Bg42 large regular sebenza should I use or not

cofade2black

Gold Member
Hey guys I recently purchased a large bg42 sebenza. The knife is in mint condition coming today. What I was wondering is if I should use it or put away in the safe. I have had many sebenzas pass through my hands, but never a large bg42. Right now I am sporting a para2 but tempted to carry the regular. Tell me what you guys think.

Depends on your preference. In my case all of mine get used and I think most all manufacturers would prefer that their products get real world use. They also love to get feedback and I have never gave my opinion and received anything other than thanks. So, I say use it and just take note how it performs compared to others.

Unless you bought it as an investment to make $$ on down the road, use it and enjoy it. If you hand it down, I am sure the individual would rather know that YOU used it and enjoyed it rather than got it mint in box with no use at all. My first sebenza was a large regular BG-42. I don't carry it as I have other CRK I carry, but I did when I got it and loved every minute of it. Its what prompted the probably other 60 sebenzas I have had since.

What good is a knife locked away in a safe?

Use that sucker, lifes too short as it is.

I have seen used (but not abused) rare pieces go for not much less the a NIB. I think having all the paperwork including the box plays a bigger role in resale value. My vote is to use it and don't think about it, you wouldn't buy a car that you've always wanted and then let it sit in the garage, would you?

Some great advice in this thread ;)

I'd say that if you bought it to put it in your pocket then do so and have no regrets, life is too short to worry about resale value; unless you bought it to flip it in a year or so, then don't use it because ill want my knife mint so that I can be the one to put the first nasty scratch in it ;)

Enjoy your awesome new knife.

Use it. Like another has said you can always get it re-ferbed back at CRK if you so choose to. It will come back looking brand new.

I wouldn't use it hard. I'd carry it, and do light stuff like cut open packages or similar stuff. Wouldn't dare try to put a new edge or re profile it...would ruin it IMO as its a somewhat rare knife.

If you use it with reasonable care and respect, you're never gonna wear it out. It even might last forever ;)

Definitely keep it pristine. That way, when you die and your wife's next husband gets it, the knife won't have your drywall dust and chicken gravy on it. Geez - don't you have any respect for those who will follow you? I can't believe you even asked this question.

I just got her and she is toooooo sexy to lock away, I will use her but not abuse her. I will post a pic of her later

Definitely keep it pristine. That way, when you die and your wife's next husband gets it, the knife won't have your drywall dust and chicken gravy on it. Geez - don't you have any respect for those who will follow you? I can't believe you even asked this question.

This. I was going to say: put it somewhere where it'll never get used. That way, your widow or your ex-wife or you grandkids can use it as a screwdriver or donate it to the local thrift store where someone will pick it up for $5 and use it to cut sheetrock. :rolleyes: :( ;)

I have two Sebenzas, both large Regulars in BG42, both well-used. One is a drop point, one a tanto. Both perform nicely, and throw temper tantrums when I try to baby them. :grumpy: Use it, ya wimp! :D

None of these are pristine!

tresamigos.jpg

Back