BFC Server situation, outages, lags, and you.

Discussion in 'Tech Support, General Q&A, Site Feedback & More' started by Spark, Apr 3, 2009.

1. silver_pilate

silver_pilate

Oct 30, 2002
    Thanks for the update! I came here seeking some answers for the lags and occasional brief outages I've been having. Usually seems to happen most on the weekends for me. Maybe it's just because I'm on more then and notice it.

I mirror what all the others have said. This is the best and most informative site I've ever seen. I'll put up with whatever I have to for the privilege of using this site.

God bless! And make the heads roll!! ;)

--nathan

2. Spark

Spark HPIC - Hatas gonna Hate Staff Member Administrator Super Mod Moderator

Oct 2, 1998
    Server should be switching over hopefully sometime this weekend. Last weekend and most of this week were scrubbed due to uncontrollable, unforeseeable personnel issues, but we'll be rocking out shortly.

3. Fred Sanford

Fred Sanford Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2006
    Spark,

Thanks for the info. I do network/server/webserver/linux/cisco/ etc.... for a living. The offer will always stand if you need some advice or want some guidance.

I'm not at all saying your web guys or you don't know what you're doing. Just offering a hand if you want any extra help.

I realize you don't have to answer this but if you don't mind answering cool.

1. How many hits a day do you get?
    2. How large is the database?
    3. How many posts a day on average?
    4. Do you know what kind of drives they "supposedly" had you on?

Sounds like they have you on a virtual server with your site on a SAN and the disk groups are not set up properly. If this is the case do you know what kind of disk they are using? Improperly set up disk groups on a SAN or NAS will will cause disk thrashing and hot spots.

I know this is somewhat "technical" but I'm sure you and/or some of your guys may understand it.

Again....just wanna help if I can. Not looking for anything in return. I just kinda get paid to do my hobby. ;)

4. koyote

koyote

Mar 29, 2007
    Well, I am a few years out of date! And, well, the last major systems I worked on for media delivery we had dozens of racks of 12 servers with 72GB cache filesystems- with an entire rack as an FRU. As badass as BF is (and it is!) it's probably not quite that load instensive :D

Spark, to echo everyone else and add my 25 cents- I have tried several other forums, both knife and non-knife related and this one is just the best overall- politics, management, performance, and UI inclusive. One hell of a watering hole on the net.

5. JatMat

JatMat

Aug 26, 2006
    When clicking "New Post" my average time now is .10 seconds. Same for replying to posts and going to new post. It is smoking now.

Thanks for all you do Kevin, your work is appreciated.

Jim

6. Guyon

Guyon Biscuit Whisperer Staff Member Super Mod

Mar 15, 2000
    The server is ripping along at warp speed now. Thanks, Spark.

7. 110 Dave

110 Dave Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2004
    K. we will still be here, heck i thought it was fire fox as it was happenign on other sites also .. thanks for the effort !

still my fav site to cop some quite time on ..

8. gajinoz

gajinoz

Sep 2, 2003
    Working really well for me this morning.

9. scarysharp

scarysharp

Mar 4, 2008
    Well its 8:30 pm here on the EC and its zippin' along nicely (just like the good old days- of last month LOL).

10. carrot

carrot

Jan 9, 2006
    Thanks for all the hard work Spark! I appreciate your efforts in making Bladeforums a wonderful place to hang out. Also, seems the server move went well, as everything is running quite smoothly over here.

11. Keith Montgomery

Keith Montgomery

May 9, 2000
    Just now I was running into it taking between 10 and 20 seconds for forums or threads to open. Not a big deal, but I thought I should report it.

12. SBranson

SBranson

Oct 29, 2006
    I'm getting database error bumps with searches and back to the old brutally long wait times... Something not right?

13. SteelUser

SteelUser

Oct 2, 2005
    Spark,
    Just another vote of confidence for your efforts. Thanks for working all of the behind-the-scenes hassles...

14. nick74

nick74

Nov 29, 2008
    What are you searching for and is it always reproducible?

15. Nic Ramirez

Nic Ramirez Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Let me know if there is anything I can do Kevin.

16. Jaxx

Jaxx Moderator Moderator

Jan 18, 2006
    Database error from 3:12pm to 3:18pm.

17. HikingMano

HikingMano

Sep 2, 2008
    database error around 12-1 pm here.

Thanks for cranking on this Spark :thumbup:

18. Trent Rock

Trent Rock

Jun 29, 2007
    Thanks for the new gear/hardware Spark!!!

It's funny how I find myself mumbling in anger when it take 3 SECONDS for a page to load
    I have top remind my self of the 56.6K modem days.........:eek:

19. STR

STR Knifemaker/Moderator Moderator

Aug 27, 2004
    I'm getting eratic 'Database error' messages quite often today. It happened a couple times yesterday too but today is the worst yet.

STR

20. Samael

Samael

Sep 30, 2007
    Same here, for the last 3-4 hours or so. Seems like things are running slower even when it is working as well.