Recommendation? Better than the Kizer T1

Well in the market for a thumb stud folding knife with a premium blade less than 4” (S35VN or better), frame or liner lock, preferably on bearings, <$300. Looking for something with a super smooth action, no need to flick assist open with drop shut closing or almost drop shut. Something with the action of a ZT 0562CF or better would be perfect.

Been strongly considering the Kizer T1, but seeing if you guys can recommend anything better or maybe something I might have overlooked.

Currently in the collection:
CRK Sebenza 21 (small insingo)
Hinderer XM-18 3” slicer
Olamic Wayfarer 247
Zero Tolerance 0562CF
Benchmade Bugout
Kershaw Cryo II
Kershaw Shuffle II

I recommend adding the Pena X-Series Rhino to your list. :) It meets 100% of your criteria and is one of the nicest knives I've ever owned.

SJyM2F6.jpg

MtXEbdH.jpg

I was actually looking at the Pena by Reate but it is a bit thicker and heavier than the Kizer T1 at double the price, is it that much better in your opinion Dadpool Dadpool

The Fox TUR action doesn’t look at smooth as the Kizer T1 and not a fan of the ergos on the WE GNAR? Care to add your specific experience since you have all three Eagle Scout Eagle Scout

I was actually looking at the Pena by Reate but it is a bit thicker and heavier than the Kizer T1 at double the price, is it that much better in your opinion Dadpool Dadpool

M390 and more refined (detent ramp!), but definitely a different knife. More of a compact powerhouse.

I only own one Kizer comparable in price/etc. to the T1 -- the Feist -- and it's a fantastic knife overall and for its price point. I'm not sure there's 2x as much knifey goodness in the Rhino, but I bought mine used for quite a bit less than retail.

Last edited:
The Fox TUR action doesn’t look at smooth as the Kizer T1 and not a fan of the ergos on the WE GNAR? Care to add your specific experience since you have all three Eagle Scout Eagle Scout

You are correct. The TUR is on washers and does not fly open like the other two, but can be thumb flicked. I put that one into consideration due to the Elmax blade and overall nice materials/fit/finish. The carbon fiber and bronze look great. Smaller, light-weight, and well built. It's my only Fox but not my only Vox.

Of the three, the T1 has the best overall "action" comparable to my ZT 0562CF. Would describe it as "loose & fluid" but with solid no-play lock up. It's also the only one that falls shut with one shake. If you are thinking about getting one, give it a try. It's better to close than the ZT, since mine needs to get up and over the detent ball before it drops. It's Kizer quality however, so you could get a great one or have to exchange it for another searching for better depending. This T1 is the third I've owned. The first two were returned to different retailers because the grind was uneven or other minor details that I could not live with. This one is perfect to me and will remain in my collection.

The We GNAR is smaller, maybe a three finger knife if you have larger hands. Build quality and finish is above the others, including the ZT0562CF. For a small knife the ergos are fine and the milled textured pattern provides excellent grip in hand during deployment and use. It fires open with authority thumb or lock side middle finger. It does not drop like the T1 and the ZT, but is a smaller blade. Of the three, it's the one that a non-knife person might pick up and be impressed by.

Eagle Scout Eagle Scout and Dadpool Dadpool thank you very much for your candid comments. Along with many reviews that I had read and watched, both of your additional comments have pushed me over the edge. I have decided and picked..... BOTH the Kizer T1 and Pena X-series Rhino!!!

The classic BF answer: both. :D I hope you love them both!

The classic BF answer: both. :D ...

I was thinking it, then you said it. :thumbsup: BTW, I just picked up a T1 cuz of this thread. Classic BF maneuver. :thumbsup:

Edit:
After having the T1 for a couple of days there's only one thing. It's a slippery sucka. So...it's being sent to Josh @ REK for some blasting. Other than that, it's pretty freakin sah-weet.

Last edited:
Well got both the Kizer T1 and Pena Rhino. The T1 is almost the perfect knife for me, fits great in hand, smooth open/close action, easy to deploy with thumb stud, but the only downside with the pivot screw loosens up with repeated opening/closing. Nothing that a little drop of blue loctite can’t fix.

The Pena Rhino is built like a tank and the build quality, fit & finish, and ergonomics is top notch. The deal breaker is that I can not open it via thumb stud for the life of me. That being said, I like it so much that I will just exchange it for the flipper version.

Still looking for another thumb stud folder on bearings, still open to suggestions

I have a great stud opener on bearings from Larry Withrow. The dPx Urban Hest is on bearings and is pretty cool, with several options of appearance. The Sanrenmu titanium 910 and 810 are both on bearings and absolutely incredible for the price. I know I speak heresy to some by mentioning that and could be gritting their teeth but it’s no less true. Aaron Frederick/Trash Panda make affordable stud-openers on bearings and can be found for a steal at used prices. These are just a few. I prefer thumbstud knives on washers so I’ll point out that I own two Spider Monkeys and both are drop shut, flippy floppin, and all that jazz while being on washers. All these can be found for under 300, at the least when buying second hand. Good luck!

Back