Best source for Mule Team knife scales

Outside of Spyderco itself, what are some of the best sources for aftermarket knife scales for the Mule Team series?

I've found a few online, but interested to hear if folks in the forum have had good first hand experience acquiring aftermarket scales made for the Mule Team series.

Spyderco sells a sheath that fits (the scales they sell are Halpern)

Spyderco sells a sheath that fits (the scales they sell are Halpern)

OK thx, but nitpicky add-on Q. Will the Spyderco sheath fit the 3D Halpern scales? Seems to me those are a different shape. But, perhaps not at the point that the scales interface with the sheath.

The scales Spyderco sells ARE Halpern 3D scales.
In this picture, the black scales were purchased from Spyderco, the red from Halpern Titanium.
hdzxAec.jpg

Cool, that answers it, thanks! That makes for a very cost-effective solution if I get Halpern scales and the Spyderco factory sheath (total $80 for both). I hate to trouble you, but, can you measure or at least estimate the total width of the grip at the widest point of the scales?

Related item: These Spyderco Mule knives seem so well designed for a very small light knife, I wonder that more people who are "EDC" carrying fixed blades don't use these. They seem perfect for this kind of usage, and so thin/light that you'd hardly feel them.

With the above-pictured scales and using my non-digital calipers, my K390 is about .63" side to side at the center screw.

Thanks guys. Just ordered the blue/black G10 3D scales from Halpern, $50. Haven't decided what I'll do about a sheath yet. The Spydie factory sheath is an affordable solution, but I confess I'm a bit of a sheath snob and really not fond of those. I just threw the boltaron sheath for my Street Beat in the trash, if that gives any indication, after my new custom sheath arrived. Because Spyderco dings you so heavily for shipping, the $30 sheath goes up to $43 for me, for a sheath I'm really not fond of. Going with a custom sheath from a place I like, such as Mashed Cat or Survival Sheath system, will only be about $10 more including shipping, so I think I'll go custom for the sheath.

ETA: Thoughts on why more people don't EDC these Mule Team blades? They seem potentially perfect for that.

Quick informal list of ready-made Mule Team sheaths I can find, no idea on comparative quality:

Spydie Sheath:
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/MTSH/Mule-Team-Boltaron-Sheath/1039

SheathPro:
https://knifesheathspro.com/

OKKnives (but I don't think this would work, as sheath is designed for his custom scales):
http://www.okknives.com/8.html

Screech Owl knives (same as previous--sheath I'd guess would REQUIRE his scales):
https://screechowlknives.com/p/spyderco-mules

Azwelke (I'm hoping these work with the Halpern/factory 3D handles):
http://www.azwelke.com/sheaths/spyderco/

Ian Atkinson (leather, I assume these work with factory handles):
http://www.ianatkinson.net/leather/spydercobushcraft.htm

Others? Recommended?

Last edited:
Does somebody make a sheath to fit their 3D micarta handles? Or do you have to go custom?
Get the baltoron sheath that spyderco sells. You won't regret it. They fit with all the Halperin scales iirc.

Baltoron is not very popular because everyone is using kydex but baltoron is so much better. Once you try it you'll see.

In anycase, spyderco source them from another company, I forgot the name of. They may or may not have better shipping. Edit: found it... Called SheathPro Inc.

If you Google spyderco mule team scales you might find another brand or two that make scales but most people get scales custom made or make their own.

Last edited:
OK appreciate the input. I know I sure didn't like the Boltaron with the Street Beat. My issue is not the material itself, or the overall design or appearance of the sheath, all that was just fine. My problem was the awful, shoddy fit and poor retention. I tried a few careful attempts to improve the fit, nothing worked.

On the place that Spyderco sources these from, could it be the SheathPro company I linked above? On their site, the Spyderco sheaths listed look similar to some factory sheaths I've seen, but I only owned one previous Spydie fixed blade, so I'm just guessing.

OK appreciate the input. I know I sure didn't like the Boltaron with the Street Beat. My issue is not the material itself, or the overall design or appearance of the sheath, all that was just fine. My problem was the awful, shoddy fit and poor retention. I tried a few careful attempts to improve the fit, nothing worked.

On the place that Spyderco sources these from, could it be the SheathPro company I linked above? On their site, the Spyderco sheaths listed look similar to some factory sheaths I've seen, but I only owned one previous Spydie fixed blade, so I'm just guessing.
Dunno why your sheath didn't work as intended. Did it not have a warranty? Not sure if they would have replaced it or if that was a common issue with that model.

My boltaron Sheath fits perfectly with the mule team with Halperin Titanium flat carbon fiber scales. Keeps it in just fine. No rattle at all. Retention is great. It's also satisfying to take out, and when I take it off my belt I'll launch the sheath off... Kinda fun to fidget with.

And yes that link you posted is sheaths pro the same folks iirc that offer the mule team boltaron sheaths through spyderco. Or so I've heard.

Well Spyderco is out of stock on everything Mule Team anyway, handles and sheaths, so I guess it's a moot point. I pinged SheathPro to see if they can make one. It's no longer listed as an option in their online store either.

All else fails, I'll just get a custom one at Survival Sheath, it won't cost much more, but it'll be the additional hassle of shipping them the knife.

I tried the okknives scales/sheath combo. The scales were "okay", but the sheath was unusable. The knife didn't go in easily; and, once there, it was nearly impossible to get out. While on my belt? Forget about it. I had to take it off to remove the knife.
I contacted the seller, he basically said I was doing it wrong & would send a video showing me how. The video never came. He was okay with me returning them...but then never refunded my money - I had to file a claim with PayPal.
Just my experience - ymmv

If Sheath Pro is what Spyderco is selling, the retention is great - I carry mine handle down with no problems...and the release is a breeze.
(Azwelke will be doing the sheath for my dive knife. I put it on hold because I was getting new gear & wanted to consider attachment options. I've always been happy with Al's work, and recommend him without hesitation.)

Just got in my Halpern 3D grips in G10, those are spendy but fantastic. Also have a sheath on order with Survival Sheath Systems. When I have the whole kit in-hand, I'll post pics.

Very helpful thread here. Has been almost a decade since my last Mule - time flies.

Just picked up one in 20CV and now hunting for scales and a sheath. Looks like Halpern + Azwelke is the way to go.

Thinking about a pancake sheath from Azwelke. GTG with Tek Lok spacing? Delivery times reasonable?

Any other info or suggestions are appreciated.

I'm having a sheath made by Survival Sheath Systems, as Robert has done a lot of sheaths for me before. He's rigging it with paracord and a small tek lok so it can either be carried slung under one arm (with handle pointing down, for cross draw) or it can be carried vertically or horizontally on your belt. His are an extra $10 or $15 over some of the alternatives, but I find they are extremely well made and have great retention, I don't mind a couple extra $.

Back