Best Toaster oven?

Hi folks,
Who makes the best Toaster Oven for tempering High Carbon Steels? I bought a Black and Decker that was about $65.00 and the darn thing doesn't hit 400 degrees unless I put it on broil and then it'll ramp up to 480 degrees. It is supposed to go up to 450 but when I check it w/a thermocouple it only hits 350-365 or so. I have everything I need to mod it to a PID controlled oven, except any experience w/electronics. If there is a decent oven out there I can buy, I may re-purpose my current one to the kitchen for roasting garlic and the occasional potato. Thank you for any input! Anybody have a "Converting an oven to a PID Controller" for Dummies diagram or instructions?

I seem to have better luck with the ovens that have dual elements on both top and bottom, as opposed to just one. I'll normally set mine on convection and use a separate thermometer to verify temps, as the dial is RARELY accurate.

Thank you sir! I have the oven, just need to make it better! I'll let you know if I run into any problems! Don

Hi Marc,
I went to the stickies (where apparently I had been before) and I have everything except the fan, wire, fuses and the bus bars. For the bus bar, what size do I need? Thanks, Don

I personally didn't use a bus, but one like this should work. Just figure out how many lugs you need for each hot and neutral and get one that has enough lugs on each side as the highest number for either the hot or neutral which ever is higher. I didn't do any price shopping for the link I supplied, you may be able to locate one cheaper, but that will give you a reference to go off of. 30A should be big enough.

Thank you Marc. Another question for you. I have a few old computers lying around. Can I use of of the muffin fans out of them or do I need to get a specific one for 120V? I now have everything except for the fan. Going to make a board from some .125 Alum plate I have and then mount it in a fiberglass enclosure I have or else cut-out the face of my oven and fit my stuff in it.

You can use them, but like I did on mine, you'd have to use a power source. I took apart a wall charger that put out 12v DC and wired it into the system to get the 120v it took to power the transformer and ran the low side out to the fan and the fan comes on with the main power so no mater what if it's switched on the fan runs. I happened to have some old wall chargers around with 12v output so it wasn't an issue taking it apart and mounting it for use.

Good info! I have a bunch of old 12v chargers around too! Thank you for the help!

Back