Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Alnamvet68, Sep 9, 2015.

1. WhittlinAway

WhittlinAway Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Hey @Prester John, have you tried a negroni yet? If not, I'll enjoy this one on your behalf until you can rectify that. :D

[​IMG]

Have a good weekend, folks!

2. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Haven't tried one yet, Greg. I have to buy some Campari. And more gin. (There is some Tanqueray here, but my wife and I each have our own liquor bottles. If we share, she doesn't get much! Besides, I'm partial to Beefeater.) Maybe I'll have something with scotch tonight. I usually have scotch neat or on the rocks (most single malts always neat, blends sometimes with ice).

Pt-Luso, Tadeusz123 and WhittlinAway like this.
  3. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    [​IMG]
    Trying something new tonight. New to me: a Rob Roy. Basically a Manhattan with scotch instead of rye or bourbon.

4. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Well, didn't care much for the Rob Roy. Regular Manhattans are okay. So for my second cocktail I tried a Dry Rob Roy--with dry vermouth instead of sweet, and a twist of lemon instead of a maraschino cherry.
    [​IMG]
    Better. But the last one. Come to think of it, the only scotch cocktail I like is a Rusty Nail (scotch and Drambuie). Bourbon cocktails: Old Fashioned and Manhattan. Vodka: Screwdriver. Gin: Gin & Tonic, but especially a Dry Martini--the perfect cocktail. Shaken or stirred. Olive or twist.

5. WhittlinAway

Feb 11, 2016
    @Prester John, it’s good to see you experimenting in the pursuit of advancing B&B science! :thumbsup: :)

You’ve just about got me convinced that I should give a Martini another go. Last time I tried, years ago, it wasn’t my thing. But, I’m a fan of gin, so maybe a drop or two of dry vermouth wouldn’t be so bad. Or maybe I should start with a perfect Martini?

And, speaking of convincing, that Opinel No. 8 you keep showing has me about convinced that I should pick one up. You’re quite the influencer, you know that, Vince? :D

6. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Ranch water- cheap tequila, Topo Chico and lime
    [​IMG]

7. WhittlinAway

Feb 11, 2016
    You're an influencer, too, Taylor. ;) Gonna have to try this. :thumbsup:

8. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    The Opinel No. 8 and my amber bone Case trapper are my most carried and used knives, Greg. I've acquired, thorough purchase, gift, or GAW prize, close to 40 knives in the last couple of years. The Opinel will only set you back about $15. You should definitely give one a try.

As for the martini, I've never had a "perfect" one (half dry, half sweet vermouth), but may try one some day. If you like gin (my faves are Beefeater, Tanqueray, and Bombay Sapphire, in that order), you could try coating the ice with dry vermouth (my preference is Noilly Prat, but Martini and Rossi will do), and tossing out the excess, add the gin, and shake or stir with the ice in the shaker or glass. The stirring probably dilutes the drink less. Pour into a chilled cocktail glass, and garnish with an olive or three, or a twist of lemon. Both are good. What do you have to lose?

Sounds good, Taylor, but I ain't drinking cheap tequila. I suggest you try Herradura Silver. Wonderful stuff. You'll never drink José Cuervo again!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    Pt-Luso and tmd_87 like this.
  9. tmd_87

Jan 29, 2016
    I'm drinking Souza Blanco, but I usually drink Altos Agave. I will check it out!

@WhittlinAway LOL that's a first. You gotta try the drink throw some Tajin on the glass edge and in the drink.

Pt-Luso and Prester John like this.
  10. tmd_87

Jan 29, 2016
    Pickletini on the rocks. More 73 goodness. MVIMG_20200829_203714.jpg

11. tmd_87

Jan 29, 2016
    Double post

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  12. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Fantastic Stag there, admire it a lot:cool:

The drink? Pass.....:D Good job we all have different tastes or life would be more hellish than it currently is ;)

I like a Martini (Gin) I like ultra Dry Vermouth on its own or with a bit of tonic as an aperitif but most cocktails don't attract me at all, too fussy. Kentucky Mule I rather liked or cheaper Bourbon (no such thing here...) with Ginger Ale sometimes but I'd rather have a beer or aperitif, wine with the food plus water and Cognac/ Calvados etc afterwards with a coffee, the Old World still has its merits :cool:

Good health to everyone here!:thumbsup:

13. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    I like my liquor cheap. I like the Cuervo Gold the best - one shot at a time straight with no salt or lemon chased with a beer. The Bombay makes a really good Gin & Tonic with a slice of lime. The Jim Beam makes a good mixer, the Early Times a smooth sipper, and the Dewars also for a sipper with a beer chaser. All that said, I really don't drink all that much.

[​IMG]

14. SteveNo

SteveNo Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 12, 2020
    Not much of a drinker as I'd rather light up. But sometimes after a busy eveningshift it's nice to unwind with a good drink.

[​IMG]

15. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    My wife and daughter bought me a few samples of some beer they thought I'd enjoy on their way back from my Dad's 90th birthday bash on August 1. They were correct in their assessment, and I drank them all before my Dad's actual birthday on August 4. But I forgot to post them here, so let me rectify that almost a month later. (There was also a can of Saugatuck Brewing's Blueberry maple syrup stout but I didn't take a photo, since I'd had it before and thought I could re-use the old pic. But now I can't find it. :mad: ETA: Turns out I commented negatively on the blueberry maple a couple of times, but never posted a photo.)
    haymarket.defender.stout.RRgunstock.jpg
    nightswimmer.stout.amberSBJr.jpg

- GT

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  16. Mitt

Mitt

Aug 31, 2017
    [​IMG]

17. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    It's not every day that I come across a Lowland Single Malt. This is an exceptional dram.

[​IMG]

18. tmd_87

Jan 29, 2016
    Dry cider? I love me a dry cider!!!
    What a nice pair! I love our #35 forum knife. Such a classy carry!

Pt-Luso and Pàdruig like this.
  19. Mitt

Mitt

Aug 31, 2017
    Its a semi-sweet cider.

They make great ciders. Their lemonade is my favorite and one that I have to be carful with in the summer.

20. tmd_87

Jan 29, 2016
    Nothing wrong with that! Sounds interesting I will have to keep my eye out for it.

Pt-Luso likes this.