Best shoe (boot) repair glue?

glockman99

RIP Dann, you were a good guy.
My Sears "Die-Hard" (Yah, right...:(.) boots are falling apart...The soles are coming-off the bottom of the boot (due) to a poor factory gluing job. Can anyone suggest a GOOD glue to buy to repair this?

(And yes, I DID try returning them to Sears today for an exchange, and although I haven't worn then all that much, I have owned then for over 6 months, so I'm SOL on being able to exchange them.:mad:.).

Shoe Goo has worked well for me. Takes a long time to dry. Can need forming (tape) and clamping to accomplish the task.

Phil

I thank-you all for your replies :). It looks like I'm going to buy a tube/bottle of "ShoeGoo". Actually when the "sales associate" told me that Sears wasn't "able" to exchange the boots for me, he also suggested "ShoeGoo" to repair the boots with.

Why would they not exchange them?

Originally posted by rycen
Why would they not exchange them?
Because I went over their "warrenty time period". BTW, that is THE LAST pair of shoes/boots that I buy from Sears!.:mad:.

There is no "warrenty time period" at Sears.It says satisfaction gauranteed or your mony back right on the slip.Talk to a manger,you will get mew boots.Trust me as I used to work there (not that depot)It was the worst place to work they suck but.They have blackballed me for over a year!!!I HATE SEARS:barf: :mad: :mad: :mad:

If Shoogoo doesn't do the job, I would recommend Goop. You can find it at hardware stores, and there are several types, for home repairs, general purpose, and outdoor use. I've had very good luck using it for different repairs over the years.

Several years ago, a friend bought himself a nice pair of shoes. I thought they seemed pretty pricey, and he told me "shoes are not something to save money on".
Experience has taught me that he's absolutely right.

what about this stuff?

I bought a bottle and have yet to use it. Anyone have any experience with it?

Gluing on a sole doesn't require much strength -- there's no great force acting to break the bond unless you step on something really sticky. Any brand of contact cement you have around will work fine.

Originally posted by Cougar Allen
Gluing on a sole doesn't require much strength -- there's no great force acting to break the bond unless you step on something really sticky...
...Not even my 265 pounds pounding-down on the sole everytime I take a step? I would think that that would cause alot of stress on the sole to bottom of boot interface...Especially when you factor-in the flex of the boot with each step. It seems like the flexibility of the "ShoeGoo" would work better than a more rigid glue.

Goop, duct tape, 550 cord....essentials I rely on. Just finished up a minor boot repair with Goop on a well-used pair of leather hunting boots....will be good to go on Monday.
Jim

Your weight pounding down is not a force acting to break the bond; it's a force acting to reinforce the bond. Flexibility is needed but not strength. I've used a variety of contact cements and they all worked.

Originally posted by johnniet
Several years ago, a friend bought himself a nice pair of shoes. I thought they seemed pretty pricey, and he told me "shoes are not something to save money on".
Experience has taught me that he's absolutely right.
Hehe, you gotta make sure that they won't fall apart on you though. My roommate's pair of Cole Haan boots fell apart within 2 months, exactly where glockman99's pair of Sears "Die Hard" boots did. :)

Just gotta make sure all that money is going towards both design *and* execution.

I worked in a shoe repair/resole shop and this is how we did it:
With a resole which required just gluing the new sole first the old sole was ground down with a belt sander
Next, thinned contact cement was applied to new sole and bottom of boot/shoe.
Then, both parts were placed under a heat lamp to dry the cement.
After that, the new sole was place on the boot/shoe and the boot place over a metal foot shaped anvil and an air press was used to squeze the sole down on the boot for a few min.
lastly, the excess sole on the sides of the boot were ground down so the sole did not stick out past the upper.
the contact cement is great for this type of repair. Just make sure that the applied surfaces are dry before you stick em togeather.
After you stick em a gorrilla couldnt pull a sole apart Trust me.

Back