Best Tactical Tomahawk

Ive been looking over my collection and useally the first thing I useally grab is an axe or a hachet when I what to get some serrious chopping down I guess its my inner viking coming out lol, but I need a serrious upgrade so What kind of Tomahawk would be best for me? I perfer a more tactical look, multi purpose, and is at all possible a frankinsh/Norse type blade. I've been considering some ideas from Cold Steel, Ontario, and Also Condor. But I was wondering if anyone else has some ideas?

I really like the VTAC, got one a few years back, but haven't gotten a good chance to use it yet.

It depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to use it for.

I like my RMJ Shrike S13 and Winkler Stealth Axe but I might pick something else for woods use.

"CRKT Kangee or Chogan. Give them a look and see if you can resist "

+1

I just got my Kangee. Haven't had an opportunity to put it to use yet but my initial impression is very positive.

knifeart_2255_455496771

With her, i believe in first sight in love.

What material are you doing this "serious chopping down" on? There's a big difference between a wood choppper, a figher, and a breacher. Most tactical hawks are not made just to chop wood, they are both weapon and utility tool. The steel choice and the edge geometry for one is not the best for the other.
If you want a dedicated wood chopper, in the tactical/full tang style I suggest a Winkler Camp Axe or maybe a Self Reliance Tools Scout Recon. OTOH, if you're talking about chopping cinder block walls, doors, cars, glass, then there are lots of options for that.
You don't have to spend lots of money on a hawk to go beat on some stuff. I've abused the Ontario RD Hawk, and it's pretty tough. For the same amount of money you can get the new CRKT Kangee, I like it better than the RD Hawk. I've only beat up a wooden fence post or two so far with it, I like my car the way it is.;)

Another vote for Daniel Winkler, has the research behind even if a bit pricey.

large.jpg

Doug

mi50c25ad4.jpg

A full, tapered tang Magua with a hammer poll instead of spike would be my ideal hawk.

Last edited:
Back