1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Best thin/light fixed blades?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by steelhog, Jun 30, 2019.

1. JustaNick

JustaNick

Feb 3, 2019
    Any knife of Suwannee River work for you?

2. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Condor Kephart and BK62 Kephart are right about 1/8”. Old Hickory and Green River knives are typically under 1/8”, or 2-3mm.

3. Skidoosh

Skidoosh Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Spyderco Sprig
    Spyderco mule- like cruwear? How about micromelt PD#1 - $69 still in stock, crazy
    Lauri PT blades- 80CRV2 @ 61 HRC on the edge

David Richardson likes this.
  4. ShannonSteelLabs

ShannonSteelLabs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 9, 2015
    That PD-1 for $69 is crazy!! A Stupid good deal!!!!!
    They had one at bladeshow for $50. I should have bought it but I ended up getting something in REX 121.

Skidoosh and David Richardson like this.
  5. DrHenley

DrHenley

May 31, 2019
    [​IMG]

slyraven and GB940Rookie like this.
  6. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Yes. A fantastic thin, lite, production fixed blade. The steel is an added bonus.
    [​IMG]

Bigfattyt, Grateful, miso2 and 6 others like this.
  7. David Richardson

David Richardson Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2018
    Crazy to me that any of the mules are still available. I get why Sal/Eric are hesitant to make more of them. PM A11 shows out of stock now. Until recently it was available too.

ShannonSteelLabs likes this.
  8. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Laser like Cowboy from .070 AEB-L at 63RC.

[​IMG]

jux t, arrowhd, buckfynn and 6 others like this.
  9. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Moras, of course, Roselli Carpenter and erapuukko, Spyderco Mules, Ivan Campos Scandi, Kellam puukkos, for a start.

10. hexenjager

hexenjager Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Do you find the Sprig's handle comfortable in use? I've been contemplating picking one up on the secondary market.

11. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Another vote for Big Chris knives, they are thin and light and very premium

Bigfattyt and ShannonSteelLabs like this.
  12. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    This for sure! Great edge geometry and h.t. in 52100, handmade in Croatia and a hell of a deal. I've got 2 of them. Doesn't everyone want a knife made in Croatia?--KV

13. Skywalker31

Skywalker31

Feb 29, 2012
    Spyderco Junction is 0.100" PSF27 (sprayform D2). Discontinued but can still be found pretty easily; didn't seem to sell that well.

Design was kind of for a lightweight backpacker so the handle is tall but a little thin as well. Functional but personally wish it was more similar to Sprig or Southfork. (That, or just that the Sprig had been made with 2.5 or 2 mm stock instead of 3 mm.)

14. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    I don't have the sprig. I'm guessing I would like it though. I do own the south fork. As designed by Phil Wilson, the handles of his knives are very comfortable, but lacking some traction if I can be honest.

This is the waterway. The handle is slim and the knife is lite, as in the theme of this thread. I wouldn't want to work in the woods for hours on end with the thing but in the kitchen or breaking down various things (tomatoes, fish, game, cardboard even), the waterway will excel.

jux t and hexenjager like this.
  15. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Yep, this right here.

jux t and craytab like this.
  16. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2016
    The Sprig. Not super thin stock but nice behind the edge. Very handy for many different tasks. Holds an edge for a long time.
    [​IMG]

Cscotttsss, jux t, craytab and 4 others like this.
  17. hexenjager

hexenjager Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Gotcha. Thanks all. I had no idea the Waterway existed.

jux t likes this.
  18. ridnovir

ridnovir Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Look into TRC splinter

19. Beastchopper

Beastchopper Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 23, 2018
    http://imgur.com/gallery/RSfchri
    My mora companion hd is great, but my spyderco rock salt in H1 stainless is a really cool original light knife with a relatively thin blade and a variety of awesome handle grip options.

20. Rupestris

Rupestris Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2006
    The North Arm Mallard/Paring knife. (Not my photo)

[​IMG]

The S30V blade measures 1.5mm (0.059") at its thickest point.

steff27, craytab and Skywalker31 like this.