1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Bhutan Sword and 21" Chitlangi

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by westfork, Dec 3, 2006.

1. westfork

westfork

Aug 27, 2003
    Yesterday I received a Bhutan Sword (Patang) and 21 inch villager Chitlangi from the 11/28 In Honor of Father Sale. These are two very nice blades. The 21 inch Chitlangi has been my favorite "go to" knife but this Bhutan Sword gives it some competition. Both are very secure and solid in the hand, have good reach without being awkward, and have great strength without being too heavy. They are also very similar in size:
    Bhutan Sword......................21" Chiltlangi
    21.5" long.........................21" long (21.5" to end of buttcap)
    35 ounces.........................30.75 ounces
    13.75" blade......................14.75" blade
    5/16" to 3/8" spine..............3/8"+ spine
    3/16" tang thickness
    6.25" handle......................5.125" handle
    The Chitlangi of course feels more like a chopper while the Bhutan Sword feels more like a large knife. The chiruwa handle puts the point of balance much closer to the hand with the Bhutan Sword. The handle on the Bhutan Sword allows for many grip positions - It is wide close to the guard and narrows towards the end. The "knob" on the end allows for great retention and the handle is long enough for a 1 1/2 hand grip. This Bhutan Sword is by Bura and both Chitlangis are by Sher. The villager Chitlangi has received one day's worth of diluted natural tung oil so far. The blades aren't really cleaned up for the pictures as they have the old oil/wax battle going on yet.

These pictures are for size comparison only as photo quality leaves much to be desired.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here with my old 21" Chitlangi thrown in for good measure:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you Yangdu for the great blades.
    Lloyd

2. Jaiofspam

Jaiofspam

Apr 24, 2006
    awesome pics westfork...
    love the bhutan... would you happen to have a pic with you holding it :p
    just so i can imagine it being me :D

3. Skyler R.

Skyler R.

Dec 27, 2005
    Wonderful blades you snagged there Lloyd, and good photos as well.

I have long wondered about the bhutan sword. The handle/blade configuration always had me wondering, it's as though it has the handle for a long blade, yet when you look at the blade it seems as though the handle should be shorter. Maybe I will have to ask for on in a shorter handle to match the blade or one with a longer blade to match the handle.

A photo of you holding it would also help me with the size of it. I know I was surprised when I saw a uddha sword in hand (Josh Muller I believe posted it). I never imagined that it was as large as it was, and maybe my perception of the handle/blade configuration on the bhutan sword would change as well once seeing a in hand photo.

4. westfork

westfork

Aug 27, 2003
    OK Jimmy. Just insert a picture of your head.

[​IMG]

5. Jaiofspam

Jaiofspam

Apr 24, 2006
    lol!!!!!! thank you west :D

6. westfork

westfork

Aug 27, 2003
    Here is a quick shot of a Bhutan Sword with an Uddha. This Uddha is 2 ounces heavier and almost 2 inches longer than this Bhutan Sword. I find the Bhutan balances in my hand a lot better and feels much lighter than only the two ounce difference.
    Lloyd

[​IMG]

7. Skyler R.

Skyler R.

Dec 27, 2005
    Thanks for the photos Lloyd

8. tedwca

tedwca

Dec 10, 2005
    Thanks for the pics and the review.

9. Yangdu

Yangdu [email protected] Himalayan Imports-Owner Moderator