1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Best Video Capabilities - Nikon?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by panzertroop, Oct 15, 2014.

1. panzertroop

panzertroop

Aug 8, 2008
    I am interested in upgrading my Nikon D3100 to something that has better video capabilities, flip out screen and HDR. Money is an issue and I want to keep it compatible with my current lenses. Also external mics and remotes need to be used.

D5200? Not sure where to start!

2. fast14riot

fast14riot

Oct 27, 2010
    Umm, why buy a still camera to shoot video? I know they can, but you might be better served buying a video camera. Something I never understood.

-X

3. Bob W

Bob W

Dec 31, 2000
    You'll save money by just buying a decent camcorder instead of a brand new DSLR. :thumbup:

4. KNaB

KNaB

Oct 18, 2008
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I use a d5200 with a beachtek dxa-dslr ultra adaptor for recording guitar effect demo vids. Works great. Basically I'm not a video guy and it eliminates the need to edit the audio and video in post. I usually have a shure sm7b and sm57 plugged into it for mic'ing my amp. As far as video is concerned, What type of video will you be recording?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  5. liamstrain

liamstrain Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Pro's (doing both still and video with one body) usually use fullframes like canon's (5D mkIII) or beefed up APS-C (like the 7D MkII) mostly - but those bodies + new lenses sound like a lot more than you want to spend. The 5200 seems pretty well rated and capable. You might also consider using some mirrorless bodies (many of which can adapt to use your existing lenses).

And, if it's truly video you need (and not still) You might also consider the Blackmagic cameras, which can be adapted to use your Nikon lenses as well - and for video, will outperform anything else you can get under 3K.

L