BF2020 Viper Swayback Discuss Thread

I was kind of hoping that I would not like one of them so it would be easier for me to sell or trade but no....I like them both.

20201116_183030.jpg
20201116_183012 (2).jpg

Sorry for the bad pics but it was already dark when I got home so they are on the kitchen island.

Thanks Mike!

I also noticed I can’t squeeze the blade further into the well after it’s closed. It’s the first knife I’ve ever noticed that on.
Traditional slipjoints have the kick resting on the backspring. These seem to have a stop pin, which is a more modern design, I believe.

I can see that as a disadvantage, if one were to sharpen the blade to the extent that the tip becomes exposed above the frame. When fixing up vintage knives, I can file down the kick to drop the blade deeper into the well. I suppose with this M390 steel, it should take quite a while before it becomes a problem.

Woohoo thank you waynorth for helping out us Canucks get some amazing looking knives!!!

{ Your item was delivered at 10:01 am on November 16, 2020 in POINT ROBERTS, WA 98281.

USPS Premium Tracking™ Available
Status
Delivered
November 16, 2020 at 10:01 am

Delivered

POINT ROBERTS, WA 98281 }

So, the knives for Canadian members arrived today in WA!!
Now I have to go across the border and get them! Hopefully I/we won't get hit for duty charges!!
Then I have to self quarantine for 14 days, during which I will package the knives, and hopefully get a reliable person to post them before 14 days, after which I will post them myself if I have no luck!!
They sure look worth the wait!!
:cool:
Sorry there will be a bit of delay!! I will post progress as it occurs!!

Traditional slipjoints have the kick resting on the backspring. These seem to have a stop pin, which is a more modern design, I believe.

I can see that as a disadvantage, if one were to sharpen the blade to the extent that the tip becomes exposed above the frame. When fixing up vintage knives, I can file down the kick to drop the blade deeper into the well. I suppose with this M390 steel, it should take quite a while before it becomes a problem.

I've had the Swayback in Stag for the better part of this year - I cannot recall if I've ever put it to the stones. This steel has pretty excellent retention and where I am stropping my GEC carries every few days (depending on frequency of carry and use), I haven't had to do so with the Viper.

Granted, I may not use my knives as heavily as some here might.

I get your point regarding the stop pin though. It makes things a bit tricky should the tip ever get exposed.

Something that impresses me the most is the attention to detail that these knives exhibit. I love how the swedge of the blade seamlessly fades into a rounded contour to meet the backspring.

Not to mention, the curvature and sweep of the swedge on my example is perfect. To be candid, it's better done and more uniform than the edge grind on my last GEC was. :D

Something that impresses me the most is the attention to detail that these knives exhibit. I love how the swedge of the blade seamlessly fades into a rounded contour to meet the backspring.
I think so too. I think Viper will be getting more business from BF members in the future. I really never considered one of their slip joints.

I think you're right. I may be mistaken but the stop pin appears to contact the crescent shaped cut out at the base of the tang. To file that part down you would have to disassemble the knife to prevent inevitable damage to the bolsters.

Not much of a concern as these are designed for disassembly. Just an extra step in the process.

I think you're right. I may be mistaken but the stop pin appears to contact the crescent shaped cut out at the base of the tang. To file that part down you would have to disassemble the knife to prevent inevitable damage to the bolsters.

Not much of a concern as these are designed for disassembly. Just an extra step in the process.

I hope you are right. Because mine are getting used. The good thing is the blade can’t close too far and get dull hitting the spring.

Good point. I didn't think about these being take-apartable. :cool: No worries, then.

WOW, I am impressed. This thing is beautiful. I got a keeper! Everything is perfect! The ridges, the coloring, the fit and finish, WOW.
iLq6bwt.jpg

CBEtQeu.jpg

{ Your item was delivered at 10:01 am on November 16, 2020 in POINT ROBERTS, WA 98281.

USPS Premium Tracking™ Available
Status
Delivered
November 16, 2020 at 10:01 am

Delivered

POINT ROBERTS, WA 98281 }

So, the knives for Canadian members arrived today in WA!!
Now I have to go across the border and get them! Hopefully I/we won't get hit for duty charges!!
Then I have to self quarantine for 14 days, during which I will package the knives, and hopefully get a reliable person to post them before 14 days, after which I will post them myself if I have no luck!!
They sure look worth the wait!!
:cool:
Sorry there will be a bit of delay!! I will post progress as it occurs!!

Thank you so much for doing this for us Charlie !!!
Very much appreciated.

I've had the Swayback in Stag for the better part of this year - I cannot recall if I've ever put it to the stones. This steel has pretty excellent retention and where I am stropping my GEC carries every few days (depending on frequency of carry and use), I haven't had to do so with the Viper.

Granted, I may not use my knives as heavily as some here might.

I get your point regarding the stop pin though. It makes things a bit tricky should the tip ever get exposed.

I agree Viper and Lionsteels M390 is top notch ... holds an edge extremely well haven't had the need to touch them up near as often as some. I am kind of glad this years forum knife came this way ... I have had a Swayback in Stag awhile and a couple Otnat knives in Ram's Horn and have been impressed with all of them. I think this may open doors to Viper and Lionsteel maybe a few other brands to some new people. They may not be as "traditional" but you can't fault the quality of the knives at all. Really happy things turned out so well with these.

I can’t get over the rounded back spring, and how it wraps around the bolster almost touching the blade again. Really well done. I also noticed I can’t squeeze the blade further into the well after it’s closed. It’s the first knife I’ve ever noticed that on.

I’m not one to fidgit with knives, but I like when a closed knife doesn’t have sharp edges and just feel good. Horn has such a warm feeling. All that and a wharncliffe what a great knife.

Just a great knife. Definitely going to get some pocket time
There is a stop pin in the well, if you look at the tang you can see a round cutout that will rest on the stop pin which makes it impossible for the blade to rap the spring when snapping shut. These also have mill relieved liners. Such a well built knife for the price!

Back