BG/CG BB13, 1311 comparison

I finally got out to do some more chopping today. I hadn't used the BB13's since I stripped them. We also took out my buddy's DogFather and my 1111.

The DogFather has been sharpened/reprofiled. It performed very well. It made a nice V.

My 1111 has been sharpened a little but not really reprofiled. This is my "get home" bag large knife. It goes everywhere my car does but I don't always get it out when I'm out playing. It only took one swing to remember why I like it so much. It's a great chopper and for me the closest thing to a Basic Battle Mistress.

I started chopping with the BB13's. I can't say I noticed any difference since stripping but I didn't go that deep. The Battle Grade still seems to beat out the Combat Grade when it comes to chopping. It's minor and probably only noticeable when using the knives side by side.

Then I picked up the 1311. Of course, I immediately noticed the lighter weight and quickness. One swing is all it took for it to hold it's place as my best chopper.

For me, the 1111, 1311, BGBB13 and CGBB13 all perform very close to the same. The 1311 is my current favorite chopper but my 1111 goes everywhere with me and I don't think twice about it.

Next I plan to clean up the BB13's a little more with the ScothBrite wheel and sander and then have my buddy sharpen and reprofile them along with the 1311.

Ladams19

Gold Member
great write up, thank you for the posting. I got the Dogfather and CG BB13, no 1311 to compare it to. Thanks again. Good read and nice pics.

Currawong

Platinum Member
I've got an NMFBM fatty (.29) and a recently arrived CGBB13, I did a small comparison test today. Both chop about the same to the point where I can't tell the difference. Both will cut through an inch thick branch of green hardwood in a single chop, and in anything thicker will penetrate to the same depth. The NMFBM is a heavier knife, and gives a bit more fatigue to use, so on that measure the CGBB13 is the better chopper.

Nice write up 👍🏻
Once I knocked down the shoulders on my 1111, it holds its own and maybe even edges out my CGFBM

Wonder if someone took the time
(and did it the right way so
they didn't mess up the heat treat)
to do a FFG regrind on the CGB13
...shaving a good chunk of weight off and thinning it out
to the width of the 1311, if that'd make it the king-chopper
everyone expected it to be.

Has anybody ever taken a Busse saber and re-worked it to a FFG?
Pics?

I'd do it if I had a grinder, but unfortunately I don't.

Has anybody ever taken a Busse saber and re-worked it to a FFG?
Pics?

I'd do it if I had a grinder, but unfortunately I don't.

^^ iirc, Zmbhntr sent his out to REK to have "something special" done to his. I'm hoping he might have asked for something along those lines. Minus making the blade straight personally, I think the bolo shape is cool. Certainly can't blame people for wanting an INFI 1311 though.

I've thought about regrinding my CGBB13 to a full height convex. Probably very feasible to get it down to the same weight as the BG at least. I only have a 1x30" though, so that's a lot of blade for such a skinny belt. I'm sure I could get it done, but not sure it won't look like shite lol.

Thanks for the update and the effort JD! I plan to take the 1311 and CG13 out later today.

Haven't had much luck in seeing big absolute differences between blades in the chopping work I do, there's just too many variables for me. I imagine anything you can do to normalize the edge angles and sharpness will help a little, but even then thickness behind the edge will probably vary and have a big effect on penetration.

zombieassassin

Gold Member
I too am working on my CGBB13. Not sending it out just yet....using 2" stones and rubbing by hand to thin out the edge and flatten the flat primary grind. The gremlins really hit me hard but I'm good with that. I'll still be sanding and grinding this time next year though

Did a little of my own comparison chopping with the 1311 and CGBB13 today. Also brought along the Boom Parang for good measure.

The CG13 is a beast for sure, I'll probably need some time to get used to it. The edge will also probably need attention sooner than later, it couldn't keep up with the lighter blades today. My 1311 is stock, but came with a comparatively thin edge, and the Parang has been reprofiled. Plus, the lighter blades were easier to control and I'm a bit rusty/weak from being on hiatus for the past few months.

2ytzdd2.jpg

jqq9eo.jpg

al2o9v.jpg

Didn't grab a ton of pics, but chopped through a downed tree across one of our trails (above) and then broke down/chopped up a bunch of honeysuckle branches that I cleared out. The CG13 has the edge in brute force, but didn't bite quite as well as the others and was more likely to glance during the work.

zmbhntr

̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿''̿ ̿

^^ iirc, Zmbhntr sent his out to REK to have "something special" done to his. I'm hoping he might have asked for something along those lines. Minus making the blade straight personally, I think the bolo shape is cool. Certainly can't blame people for wanting an INFI 1311 though.

Josh has not told me when my CG13 will be done being worked on, but it will have a full flat grind when it comes back to me. He grinds at low speed and uses coolant, so there won't be any damage to the heat treat. :friendly_wink:

Ladams19

Gold Member
I was doing some air cuts with the BB13 and I got a thought. I wonder how this would compare to a Gladius. From the feeling of it, it has weight on the end and it would hack just about anything reasonable in half. I wonder, now this is just a thought, how good of a weapon this would be in something like SHTF situation or even the Walking Dead. You guys have more experience with these blades, what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks for this review. I scored an 1111 from the cupid ganza and am very very excited to try it out. Even though i have not yet swung the 1111 i have read enough positive feedback about it that i would be all over an 1111 in INFI. This 1111 will be my first experience with res-c handle and I am really looking forward to it. I do a lot of whackin' and stackin' up here in Alaska and wanted to try out a more "grippy" grip. That and I am hoping that the hand shock will be a bit less compared to my other Bussekin blades with micarta/g-10. Thanks again for taking the time to put this together.

Native XF ad, Below bottom BC