Best small multi tool?

I know theres a forum for this, but this get's more traffic.
So, I'm trying to choose between the Leahterman Micra and the SOG one with the geared pliers. Which one is a higher quality and is there a Gerber equivalent? Thanks

How about the Leatherman Squirt, it has pliers where the Micra has scissors.

In the small "multi tool" category I would go with one of the Squirt models.
I wish Victorinox would bring out something in this size range.

Paul

I really like the Micra. I know a lot of folks say a small multi-tool with pliers is the more desirable option but I find that the scissors are more useful during the normal course of the day. However, when I do need pliers I use my LM Supertool.

GarageBoy said:
I know theres a forum for this, but this get's more traffic.
So, I'm trying to choose between the Leahterman Micra and the SOG one with the geared pliers. Which one is a higher quality and is there a Gerber equivalent? Thanks

The LM Squirt is better than the micra IMHO, and I have had both. The squirt is a bit shorter and fatter, but has all the same functions (Squirt S4). I also like that the tweezers on the squirt are removed for use, which makes them much easier to use (just remember to put them back!) than the attached ones on the micra. All the squirt tools are accessed from the outside, like the juice series, so you do not have to open it to file or turn a screw or get the tweezers.

The SOG compound leverage is very nice and make for decent scissors (longer than the squirt also). The only issues are that the tweezers are built in (harder to use) and the gears chew on pants. But the SOG comes with a little slip case to keep it in.

I seem to remember many posts on these (LM vs. SOG vs. Squirt etc) in the multi-tool forum about 6 mos ago...check there.

I love my squirt although the aluminium bolsters get chipped and scratched. I have also heard good things about the SOG Crossgrip and I have one on the way but its suposed to be somewhat larger than the squirt/micra and not really suitable for a keychain but still small.

There is also the leatherman minitool which I store with my travel stuff as its useful when I need full size pliers in a small package, I also dont mind the lack of other tools as I EDC a squirt P4 and a calypso jr. so that covers the basics.

I like the Squirt better than the Micra, but I like the CrossGrip a lot better than either. The CrossGrip's compound leverage makes it the only plier in anything close to that size that I've ever found to be really useful. The gearing never struck me as necessary for scissors, but I have to admit that the CrossCut can go through things I would never try with ordinary scissors either.

The selection of secondary tools is fairly comparable between the two brands, but everything on the SOGs is heavier built than on the Leathermans. (Check out the stout little clip-point blade on the SOGs.) Even though multi-tools that size probably aren't going to be pushed too hard I'll take the tougher one, just in case.

--Bob Q

I just bought a gerber and I love it... The knife blades needed a little touchup to start, but otherwise, it's great...

quality wise, leatherman seems to be a better choice. the gerber i've handled was rattling when you shake it, while the leatherman wasn't. It seems to be due to the pliers on the gerber which you can get out of the handle using gravity. nice gadget thing, but if they can't produce it with tighter tolercance, they should've let it be.

so, i'd take the leatherman. way better product in my opinion.

I use a LM Squirt P4 on my keychain. The Squirt S4 I purchased at the same time sits on my dresser unused.

In my glovebox I keep a LM Crunch. It has a vice grip feature and accepts 1/4" socket drivers. I've never had to use the socket drivers to do engine work, but it's nice to know they're there.

I use the vice grips feature all the time. All the gas stations in my state are removing the locking feature from their pump nozzles. The Crunch lets me lock the nozzle in the "on" position and frees me up to wash windows, etc.

Garageboy,
I had a buddy who worked on AAV's as a mechanic. Most of the mechanics carried gerber's because they were issued as gear. Most of them came back from Iraq with at least one tool or blade snapped or broken. The Leatherman's tools are all hardened steel. My supertool is harder to open but I know it's tough as hell.

I think we are getting off track. By _small_ multitool, Garageboy eliminates anything the size of the LM juice and wave, or bigger.

I would call a juice a medium size, an LM wave would be med/large and an LM supertool, SOG Powerlock and Gerber Legend would be LARGE.

Basically keychain size. Here are the options:
GERBER: I have not seen anything solid in this size range.
SOG:
CrossGRIP: Plier based, with compound leverage.
CrossCUT: Scissors based with compound leverage.
LEATHERMAN:
Micra: Scissors based.
MiniTool: Pliers based, but too large for keychain.
Squirt P4: Pliers based.
Squirt S4: Scissors based.

There are others, but most don't have nearly as many features as the above. I would pick the squirt for light use and tougher materials I'd pick the SOGs.

klattman said:
I think we are getting off track. By _small_ multitool, Garageboy eliminates anything the size of the LM juice and wave, or bigger.

I would call a juice a medium size, an LM wave would be med/large and an LM supertool, SOG Powerlock and Gerber Legend would be LARGE.

Basically keychain size. Here are the options:
GERBER: I have not seen anything solid in this size range.
SOG:
CrossGRIP: Plier based, with compound leverage.
CrossCUT: Scissors based with compound leverage.
LEATHERMAN:
Micra: Scissors based.
MiniTool: Pliers based, but too large for keychain.
Squirt P4: Pliers based.
Squirt S4: Scissors based.

There are others, but most don't have nearly as many features as the above. I would pick the squirt for light use and tougher materials I'd pick the SOGs.

Or buy all the ones with pliers like I did, and try them out!

Back