1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Best way to fix the Eskabar sheath?

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by johntmeche3, Oct 28, 2011.

1. johntmeche3

johntmeche3

Sep 30, 2011
    What have you done to fix the dulling problem of the stock Eskabar sheath? Is it worth trying to fix or should I grab one of the Kydex sheaths from Ebay? Does anyone have one of these? If so how are they? (link removed: no hot links to for sales/ebay per forum rules)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2011
  2. mrn8

mrn8

Jun 8, 2007
    Azwelke makes great sheaths for the Eskabar. I'd send him an email or PM if you're looking to replace yours.

3. LECTER

LECTER

Mar 27, 2008
    Another vote for Azwelke!!

Makes great stuff!

4. KaiserSosa

KaiserSosa

Oct 5, 2011
    I would echo the Azwelke recommendation.

Better fit, more comfortable, sleek and concealable as a necker or pocket carry...and I don't notice the rub.

5. B.Mauser

B.Mauser KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 22, 2011
  6. jarodmichael

jarodmichael

Apr 28, 2011
    Another Azwelke fan here, I have three of his sheaths and will soon be buying more!

7. clich

clich

Apr 19, 2011
    Azwelke is the man when I comes to kydex. I got me some leather pants from goose tho and he and mywifethinksimcrazy really know how to make top quality stuff if you were considering leather at all. Or you could take a nail file or small jewelers file and rub it where the edge hits the stock sheath, rub it a bunch of times and that will give it just the hair of clearance it needs to not dull it

8. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    How do you carry it?

9. BRL

BRL Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Huge fan of the scout-carry sheath I got from Nick.

But based on Toooj's rant in the KA-BAR forum, is the sheath dulling a real issue or is it a function of drawing the knife incorrectly?

10. Bladite

Bladite ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb Moderator

Feb 28, 2003
    insert and remove knive a few dozen times, sharpen. dull anymore? repeat. the sheath will get a nice wear channel.

or you can speed the process up a touch with a hacksaw blade as a light file. if the edge is not touching, it won't dull.

they just made them with tight tolerances ;)

KaBar's solution was to go to a non-glass filled sheath, softer plastic.

or buy after market.

using the knife makes it dull too ;)

11. NixKustoms

NixKustoms Sheath and Knife Maker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2010
    if you want to keep the stock sheath I say jam a piece of something (I used veg tanned leather) long enough to cover the area where the edge hits and snug it down into place.

Or;

Get one from Goose or me if you want leather.

Or;

Get one from Azwelke if you want kydex.

Either way you go you'll get a great sheath :thumbup:

12. mrn8

mrn8

Jun 8, 2007
    Huh...I thought they still used glass-filled. I guess I'll just have to check mine again, because I've been playing with the new toy enough that the sheath shouldn't be doing that to the blade anymore. Time to resharpen and experiment!

13. Groove

Groove

May 3, 2011
  14. johntmeche3

johntmeche3

Sep 30, 2011
    I carry it vertically on my belt using paracord at the moment. I would probably get the clip if the dulling weren't an issue. I realize that you have to be careful of how you sheath and unsheath the knife to avoid rubbing the blade against the sheath, but with where I wear the sheath on my belt, it's going to rub from time to time.

15. johntmeche3

johntmeche3

Sep 30, 2011
    Also, thanks for all of the recommendations. I have emailed Azwelke.