BG-42 Knives

Some West Marine stores might still have some 2004 SOG Autoclips with BG42 Tanto blades. This was a low cost Zytel linerless 3.5 in folder.

Also keep your eyes open for X-42 SOG Recondo or Field knive with 5.5 in BG42 blades. These originally sold for around $100. I have a SOG BG42 Field Knive squirreled away that I will one day send out for custom grips and hand rubbed blade finish.

I suppose the Grail Knife for what I'm looking for would be an older Sebenza with the BG-42 blade,but alas,they are very hard to find & probably extremely expensive.

Hard to find, to be sure. Extremely expensive, not so much. I just paid for my second-hand but refurb'd small Seb in BG42 what a used small Seb in S30V would cost. Well, maybe a bit more, but honestly not a whole lot... certainly not more than the price of a new one.

Keep looking... it's a great feeling when you finally score one!

Once upon a time, in a state famous for potatoes, there was a knife company - Buck Knives - that had a 'Custom Knife Shop that would make you a BG-42 bladed 110 for $65 + $19 for the 'upgrade steel' - a whopping $84 - delivered, if you were a BCCI member. See my orange Fiji handled one (Bottom, below.) - with NS bolsters. Above it is a jigged and finger-grooved water buffalo scaled NS bolster version with a BCCI Collector's version - black G10 over red/black Micarta (Get a magnifier to see those layers!) scales and NS bolsters. All have BG-42 blade steel - and came sharp.

IMG_3525.jpg

Sadly, two years ago today, I had never heard of their 'Custom Shop' - they dropped the BG-42 last year, the last such 110 blades going in the BCCI knives, like the one on top above. A call to them may just find a leftover or a rework of that model - you never know. I was told they no longer made Damascus bladed knives - boy, did I get a beauty - with teardrop Damascus. It may be worth a call. Get their number from their web site.

Nice blade material. That $84 one was a deal - the others were 'more' - still, I don't use it - too pretty. I have a second BCCI knife - actually, the one shown - it's my 'user'... what a user! I have no experience in resharpening BG-42 on my Spydie Sharpmaker... yet. Good luck!

Stainz

Buck makes a limited edition Vanguard using BG-42 & Burl Wood handles.If you search around,you should be able to find one just <$100

Good Luck:)

I tried for weeks to find above buck on line no luck. Does anyone know where i can find one?

this steel was the last reeves used before going to s30v
his comment " although s30v is'nt light yrs.better than bg42 he thought it was a tad better than bg42.not a big advantage over bg42 but still some added improvement" of course both had to have a good heattreat to see a difference.

Back