Best way to get into hunting?

Hi BigNate Im not ready to join a hunting club yet. I were planning on doing some small game like rabbits and such. As for how far im willing to drive. Im fairly open about it if i can take some time off work for a day or two. I do understand the reasons why most people dont want to share the hunting spots as there are few in SO CALI. Been thinking of maybe going up north. dont know if its true but heard you can hunt turkeys up there as they are pests and you can use a .22. I Drive a VW camper so if i got a nice spot i can just pull in and stay for a day or two .

Sasha

I don't have any real secret spots. I moved here from Oregon due to work and miss hunting and fishing up there a lot. Down here I have just tried different areas of BLM or Nat. Forrest and asked permission to hunt all over the place.

Deer hunting is a tough proposition anywhere down around here, quail are around but again on public land you really have to hunt to find them.

I have turned to coyote hunting mostly because it fit's any schedule, and can be done virtually anywhere.

I've never been turkey hunting, or bear hunting for that matter.

Im going to get on the it and ask a few people who live up north to see if they know more see if anyone does hunting up there. Who knows maybe the two of us can get togher for some hunting lol....

Sasha

Buy a 22. long rifle. Get a hunting license, there is often some form of game in season all year around. Hunt during the off season. Better than dodging stray bullets during deer season in the State Game lands. Get on the internet and learn how to dress, clean and cook small game. Dressing game is a big part of hunting. Cook and eat what you kill. Starting reading books by Peter Capstick, like Death in the long grass, that way you have goals for the future.

What he said. Aim small miss small. I think if you become a good squirrel hunter, you should become a good deer hunter. Move slow, pick your shot safely. Practice shooting pictures of the game you are hunting. It is different to pick a shot on an irregular shape versus a bullseye type target. Start shooting up close and move the target out further as you get more consistent. Always use a rest if possible. As you still hunt, stop next to a tree etc so you can lean on it. Yes, I am very consistent with off hand shots, but a rest will teach good sight alignment and consistency. Pick a small spot on the game to shoot at. Talk to the oldtimers about hunting. Through them you may get the heads up on private places to hunt. They may even take you along. Watch where you point your gun. I will not take someone with me again if they are unsafe. Hunting is not a "shoot as many times as fast as you can game.: One shot, one kill. Allow your partner to shoot more times that you out of respect. If someone allows you to hunt on their property, offer them their choice on the game. Put them first, be respectful, and say thank you. Most of all. Go by the house and spend time with them if they want to talk. When done hunting do the same and give them a report on what you saw. Complement them on their property and again thank, thank, thank them. It is getting harder to find a place to hunt on private land. It is a liability for them. It is a big thing for them to let you hunt there. They have to like you first. Become a friend. If there is something you can do around the place, offer. Carry a small cooler with you and immediately clean the game and put it in a baggie. I wouldn't pull some dead piece of fur in a stinking stiff ball and ask someone if they wanted some. They wouldn't and you wouldn't want it as well after you tried to gut and skin it 2 hours later. Don't target shoot on the property. If I let someone hunt and heard them blasting away it would be the last time. Do not bring anyone with you without permission. And if you can, make sure your buddy does not show up by himself or bringing other friends without you. You won't be hunting there again. Private land is sacred. Pardon the ramble. Just trying to help. Hunting is more than a game on the screen. It is a primitive dance few will experience in the future.
Regards.

Back