BFF First Impressions

Thanks Dave, you are right- not everyone. And of course the discussion depends upon how we define the tool- what do we expect the FF to do?

I'm not one involved in the design of the FF. From my observations, the purpose of fullers were to retain strength while eliminating some weight. (as well as beauty) I thought 24 ounces would be too light and it is in my opinion. I think even 26 would be a vast improvement. Fans of the FF wanted something carryable. The early FF was heavy- many easily over 30 ounces.

The FF will chop like a crazy man if you give it a few more ounces. No more than 28, and no less than 27.

I believe Yvsa and others have also opined in a similar vein.

Let me conclude- the 24 ounce FF is a wonder- it is remarkable to behold, to handle, it sings, carries well, and will provide for a number of camp chores.
If you wish to keep this rendition going, though, I believe the price should go up, as the failure rate back in Nepal was high.

munk

Dave Rishar said:
Here's the thing: there seems to be a very thin line somewhere in the design and once it's crossed, the performance goes downhill quickly. When I first started hearing complaints from people about their FF's I initially doubted them. It wasn't until I got to use Cndrm's FF that I realized that there are some floating around that don't chop as well as others.

We spent some time comparing the three Follies, trying to pin down just what made the difference. There isn't any one variable that I can point to but something is causing a problem. I will say that mine definitely hits with less authority than heavier models due to simple physics, but penetrates better than most without binding; it all seems to even out in the end.

Another problem may be the way we view the role of the FF. I see it as a general purpose/ camping khukuri - as in, it has to take care of whatever odds and ends come up. It's not made to drop a tree but it can in a pinch. It's not made to buck logs all day but it can if need be. It's too short to safely clear prickly brush but it will do the job if there's not a machete handy. In being a jack of all trades, it's obviously a master of none.

And in return? That light weight and excellent balance means that it will be hanging on my belt when I need it (as opposed to sitting on my workbench) and I'll still be chopping when the guy with the AK needs a break.

My take on it, but perhaps I'm viewing it incorrectly.

I'm still quite pleased with mine.

Satori,

What you are saying is exactly what I am experiencing.

I initially held off getting one because a lot of folks were saying they didn't chop as well.

However just like you mention when I bring it down on a log I don't feel the clunk of weight on my hand like my BGRS, which is exactly the same weight and length but it seems to cut as well, or better.

Also I totally agree with the intended use thing. For me, I mainly hike in the woods and clear trails. Most of my stuff is at odd angles and 7" or smaller. The 18" 2 lb ers most of them are too heavy to swing fast enough to say cut a 1/2" sapling, or to cut at an angle with.

If I was felling trees or bucking a big tree I'd probably go for something bigger cause I'd be coming straight down on it. However really for me at least you get above 7" and an axe will do the job better.

I find a 1 lb hatchet as far as weight versus cutting power will beat a 1 lb khukuri. So unless I'm bushwhacking backpacking I'm carrying an axe.

I find on stuff 7 or 8" or above an axe like the GB Hunters or Small Forest axe is better, faster and easier on the arms than a 2 or 3 lb khuk.

However in that class you are talking about where there is general purpose work of a chopping and macheteing nature a khuk will beat a large hatchet or small axe.

Different folks, different strokes. As happy as I am with mine, some people would not like it. There have undoubtedly been compromises made in the interest of conveniance and portability.

I see where you're coming from, Munk. A few more ounces would probably please most people and even I wouldn't object to it too much, as long as the balance and character are preserved. Half an ounce in the wrong place and that wonderful dancing feeling will go away. My favorite aspect of the FF in my possession is its ability to get it down without brute force. It has a certain elegance when swung, and I'd hate to see that go away.

I bet the kamis can pull it off.

I think three more ounces would keep it dancing, dancing better, and chop a lot more wood besides, and still be light to carry.

munk

My FF has always seemed more like a weapon than a tool. I've thought that since the first time that I picked it up. It's a "feel" thing;difficult to describe.

In handling alone it's my favorite khuk. When it comes to chopping then it's my 16" BGRS that I prefer. More of that "feel" thing.

At the risk of being blasphemous, my FF is just too darn pretty to do any chopping with! It's going to be relegated strictly to the zombie killing role.

Ya'll is talkin' about issues with the dynamic balance and desired impact points. I mentioned similar issues with my dui chirra in Hollow Dweller's thread about khukri cutting techniques.

It's really not correct to say that it would be better if it weighed 24 ounces or 28 oz. Either one could be done well or poorly. The more important thing is to think about where that weight is placed, and I am certain it can be done predictably by someone who knows what they're doing. One of these days I plan to regrind my kuk and see how it pans out, again.

I had mine out this afternoon. I severed this really dry oak log of about 7".

The log was up against a bank diagnonally and it was a bit hard to get a good angle on it.

I just have to say that I am amazed that I cut something that thick and hard with something this thin and there were no bends or rolls. The QC that Munk mentioned going into these things must be awesome. I was hitting rock hard heart wood I was sure that would bend it. Definately not razor sharp at finish but not dull either:thumbup:

I have found one disadvantage though. Although this model I feel chops as good or better than the Ganga, for cutting at odd angles the tip is a bit too pointed to really use it to cut with. The Ganga with the more rounded tip is better to cut the section right against the ground with. Where the tip on the FF is more pointy I can't get as much impact on the last part of the blade compared to a Ganga.

Edited to add that I have rolled the edge on a Ganga Ram, Rolled the edge on an AK Bowie before, Knocked a whole section and broke the handle off an 18" AK, and broke the head of a GB Mini Hatchet and all of those except the Ganga were on softer wood than this.

I have rolled the edge on a Ganga Ram, Rolled the edge on an AK Bowie before, Knocked a whole section and broke the handle off an 18" AK, and broke the head of a GB Mini Hatchet and all of those except the Ganga were on softer wood than this.>>>>> Hollow

Dang. Remind me not to lend you my chainsaw.

munk

munk said:
Dang. Remind me not to lend you my chainsaw.
munk

Never broke a chansaw yet.;) But did get one really bound up and used the Ganga Ram I had previously rolled and re-sharpened to chop it out. When I got done the ganga looked SERRATED from hitting the chain, but I put it on the belt sander, got all the chips out and it seems to chop fine:D Of course it's like 1/8" thinner spine to edge now:eek:

Oh yea, I forgot I rolled the edge on one of the 18" 2 lb bonecutters too about a month ago. On this same tree I used the FF without incident on, and at that time the tree had higher moisture content and was easier to chop:)

Got my camera working. Here's that oak. I can't believe this khuk being so thin didn't bend cutting it. Sorry it was cut by dark so the pics aren't perfect. Last pic shows how tight the grain was

me.jpg

chopage1.jpg

chopage2.jpg

HollowDweller said:
Got my camera working. Here's that oak. I can't believe this khuk being so thin didn't bend cutting it. Sorry it was cut by dark so the pics aren't perfect. Last pic shows how tight the grain was.

Dayum!!!! Now I am truly impressed! That Foxy Folly must've had a pretty decent edge on it to cut the Oak so smoothly, looks almost like the grain is polished!!!!:thumbup: :D :cool:

Very good!...but,um sorry man....in the first pic you look like an insane leprechaun!! (the green clothes really do you in!) :D

What, did you guys think that I was making all this up? :) At least some of these FF's are pretty damned effective.

HD, you look like a happy (albeit slightly maniacal) man. My cuts with chainsaws aren't that smooth. Nice work. How hot did the blade get?

Dave Rishar said:
HD, you look like a happy (albeit slightly maniacal) man. My cuts with chainsaws aren't that smooth. Nice work. How hot did the blade get?

My Wife: Baby, you're looking a little crazed today

She says that all the time for some reason:p

Yvsa,

It had a great factory edge. Part of the shinyness is that the log was nearly dead dry and the polished blade polished it. The other part is that I cut it night before last? , and took the pics last night and there was a little ice on it.
It was slow going, like anything that dry, and sometimes I'd slam the blade down hard, which I usually avoid, and not very much would come off, esp in the heart wood. Those are the slams that when I feel them I start looking for rolling and bending, but amazingly there was none.

I'll post a pic of the khuk when I finish the handle. I took it down a lot but it still needs more taper to the ring, and there is still a little edge of wood protruding over the bolster I need to take off.

Your property is like a playground for a khuk fanatic. I'm jealous. I have trimmed every limb I can reach in my little yard, and the trees are now scared to grow limbs low enough for me to get to. I don't think its wise to take a big cruvy blade up a ladder, so I'm down to chopping lumber. My wife thinks this is funny, but I've got lots of old pieces of boards, so I've been hauling them into the backyard and chopping and splitting them. She could be right I guess. I don't use hardwood, so my FF has only done pine boards, but she hasn't turned, and there is less vibration than in any of my other blades. Plus she sings...aah! So satisfying when you get your fix.

A huge tree went down yesterday on my power line to my barn. Not breaking the line but knocking down the pole. It is so long it also is blocking my path up into the woods. That will be my next pictorial.:thumbup:

More than a playground even, my place is the place where I don't have to really hunt up stuff to do with my khuk. There's stuff really needs done.

What, did you guys think that I was making all this up? At least some of these FF's are pretty damned effective>>>> Dave Rishar

Believe it or not, I remembered what you said as I was writing about the FF.
And you've hit upon the magic factor; after all is said and done, edges compared, angles measured, weight measured and the distribution understood, after all that, I'm still not sure that some khuks will simply cut better than others. Is that Magic, or heat treatment? Magic, or type of steel?

Can a tree tell what steel is whacking away at it's life?

munk

Back