Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

"Payday came, and with it beer."
Here's my haul today:
Uqtmjzr.jpg

The Crawford Bock is a new beer I discovered recently. Pretty decent stuff.

The Moosehead I have not had in decades, but decided to get some in honour of @dc50, who just went through a rough move up in the Great White North. Cheers, Dave!

The IPA is because I told tmd_87 tmd_87 I would. He graciously gifted me the rosewood lambsfoot he won in @Jack Black's recent GAW. Cheers, Taylor!
1Qx8FrK.jpg

9W6bYAa.jpg

(I must say, I am glad I didn't buy a six-pack! How do all you guys drink IPAs? I really am trying to like it! ;) )
Anyway, thanks a million, Taylor!
¡Salud!

Taylor is the man! (even if he does drink cloudy beer).

Awesome! Great haul!!!! That the IPA looks fantastic! How was it?!
You'd probably love it, Taylor. IPAs are hop-heavy, and do not appeal to me. Not my fault. It just tastes bad to me. IPAs were invented to make the beer last on the voyage to India. They had extra alcohol and extra hops, which helped preserve the beer longer. But it's just too bitter for me. Samuel Adams tastes just right. Guinness is just about perfect. And Chimay. I can also drink the Champagne of Beers (Miller High Life) and the King of Beers (Budweiser). And a whole lot of others. German beers I like. Most of them. But those IPAs!

The craft brewers round these parts seem to be on a mission to make the sourest ,fruitiest ,hoppiest beer ever....gimme a Lowenbrau or malty English ale any day.
You know, 30 or 40 years ago, there weren't so many "craft beers". In fact, there were none, I think. Bud, Miller, Jax, Lone Star (which used to be good when it was made in San Antonio. Made somewhere else now but tastes horrible), Schlitz, and a few others. There was no light beer till the 1970s. Now there are MILLIONS of different brands. Can't keep track of them.

You'd probably love it, Taylor. IPAs are hop-heavy, and do not appeal to me. Not my fault. It just tastes bad to me. IPAs were invented to make the beer last on the voyage to India. They had extra alcohol and extra hops, which helped preserve the beer longer. But it's just too bitter for me. Samuel Adams tastes just right. Guinness is just about perfect. And Chimay. I can also drink the Champagne of Beers (Miller High Life) and the King of Beers (Budweiser). And a whole lot of others. German beers I like. Most of them. But those IPAs!
What's your thoughts on pale ales? Sierra Nevada's pale ale is hop forward, but isn't hoppy to me at all.

What's your thoughts on pale ales? Sierra Nevada's pale ale is hop forward, but isn't hoppy to me at all.
I like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Good product that I will drink again. One of the best beers I have ever had is Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale, from Yorkshire. Very refreshing. Been looking for it unsuccessfully. Maybe I'll find it in Houston or San Antonio when I visit soon.
Right now I am enjoying a Moosehead, a refreshing Canadian (almost spelled it Canadien!) lager.
I am certainly willing to try new things, but after 20 or 30 IPAs, I don't think I will find one I like. I'd rather drink light beer (ugh! :eek:)!

One after another, but I'm choosy. I don't like teeth-cleaningly dry IPAs, just as I don't like overly sugared malt ales. We need some balance in life.

Yes, and up to the 120 minute. Moderation, I say -

geHVl9s.jpg

- Stuart
I like to pace myself....one at a time.

The other thing about megafruit sour beers with kiwi juice* and the like is that the amount of fruit in there makes them very expensive to brew....a cost that is passed on to you the customer.
*i really really hope that means kiwi fruit juice and not the juice of a freshly minced hairy little undergrowth dwelling ant eating bird....yuk.

The craft brewers round these parts seem to be on a mission to make the sourest ,fruitiest ,hoppiest beer ever....gimme a Lowenbrau or malty English ale any day.

Very much in agreement with you here! Loathe all that fruity citrus stuff that seems to be compulsory now, fruits have no place in my beers, I love wines and that's where it belongs:D
Hipsters believe otherwise.....:eek::)

Knife aspect now

RCBxQaX.jpg

PjSAkVu.jpg

Last edited:
Very much in agreement with you here! Loathe all that fruity citrus stuff that seems to be compulsory now, fruits have no place in my beers, I love wines and that's where it belongs:D
Hipsters believe otherwise.....:eek::)

Knife aspect now

RCBxQaX.jpg

PjSAkVu.jpg
+1 +1! And no fancy(?) label. Been to a wine promo sale yesterday. Only weirdo names with pictures to match, very, very hard to find where it comes from. Kept my money. What's important is the content. Else is mere merchandising.
If wine should be choosen by the final aspect of the label, most would stay in the cellar! :rolleyes:o_O
Irancy.jpg

Last edited:
Isn't there a song that says that "Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker"?

I think it was Ogden Nash who said candy is dandy but liquors quicker.

I learn something new every day, often on The Porch! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Thanks for the Ogden Nash info, meako meako ; I'm familiar with his style, but didn't realize his connection to that line. Here's one version of the song I was thinking of:

Also, Willy Wonka. :D

Back