Best way to fix the Eskabar sheath?

What have you done to fix the dulling problem of the stock Eskabar sheath? Is it worth trying to fix or should I grab one of the Kydex sheaths from Ebay? Does anyone have one of these? If so how are they? (link removed: no hot links to for sales/ebay per forum rules)

Last edited by a moderator:
Azwelke makes great sheaths for the Eskabar. I'd send him an email or PM if you're looking to replace yours.

I would echo the Azwelke recommendation.

Better fit, more comfortable, sleek and concealable as a necker or pocket carry...and I don't notice the rub.

Azwelke is the man when I comes to kydex. I got me some leather pants from goose tho and he and mywifethinksimcrazy really know how to make top quality stuff if you were considering leather at all. Or you could take a nail file or small jewelers file and rub it where the edge hits the stock sheath, rub it a bunch of times and that will give it just the hair of clearance it needs to not dull it

Huge fan of the scout-carry sheath I got from Nick.

But based on Toooj's rant in the KA-BAR forum, is the sheath dulling a real issue or is it a function of drawing the knife incorrectly?

What have you done to fix the dulling problem of the stock Eskabar sheath?

insert and remove knive a few dozen times, sharpen. dull anymore? repeat. the sheath will get a nice wear channel.

or you can speed the process up a touch with a hacksaw blade as a light file. if the edge is not touching, it won't dull.

they just made them with tight tolerances ;)

KaBar's solution was to go to a non-glass filled sheath, softer plastic.

or buy after market.

using the knife makes it dull too ;)

if you want to keep the stock sheath I say jam a piece of something (I used veg tanned leather) long enough to cover the area where the edge hits and snug it down into place.

Or;

Get one from Goose or me if you want leather.

Or;

Get one from Azwelke if you want kydex.

Either way you go you'll get a great sheath :thumbup:

insert and remove knive a few dozen times, sharpen. dull anymore? repeat. the sheath will get a nice wear channel.

or you can speed the process up a touch with a hacksaw blade as a light file. if the edge is not touching, it won't dull.

they just made them with tight tolerances ;)

KaBar's solution was to go to a non-glass filled sheath, softer plastic.

Huh...I thought they still used glass-filled. I guess I'll just have to check mine again, because I've been playing with the new toy enough that the sheath shouldn't be doing that to the blade anymore. Time to resharpen and experiment!

I carry it vertically on my belt using paracord at the moment. I would probably get the clip if the dulling weren't an issue. I realize that you have to be careful of how you sheath and unsheath the knife to avoid rubbing the blade against the sheath, but with where I wear the sheath on my belt, it's going to rub from time to time.

Back