Best way to remove minor rust

Any one have recommendations how I can remove some minor rust? I have a nice 22" Chitlangi and I noticed some minor rust towards the tip of the blade on one side. Should I use a kitchen pad to scrub it or some fine steel wool or even 2000 grit sandpaper? What about brasso would that work since it is a mild abrasive? I want to try to keep the mirror finish on it if possible, I know I can use simichrome after the fact. I am new to this, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

2000grit or a rag with some brasso will work just fine. You probably won't even have to use the simichrome after, but I guess you can always evaluate that yourself after you take the rust off ;)

Brasso, flitz, neverdull, chrome polish all should work well.
For nasty rust some WD-40 and 0000 steel wool, but you may have to rebuff the blade to restore the mirror finish.

Last edited:
A little Brasso on an old t-shirt worked just fine. Just a little elbow grease. Thanks everyone.

On a related subject what about scuffs? The previous owner left a few scuffs, a few I can faintly feel with my fingernail. Will 0000 steel wool take those scuff marks out or will the steel wool scuff up the mirror finish? Or are the scuffs from the steel wool minor enough that some simichrome will work it out with a little elbow grease and a rag. Thanks again for the help.

the traditional way is to smear your thighs with melted green rouge buffing compound. Then clamp the handle of the khukuri in a vise (padded of course), turn around and slide the blade between your legs. Then all you have to do is something like this: [Content Removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Very funny! That was way too flat for me. If you were going to send me something like that, you should have sent me something with a little more junk in the trunk, or a little more round and tight.

On a more serious note, if anyone has any advice on my above post, thanks!

On a related subject what about scuffs? The previous owner left a few scuffs, a few I can faintly feel with my fingernail. Will 0000 steel wool take those scuff marks out or will the steel wool scuff up the mirror finish? Or are the scuffs from the steel wool minor enough that some simichrome will work it out with a little elbow grease and a rag. Thanks again for the help.

I keep used / worn down sandpaper from sharpening my khuks for this exact task. Pretty much just gauge the scuff and use the appropriate grit. Like if it's a fairly deep scratch, use 220 and work your way up to the highest you have (1000 or 2000) - if it's literally just a scuff, use 800 and work up to your highest grit. If you're really OCD about keeping the mirror finish, follow up with buffing compound or something similar ;)

I keep used / worn down sandpaper from sharpening my khuks for this exact task. Pretty much just gauge the scuff and use the appropriate grit. Like if it's a fairly deep scratch, use 220 and work your way up to the highest you have (1000 or 2000) - if it's literally just a scuff, use 800 and work up to your highest grit. If you're really OCD about keeping the mirror finish, follow up with buffing compound or something similar ;)

Thanks killa, I am OCD. When you say buffing compound are you talking about like simichrome and a rag or is there something else you recommend? Thanks!

Buffing compound is usually used on a spinning felt wheel. However if you are not a person with some experience using one of these, I would suggest a Dremel instead. You are less likely to send your Khukuri flying into the next county that way. ;)

Thanks killa, I am OCD. When you say buffing compound are you talking about like simichrome and a rag or is there something else you recommend? Thanks!

The 2000grit sandpaper will pretty much have taken out all the visible scratches and leave a near mirror polish comparable to what the kamis usually put on them. Anything past that point is really only necessary if you've buffed the kukri to a blinding mirror finish (which I haven't). I personally just rub some green rouge buffing compound onto a rag and use that after using 2000grit paper, but I've recently stopped bothering as the sandpaper does just fine on it's own. That said, simichrome is less gritty will probably leave a much better finish :thumbup:

Flitz will work as well and the best part about it is that it will leave a small layer of protection behind to prevent rust and keep it easy to shine up. This lasts about a month or until completely rubbed off... whichever comes first.

Back