BF2020 Viper Swayback Discuss Thread

Mine came in today and I’m very pleased with it. I’ve never had a custom knife, but this is what I think a custom would be like. The knife is great and I really like my covers. The pile side on mine reminds me of mammoth bark.
GJwPDvM.jpg

lSbP4gH.jpg

I think we chose well this year. Thanks for putting this together, Mike.
:eek:Absolutely stunning !

Wow. The quality of these is amazing. While i can spy a tiny bit of daylight between the covers and the liners, im not concerned. Its natural material. These are fine crafted and surprisingly light (I cant get over how light it feels).
Heres a shot of the backspring and spine
1wgemEP.jpg

And a couple shots of the covers
zsn1QL6.jpg

6z0W5hJ.jpg

If not for some of these other examples, i would be ecstatic with my blonde. Those two-tone versions are exemplary. Overall i am really happy with mine even if im a little envious of some others.

I've been fondling these bad boys since last night! :D Excellent craftsmanship all around! :thumbsup: I am very much enjoying seeing all of the variation being shown here. :cool:

My only nitpick... :oops: There seems to be a bit of a tan-colored polishing compound embedded in some of the nooks and crannies of the ram's horn. It's far more visible to the naked eye on the darker ones, but can be seen on the lighter ones as well, if you look closely. It's especially noticeable under magnification.

Now that I've noticed it, I'm a bit distracted by it. Going to try and figure out a way to remove it. Think I'll try removing the covers first, and giving them a light scrub with warm water and dish soap. Maybe a little acetone on a swab after that if it doesn't work.

Best photo I have seen showing this, and it happens to be on a lighter one, courtesy of @Archie:

IMG_6192.JPG

You can see a little bit of the polishing compound at the bottom of the valley I circled, on top of the darker colored highlighter in the ram's horn.

Other than this, fantastic knives!!! :cool: I'll report back about how the clean-up goes... :eek:

I've been fondling these bad boys since last night! :D Excellent craftsmanship all around! :thumbsup: I am very much enjoying seeing all of the variation being shown here. :cool:

My only nitpick... :oops: There seems to be a bit of a tan-colored polishing compound embedded in some of the nooks and crannies of the ram's horn. It's far more visible to the naked eye on the darker ones, but can be seen on the lighter ones as well, if you look closely. It's especially noticeable under magnification.

Now that I've noticed it, I'm a bit distracted by it. Going to try and figure out a way to remove it. Think I'll try removing the covers first, and giving them a light scrub with warm water and dish soap. Maybe a little acetone on a swab after that if it doesn't work.

Best photo I have seen showing this, and it happens to be on a lighter one, courtesy of @Archie:

View attachment 1456594

You can see a little bit of the polishing compound at the bottom of the valley I circled, on top of the darker colored highlighter in the ram's horn.

Other than this, fantastic knives!!! :cool: I'll report back about how the clean-up goes... :eek:

I experienced that on some of my Lionsteel barlows with Rams Horn. I just took a toothbrush, some warm water, and some dish soap (very small amount). Worked like a charm.

Might take some doing in the deeper grooves but it won't hurt the horn any - it's some tough stuff.

My knife came in today and all I have to say is WOW... This is my first rams horn knife but the character and depth to these scales is like nothing I've seen before. I'll have to post pictures later when I'm not drinking wine. I bought a Benchmade proper a while back which really turned me off from modern traditionals but these are next level. I probably shouldn't be surprised because Mike obviously wouldn't accept less.

I experienced that on some of my Lionsteel barlows with Rams Horn. I just took a toothbrush, some warm water, and some dish soap (very small amount). Worked like a charm.

Might take some doing in the deeper grooves but it won't hurt the horn any - it's some tough stuff.
Yeah, it's very tough material. (Watch Rocky Mtn. Bighorn Sheep do their thing and tell me that it isn't pretty tough, lol.) Horn is modified hair essentially, so anything you'd use on hair would be fine on horn. I'm looking for a stiff toothbrush to try and use. First scale came off easily.

3CA6BEC9-C99C-443B-B0E0-C1EA69C4218D.jpeg EE3C6DF6-937F-4715-8923-25A873C26D63.jpeg

I just worked a 12 hour shift and came home to this beauty in my mailbox (arrived 2 days early).

I’m not a huge fan of ram horn scales (I voted wood) so I’m considering looking to get some custom scales for it. That being said they are quite nice though.

The fit and finish are top notch. You can also never go wrong with a classic swayback with a wharncliffe.

All in all you really turned 2020 around for us, thanks Mike!

I just got home, so no light for good pictures. Hopefully tomorrow the weather will cooperate and I'll be able to get some better pics.

I'll be the first to tell you that ram's horn isn't usually my first choice for cover material, but in this case I think it's absolutely perfect. I agree with @JohnDF that the ram's horn really helps make the knife look and feel more traditional. It's a wonderful balance with the titanium and M390. The fit and finish on both of my examples is excellent and they feel great in the hand (no surprise there, I love a good swayback). The horn was very well done and I love that both knives are completely different from each other. Tecnocut/Viper and Mike really came through for us this year! Now comes the hard decision of which to keep and which to give away! Right now I'm leaning towards keeping the blonde... But man the tree barky looking dark one is gorgeous too! Decisions!

MJ5jyb0.jpg

jWYYlrZ.jpg

Happy to report that the cleaning went very well! :thumbsup: Dawn dish soap, hot water, and a toothbrush removed all the polish from the horn pretty easily, without a lot of scrubbing. The scales (especially the show side) look a good bit different now. All of the finer light-colored streaking in the grain is now gone. Overall, this looks better IMO.

Pros: No fine, light-colored streaking in the dark horn. Looks much better I think.

Cons: The polish does fill in some of the deeper grooves, which gives the surface a nicer, smoother finish, in both feeling and look.

The show side of mine was fairly flat, and after removing the polishing compound, you can see that the actual fibers of the horn were not polished too well, so much of the glossy look is gone. The pile side was polished much better, and retains most of the glossy-looking finish without the lighter-colored streaking.

If I had my druthers, I would have preferred that Viper used a darker-colored polishing compound on the darker horn material which would have blended better. I generally prefer the smoother, glossy feeling that the scales had with the polishing compound still present. But the streaky look bothered me once I realized what was causing it. For this reason, I elected not to remove the polishing compound from the lighter colored knife I have, as the polishing compound does not distract from the look like it does on the dark one.

Here are a couple poorly-lit pictures of the results (and the as-received pics from earlier, for easy comparison). I'll get better photos tomorrow in the natural light.

IMG_6197.jpg

IMG_6205.jpg

IMG_6199.jpg

IMG_6203.jpg

Happy to report that the cleaning went very well! :thumbsup: Dawn dish soap, hot water, and a toothbrush removed all the polish from the horn pretty easily, without a lot of scrubbing. The scales (especially the show side) look a good bit different now. All of the finer light-colored streaking in the grain is now gone. Overall, this looks better IMO.

Pros: No fine, light-colored streaking in the dark horn. Looks much better I think.

Cons: The polish does fill in some of the deeper grooves, which gives the surface a nicer, smoother finish, in both feeling and look.

The show side of mine was fairly flat, and after removing the polishing compound, you can see that the actual fibers of the horn were not polished too well, so much of the glossy look is gone. The pile side was polished much better, and retains most of the glossy-looking finish without the lighter-colored streaking.

If I had my druthers, I would have preferred that Viper used a darker-colored polishing compound on the darker horn material which would have blended better. I generally prefer the smoother, glossy feeling that the scales had with the polishing compound still present. But the streaky look bothered me once I realized what was causing it. For this reason, I elected not to remove the polishing compound from the lighter colored knife I have, as the polishing compound does not distract from the look like it does on the dark one.

Here are a couple poorly-lit pictures of the results (and the as-received pics from earlier, for easy comparison). I'll get better photos tomorrow in the natural light.

View attachment 1456611

View attachment 1456624

View attachment 1456612

View attachment 1456623

Wow, that is quite the difference!

Maybe I’ve missed this... but can someone indulge me. What species of ram does this horn originate from???

Surely someone out there is nerdy like me and wants to know the specific scientific name and exact variety of animal these covers came from.

As far as I know it's from Mouflon which is an ancient type of sheep now found in the Med area. Mike will likely know for sure.

mouflon

I don't know about that Rick Railsplitter Railsplitter . I remember back when Mike knifeswapper knifeswapper started dabbling with these torx screw modern type knives, he said to be darned careful if trying to disassemble one of them as they don't necessarily go back together as easy as you might think.:eek: If someone does go down that path, they better have a good supply of different sized tiny, itsy bitsy, screws on hand.:rolleyes:

I remember that, Ed. I specifically remember Mike mentioning to be careful when torqueing the screws down. I was concerned about that with one of my Lion Steel knives so I contacted Lion Steel and asked if they could provide a torque value for the screws. I'm sorry to say that I never got a reply.

I'm notorious for stripping screws. If screws of any type are easily stripped, I'll strip them just as sure as I'm sittin' here. As a result, I've never attempted to disassemble one of these Italian modern traditionals.

SpyderPhreak SpyderPhreak - great job, that does look very good :thumbsup:

Only reservation may be that you need to possibly be careful as Rams Horn is prone to curl a wee bit if subjected to humidity changes, and perhaps the coating was to assist with preventing that...? Perhaps checking with Mike knifeswapper knifeswapper / Viper would confirm.

Last edited:
I remember that, Ed. I specifically remember Mike mentioning to be careful when torqueing the screws down. I was concerned about that with one of my Lion Steel knives so I contacted Lion Steel and asked if they could provide a torque value for the screws. I'm sorry to say that I never got a reply.

I'm notorious for stripping screws. If screws of any type are easily stripped, I'll strip them just as sure as I'm sittin' here. As a result, I've never attempted to disassemble one of these Italian modern traditionals.

Considering the frame is titanium and the backspring and blade are stainless, I plan on cleaning mine up with the scales still attached.

Back