Photos BG SOS & Hell Razor (strippers)

Decided my SOS was a keeper and started work to personalize it this weekend.

Size reference with my other 'DUs:

2i6crv4.jpg

Started by hand sanding the scales. My one minor qualm with the blade was the sharp corners around the relief wells for the flared tubes, which are recessed pretty deep. The sanding fixed this and made the whole grip extremely comfortable.

I always sand wet with quality paper. 60 grit made short work of removing the bulk of the milled texturing, then moved up through various grits. Here is the initial finish, left a couple of faint lines but they only took a few minutes to go back and take care of:

2rol5so.jpg

Proceeded to the Citristrip, skipped the etch on the logo this time. I've found a little heat really seems to help move things along. Just enough the get the blade up to 100°f or so. I use a heat gun on low and monitor the temp with an infrared thermometer, but a hair dryer on low should be fine too.

Here's a shot after the first round of scraping. Scales are also finished but very dry here:

14y1zo.jpg

A little more gel and scraping helped finish off the coating. Next, I clamped the blade to my bench and went to work on the decarb. Having the blade clamped down and using a little push block on top of the paper really helped to make short work of it and helped save my fingertips big time.

This is what it looked like after attacking it with 100 grit paper:

ibglk7.jpg

Used a vice to hold the blade and continued with the block and sandpaper to clean up the spine, etc. I'm out of 220 grit paper, so next I jumped straight to 320 to continue removing decarb and refine the scratch pattern. This worked fine with the micarta, but might be too big a step on the steel. Will probably need to do another full round with the 320 before I think about going higher. Really happy with the results so far though, plan to take this up to an LE-type satin finish as time allows:

2numy51.jpg

Really, really pumped about this blade. Thanks for reading. :thumbsup:

Thanks all!

Nice tip Elof, I've just been making it up as I go along. That convexing looks great.

Been putting this off for a while because it looks like a lot of detail work, but there's no turning back now. :thumbsup:

Just finished etching and into the gloop:

2qw3ls7.jpg

I did my BG AMS and the SOS above by hand, but I may bring in some power tools on this one. Thinking scotchbrite wheel on my dremel for the fuller and maybe a similar belt for the 1x30"? I'm due to restock on belts anyway. Any specific suggestions are welcome.

Finished scraping and did a quick round with 100 grit paper to knock off some of the decarb. Somehow I'm 0 for 4 on finding any real rough grinder/tooling marks under the coating.

Work in progress:
py8o.jpg

This is the first time I've etched the Battle Grade logo. It turned out fine, but the "SR-101" isn't quite as sharp as I hoped.

I know the mirror finish will be more visually stunning, but this "work in progress" looks like it is screaming for use.

Looking good inkynate!!! Always like your post!!! I think I have learned more about choppers and big blades from you than anywhere else!!!

Also I have had great luck knocking decarb off with a wire wheel on a drill. Picked up the wire wheels from Harbor freight for like 3-5 dollars.

Haha, hope some of it is helpful freehouse32 freehouse32 , I'm really just learning as I go and like to talk blades... a lot :rolleyes::D

Thanks for the tip, will look into it. :thumbsup:

This Hell Razor is looking Bada$$ in person, really glad I went for it.

Hell Razor is underrated, IMHO.

Definite upgrade on the nekkid sr101!

It's just a little daunting everytime you go to work on an expensive blade, but steel is very forgiving as long as you don't ruin the temper with power tools. Congrats on making these your own--- really adds to pride of ownership!

I know the mirror finish will be more visually stunning, but this "work in progress" looks like it is screaming for use.

I agree. I try to do enough to ensure there's decent corrosion resistance, but like to leave them with a "cleaned up" competition type finish. (Or I'm just too lazy to go full satin, lol.)

Hell Razor is underrated, IMHO.

Definite upgrade on the nekkid sr101!

It's just a little daunting everytime you go to work on an expensive blade, but steel is very forgiving as long as you don't ruin the temper with power tools. Congrats on making these your own--- really adds to pride of ownership!

Thanks man, totally agree. I gain a little confidence on every mod. Definitely have made some mistakes, but it always seems to work out and I learn something for the next time.

Back