Between 2 knives

Hi
i need a recommendation, buying a new knife from Korin NY.
currently a choice between:

1.Togiharu Hammerred texture Damascus gyutou 8.2".
2.Masamoto VG gyutou 8.2".

thx for the help !

I'd go with the Masamoto unless you just like the looks of the Togiharu better. Masamoto is a 70/30 bevel so you will need to know how to sharpen it properly. 70/30 grinds are handed, so if you are left handed you will have to specify that when buying. The Togiharu is 50/50, which may be easier for you to sharpen and is right or left handed.

A really good place to get recommendations about those knives is kitchenknifeforums.com. Plenty of people there with experience with those brands.

Me, I'm a sucker for wood handles and hammered blades. I'd go with the Togi for the 50/50 bevels and the chance you might get an extra point of hardness out of the blade (according to the advertised specs). JC has some good points, though...especially that you should give KKF a look. It will blow.your.mind.
-Mark

Also - the Togiharu Hammered Damascus may be an OEM knife made for them. The same or very similar knives are sold by other brands with just a different brand name stamped on the blade. That doesn't mean they are bad.

Compare the Sakai Takayuki and Yoshihiro versions of the same knife. Either they are all look-alikes made by different companies, or they are the same knife made by a single maker and marketed by different companies.

In that price range and style, Takamura Migaki R2 Gyuto 210mm is worth a look. Less bling, but a better and harder steel (R2 at 62/63 HRC), with a very thin "laser" blade profile if you are looking for a sharp slicer. The brand may not be available at Korin, though.

Reactions: 353
Back