best tactical flashlight on a budget?

im looking for a nice tactical flashlight (handheld, not attatched to a firearm) for under $25 - $30. what are some of the best you guys have come to experience?

On a budget? Two are exceptional: Energizer 1AA available at Target and Rayovac Indestructable 2AA available at Home Depot. Both are LEDs and have lifetime guarantees. Both around $15.

Others are more expensive but do the same job.

I'll second the vote for the Energizer 1 AA tactical LED flashlight. It's a great little no-nonsense flashlight with a very good pocket clip. I wish it had a low power option, but the simplicity of it's operation is a plus in itself. The switch can be operated momentarily or clicked on, and it comes with a usable lanyard.

I have just got GearLight S1000 tactical flashlight and it comes under $20. It is rated as one of the
The s1000 and the others that look identical are very bad flashlights. Don't believe everything you read from random sites trying to sell stuff. There used to be a flashlight blog that tested alot of different lights and that particular style had a reseller that was a scam artist running the company and was selling faulty models on purpose. Though can't say that now since everyone has copied that design and sells it under different names.

I think many people have different ideas of a "tactical" flashlight. It might help if you think of design features, then ask what flashlights have those in your price range. For example:

1. How big? The size of a roll of dimes, quarters, a toilet paper role, a nightstick?
2. How bright? Some people prefer super high, some people not so much.
3. Throw vs flood? For example, for indoor use, I much prefer a good flood, but for long distance identification outside, I prefer good throw.
4. How long will it be on at a time? Bright lights with a small battery/batteries have shorter use times.
5. Crowned bezel or not? Some people think that it is an aid as a defensive tool, some do not.
6. How many brightness modes? Some people prefer multiple plus strobe for "tactical", some prefer single output for "tactical".
7. Do you need a momentary on capability? Some people prefer that on a "tactical" light.
8. Do you want "tactical" accessories available? For example, some brands have an adapter for a seperate on/off switch, are compatible with certain gun mounts, or have beefed up springs and internal circuitry for dealing with the constant battering of being mounted on a firearm.
9. For pocket carry, w/ or w/o clip, reversible clip, sheath carry, or pack carry... Personally, my emergency pack flashlight is a headlamp.
10 What type of battery? For example, CR123's offer more voltage than AA, but are often very expensive and not as easy to find if bought locally... side note: if you purchase directly from SureFire, their price for CR123 batteries is often a fraction of local CR123 prices and often newer.

There are probably a ton of other options. As others mentioned, their are other forums that might have more members that are more dedicated to flashlights for any purpose. In all honesty, the flashlight that US soldiers used to crawl through tunnels in Vietnam would be poo-pooed by many today... and a similar version could probably be picked up for around $10 at Wal***t.

Personally, the oldest "high tech" flashlight I still use is an older version of the SureFire E2D. I love that light, and still use it when I travel across state lines on the motorcycle. However, it was too big for a pocket EDC (for me; plus that bezel can rip apart pockets), I didn't want to dedicate a space on my belt for it (sheath carry), and I didn't like having to order batteries online for decent pricing. Although I have other flashlights/headlamps for different purposes, my current EDC flashlight that doesn't leave me wanting is an EagleTac Clicky single AA (I have the Ti version, but that was just for personal bling)... not the best, fanciest, brightest, etc. but I use it a LOT, and haven't found any reason to change/upgrade it.

If I had to replace it and were restricted to local shops instead of online-only options, I'd probably go with a Streamlight Compact ProTac 1L-1AA at Cab**a's, although I'd miss some of the features on my EagleTac Clicky.

The s1000 and the others that look identical are very bad flashlights. Don't believe everything you read from random sites trying to sell stuff. There used to be a flashlight blog that tested alot of different lights and that particular style had a reseller that was a scam artist running the company and was selling faulty models on purpose. Though can't say that now since everyone has copied that design and sells it under different names.
necro spam. Probably an astro-turfer.

In the $30 range I’m a fan of the Streamlight Microstream USB. For a few bucks less (not rechargeable, not as bright) I like the Lumintop Tool Clicky. Just depends on how bright you need your light to be. :thumbsup:

ThorFire VG-10 is a solid light for the $ . 1X 18650 battery . Easy to carry yet big enough to be a baton for SD .
I took off the cigar ring and reversed the clip so that the head faces down in my back pocket .

Back