Didn't like the way the edge looked afterwards. Maybe I just wasn't using it right. See if you can find a cutlery store or similar establishment that has a demo model of either that you can try out for yourself. Just my 2 cents.

------------------
Greg Namin
The world is 75% water. The rest is drop zone.

I use the Lansky set to put the edge on my newly made knives. This way i get a very precise line on the edge. I dont use it after this. I use bench stone by spydeco because it works better and faster when i resharpen. But at this point i have the nice line.

------------------
Jens Ansø

In my opinion, the best way to sharpen a knife is to buy a good set of bench stones (Norton, Spyderco, Arkansas etc..) and take the time to learn to use them well. I also use a piece of 3" x 18" leather to finish strop the blade.

The best info on the web about sharpening a knife can be found on Don Foggs excellent website. www.dfoggknives.com
You will have to get there and search for the area about sharpening, but it will be worth the search!!

Back