Better Than Victorinox Swiss Tool X?

For the past 10 to 12 years I've pretty much been sold on Victorinox for my selection of Multi-tools. I also have a couple of Spyderco's Spyderench models which I find extremely interesting.

But in the past few years they have made so much progress with newer Multi-tools and flashlights and specialty type knives that I thought I would pick the brains of the BF Brethren to see what might be considered better in the multi-tool line up that has come along.

I've been reasonably satisfied with my two Victorinox Swiss Tools but like everything else I'm always open to check out something newer and better. Some of the "SOG" models look interesting but I've never tried one. So is there anything out there that I should try that might be better than my Victorinox models?

I honestly think that what we generally think of as a "Multi-Tool" peaked about 10 or 15 years ago. I don't mean that as a slam to the newer line of stuff out there, but from a pure refinement we went basically from a LM PST/ST200 or Gerber with slide out pliers to all manner of inventive but totally useful modifications to the formula (Vic's high polish tools, LM Wave/Surge with one handed external blades, etc). Even the completely alien but strangely useful Spyder/Byrdrench.

Newer tools have certainly been innovative (look at wearables like the LM Tread bracelet or the completely different SOG tools that store in a straight stick formation instead of folded in half), but I don't find them any more useful or robust than the tools from a decade ago.

I had a Powerlock by SOG. It was decent. Replacing the tools was a bit more tedious than they made it sound like it would be. I nearly bought one of their new full size ones and hinted to my 7 year old daughter that mom could buy me one of their minimalist tools for Christmas if she wanted, but that probably fell on deaf ears;) I don't think the SOGs are up there in quality with Vic, LM, or even Gerber. High polish but a bit too much gimmick for my tastes.

In terms of quality, I haven't seen anything yet that beats the Vic multitools. I do love my LM Skeletool CX, but it's sort of a minimalist option.

I think the Leatherman SuperTool 300 and Surge still remain to be the SwissTool's closest rivals until now

A SwissTool was my first multitool, back when it came out (my dad got it for me as a birthday present).

I've accumulated a decent heap of multitools since then, but I can't say any of the ones I've got are a great improvement on the SwissTool.

The tool selection on different models might be better suited to certain activities or the size/weight can make them better for different situations, but functionality is quite similar.

Some of the things the SwissTool doesn't have but others do, might not be a big deal for you. For instance, I always have a dedicated knife on me, so a one hand opening s30v blade is not a priority for me. Leatherman tools with bit holders are cool, but I think the Victorinox ratchet (which can use regular bits) is better, although bulkier.

If you just want to try something different, get a Leatherman or two to rotate with your SwissTool. For instance, a Juice S2 is smaller and easier to carry in a pocket; or a Charge Tti with the one hand opening S30V blade and diamond coated file.

Some years ago, I had both a Leatherman Super Tool and a Vic Swisstool. Although I liked the beautifully designed and finished Swisstool well enough, for my purposes, the ST worked better. The pliers opened wider (which I have to admit was only an issue once, ever) and was a true needle nose, more versatile for me than the more blunt one on the Vic. In addition, the ST screwdrivers were sharper cut and more effective than the highly polished ones on the Swisstool. I once compared the two by driving a screw into wood as far as I could turn the Vic screwdriver, then took the Leatherman to it and got it another 3/4 turns tighter. Although taking more time to get implements out of the ST, using the nail nicks on the stiffly held Vic tools usually caused my nail beds to smart after using them several times for a chore, and a real challenge in cold and/or wet conditions. Don't get me wrong, the Swisstool is a great product, and if that were the only choice available, I would be okay with it. But I like Leatherman's design and manufacturing approach better.

Last edited:
In my opinion most tools are fine for light to medium tasks. Some companies's heavy duty versions might be better for one or the other task but all in all there are many tools that get the job done.
One point that can help one decide which one to buy is one hand blade opening. If you want it LM becomes the most attractive choice for most tasks. LM IMO is the king of one hand opening blade. You have so many great models to chose from. So many options: The LM bit system, premium steel blades, different sizes, easily to take apart multitools etc pp.

On the other hand: When you don't want one hand opening this - again IMO - takes away a lot of LM's attractiveness. I am from Germany and without boring you with details we have a stupid law that pretty much makes you want to avoid one hand opening locking blade knives. The huge LM catalogue of fullsize tools shrinks down to three models: The REV, the Rebar (and the Rebar without blades), the ST300. The REV is okay but a very basic choice. The Rebar and the ST300 are very similar. Both don't allow you to use the bit system without the extra adapter, both have these oldschool straight bulky handles, both have all their tools on the inside. Suddenly a lot of the stuff that makes LM attractive in my eyes is gone. Since price also is rather high in Germany (a Rebar without blades costs 109€, a Rebar with blade costs 65€, the Leatherman bits and adapter cost another 50€ - whereas the Spirit with bits and ratchet goes for 109€) Victorinox might actually be the cheaper choice here...

I think that between Leatherman and Victorinox everything has been said, no love for any others!
Spirit and Rebar are the right tools for me!

The SwissTool RS has a unique set of tools, including a serrated "rescue" blade, strong pry bar, useful ruler, great scissors, and a robust wood saw. All tools (except pliers) being accessible from outside is also handy.

I would pay a lot of money for something that would have the best of both of my favorite tools; the Wave and Swisstool. Perhaps something with a Trekker blade for one-hand opening.

I’ve got a batch of LMs going back to the original, and both the Spirit and SwissTool. On both the Vics, the cutting jaws are deformed from cutting a few coat hangers. That’s a deal breaker for me. On the other hand, most of the LMs have hot-spots galore, and are in need of some serious user-friendliness (note: my hands are not made of butter). If Victorinox licensed the replaceable cutting jaws from LM, or LM took a page from the Vic’s smoothness, I’d be all set.

Back