Best US made flipper

bort2.0

Gold Member
I'm pretty new to knives, so forgive the lousy question based on opinions. But, here goes.

I kind of jumped in the deep end and bought a few Shirogorov knives to get myself started. I love the quality of materials, fit/finish, and the sleek and clean appearance. These things are NICE!

But, I'm finding myself wanting to carry Made in USA knives instead. Really prefer flippers now.

So... What's the best options for US Made, high quality, fancy steel, not flashy or crazy looking, etc...?

I really want something simple and clean like the Shiro... But made in the US. Intended for full time EDC and use, not collecting.

I love the idea of the Chris Reeve knives, but, blasphemy... I just don't like the handles very much.

Budget is about $500.

Ideas? Thanks!

I've never owned a Shiro but I own (and have owned) some pretty high end knives.

The best flipper I've ever experienced is the ZT 0456, if you can find one. (I only own a few flippers, but it is better than any other I've tried.)

Just get rid of the cheesy pocket clip with an aftermarket titanium clip and it's a classy, if somewhat heavy knife in 20CV. Cuts well, too.

"Whitty" at USA Made Blade raves about his, and its performance. Not a lot of money either.

It's fancier than my usual fare, but I love the blade and the action.

maxresdefault.jpg

Probably a little over budget, but a Koenig really does flip like a dream, and I always consider it as the 'flipping' CRK.

Other good flipper would be ZT562Ti, but without flipper tab, I'd recommend Spyderco PM2/PM3, BM 940 series.

ZT 0357. I've seen it on the 'Zon go on sale for like 110$.

Have fun!

Edit: oh holy s*** just noticed your budget lol, I wish I can afford that!

IF I have 500, I would get a smaller hinderer, I think Olamic is well made but the design is a little out there.

Last edited:
Brian Tighe makes some pretty fantastic knives, but over your budget probably. Southern Grind I think has a nice one so I've heard (the quill?) but yeah ZT, Hinderer, Koenig, are what I hear most about.

I've also had my eye out for a Millit Torrent for a while. The plainer versions of those seem like a really good combo for me (maybe a little more flashy, but I like it).

The Hinderer seems like a great working knife, and may be the winner if plain enough

Holt... SMH, its gorgeous. I'd probably never use it.

Question... Are any US makers using the fancy steels like M390 or Elmax? I know they are still using very nice steel, but since I started on Shirogorov, I know more about those steels. And see much less of that on the US stuff. Because of cost, or frugality, or ease of production? Or because the differences aren't as vast as internet armchair steel analysts (like me) think that they are :)

Thanks for the help! Again, I'm new to this. Hoping to do my time, learn a bunch, and then help people myself when I know what the heck I'm talking about!

Within you're budget, a Hinderer XM-18 3.5", unfortunately (or fortunately?), is likely the best option as they are now plentiful. I've got an older Gen 4 that still flips pretty good (no wrist) and it seem the the Gen 6 improves on the action quite a bit. A smooth Ti Scale would probably shoot over your budget, though. Would make the build more in line with the simplicity you're looking for. Additionally, any of the other 3.5" Hinderer folders that aren't dual Ti could also be up for consideration.

I'm not sure one can acquire a Holt or Koenig for $500 direct.

Les George also does drops of VECP V3 Flippers pretty frequently.

You could also take a look at the Graham GMT Mid-tech. Pretty clean design. Clip is a little weird. Chad Nichols still does an excellent job with USA mid-techs.

The American Blade Works Model 1 could also be a good choice. However, scarcity is an issue.

strategy9 strategy9 mentioned Olamic, I think the plain Mid-Tech Wayfarer 247 would be the one to look at.

Last edited:
Question... Are any US makers using the fancy steels like M390 or Elmax? I know they are still using very nice steel, but since I started on Shirogorov, I know more about those steels. And see much less of that on the US stuff. Because of cost, or frugality, or ease of production? Or because the differences aren't as vast as internet armchair steel analysts (like me) think that they are :)

Hinderer did a special run of XMs in M390. However, the "stock" 20CV is compositionally similar enough that it's considered an analog (wait I guess the new "stock" steel is S45VN?).

Spyderco definitely has been doing runs of US models (Manix, PM2, etc.) in M390 more often as of recent. They did have a sprint of PM2s in Elmax.

ZT frequently uses 20CV (switched over from M390 due to sourcing) and Elmax.

Plenty of US makers using the fancier steels. Now, whether they run the steel at the higher end of spectrum, not usually.

Too many flippers to choose from below $500.

If the measure of comparison is "best (or well) made," there are still too many to mention but in the context of my personal collection, I'd mention the following, in no particular order of priority, based on what they cost me, even if they list above $500:

Spyderco Advocate
Hinderer XM-24 Gen 6
Real Steel Megalogon
LionSteel ROK
ZT 0452
ZT 0560/0562
ZT 0909/0920

There are others but these are the ones that immediately come to mind.

Last edited:
Olamic does use different steels. Cts-204p which is an American equivalent to m390 from carpenter, ELMAX, m390, all depends on the model...

The Southern Grind Penguin is one of the best flippers I own, Awesome action, clean design, and it has a S90V blade.

EhXSpSu.jpg

Back