BICYCLES & BLADES

flatblackcapo

Part time maker, very very part time
Gold Member
Post pics of your knives with your bicycles or bicycle related stuff, like parts, tools , ect.

40783284873_89970d60e9_h.jpg

bikerector bikerector

Last edited:
Can't say I've ever carried a knife on a ride. Here's some pics of bikes tho!

Taken on my most recent ride. If you have the option to take some dirt, always take the dirt, even on a road bike!
F825nQG.jpg

Shaq's bike. I replaced a few spokes on the 36" wheels. In this pic I'm standing uphill from the bike, on level ground the grips hit me in the shoulder. I'm 5'10".
ZWHrBS2.jpg

Only 3 miles into a gravel race a few years ago I crashed out. Banged up the bike a bit and opened my knee real good, had to get 13 stitches. Most frustrating part of it all was that I had been riding HARD all summer and was in the best shape of my life and without the crash should have had the race of my life...turning off of dirt onto pavement at about 20mph, still in a big group, I was watching all the riders around me and apparently hit some gravel on the asphalt and the front end washed out. Thankfully I didn't take out any other riders.
qEtCY45.jpg

Biggest log hop I've ever done, luckily captured on camera! Video here :: https://www.instagram.com/p/1Eacu0ypmC/
LogHop.png

I don't have pics, but I carry my Native 5 Salt when i ride. Tarmac and Diverge. OP, how is the S-Works Tarmac? I would love to try an S-Works one day!

Can't say I've ever carried a knife on a ride. Here's some pics of bikes tho!

Taken on my most recent ride. If you have the option to take some dirt, always take the dirt, even on a road bike!
F825nQG.jpg

Shaq's bike. I replaced a few spokes on the 36" wheels. In this pic I'm standing uphill from the bike, on level ground the grips hit me in the shoulder. I'm 5'10".
ZWHrBS2.jpg

Only 3 miles into a gravel race a few years ago I crashed out. Banged up the bike a bit and opened my knee real good, had to get 13 stitches. Most frustrating part of it all was that I had been riding HARD all summer and was in the best shape of my life and without the crash should have had the race of my life...turning off of dirt onto pavement at about 20mph, still in a big group, I was watching all the riders around me and apparently hit some gravel on the asphalt and the front end washed out. Thankfully I didn't take out any other riders.
qEtCY45.jpg

Biggest log hop I've ever done, luckily captured on camera! Video here :: https://www.instagram.com/p/1Eacu0ypmC/
LogHop.png

Nice bikes, I miss my old boyd hoops but after I stopped racing and got fat, they made a little less sense. Working on getting into "non-competitive racing racing" shape at the moment. Hoping to get into those non-USAC gravel races again. I haven't decide if I want to do cyclocross yet because it always hurts. I prefer my vassago fisti for gravel, but when I was 40 pounds lighter and less hard on wheels, I rode the carbon speed demon on the gravel a ton.

No knives in these pics. I have started carrying my buck ops boot knife recently after getting decent at bushcraft and learning a lot of tricks that I think could be useful for getting home. It could be better than stuffing tires full of grass and corn stalks.
Vassago fisticuff, all fendered up before I moved to monstercross tires.
ZitH3pCl.jpg

Jddisayl.jpg

10593080_10204673553223993_1589748433387405221_n.jpg

Norco tactic when I still raced and was an ambassador for Norco and 3T
oYbti7yl.jpg

aqUTIzVl.jpg

5n6FTWIl.jpg

And the wonders of studded tires on a cross bike. I use this as my backup SSCX race bike, after converting a rigid 27.5" mtb into a sscx bike (must have deleted all my pics of that one).
JQRTnWIl.jpg

Here's the 27.5" hardtail before I converted it, racing a little CX at a course that is notoriously bumpy. We like to run CX on XC courses in Michigan, for some reason.
cIiYJULl.jpg

pJQbGMfl.jpg

Found some on my FB account, not sure how well these will work. The last race I did, after the lack of training and weight gain started getting me. Still got the hole shot.
22195640_10214227404904314_4448071967579367131_n.jpg

14918800_10155401486599745_8366291637723471340_o.jpg

14883489_10101990928924582_4223930455401393907_o.jpg

And the MT that often gets to go on the adventures with me:
8BVqx8Sl.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is going to hurt me...

Older picture of the primary ride, a 79 Trek 510 with Ishawata 022. Current build is very different. Moved to BMX pedals, 2x gearing with a bash guard and back to my much prefered DT shifters. The bike now has a front rack.

510-right-side by Pinnah, on Flickr

In essence, I took the parts off of my 80 Fuji S-12S Ltd and put it on the Trek. The Trek looks very much like this now. Handles longish road rides, errands, gravel and light single track just fine. Next move may be to convert it to 650B.

Back to Peaks by Pinnah, on Flickr

I've got bad neuromas in each foot. A 30 minute ride will make it painful to walk for days. Undergoing injections to deaden the nerves but will likely have to have both cut out. I've had one removed a few years back. Just a long recovery. Wondering if I'll ever ride hard again.

The Opinel 9 rides next to my iPhone. That huge Jandd seat bag is the bee's knees and the ancient Eclipse handlebar bag went Seattle->Boston with me back in the 80s.
Untitled by Pinnah, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice bikes, I miss my old boyd hoops but after I stopped racing and got fat, they made a little less sense. Working on getting into "non-competitive racing racing" shape at the moment. Hoping to get into those non-USAC gravel races again. I haven't decide if I want to do cyclocross yet because it always hurts. I prefer my vassago fisti for gravel, but when I was 40 pounds lighter and less hard on wheels, I rode the carbon speed demon on the gravel a ton.

If you need a goal to train for, come do the race I put on! www.MiddleGaEpic.com

If you need a goal to train for, come do the race I put on! www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Sounds like fun. The big one I used to do nearly every year here was the Barry-Roubaix. This year, they added a 100-miler but I always hated even the 66-mile course. It's not bad as far as a ride, but for a race it was really brutal since a lot of elite riders would get in on it and I would blow up every time trying to hang, but I was never good at hills (being a heavyweight sprinter/hammer tempo artist) and would get dropped on the hills and have to catch up and I usually died at some point around mile 45.

The other hard part is that it's also early in the year and training in the winter for long-distance is just tough since riding outside is challenging and time consuming, not just because of the riding but it seems like it takes forever to get all of the clothes on and off. When I was really getting after it, I was pretty known for getting sinus infections after long hard rides, including the Barry-Roubaix, and usually I would miss work. In retrospect, I should have planned some vacay days to recover like I would for endurance mtb races, which are a whole different thing that I wish I would've done more of when I was in really good shape. I'll get more into since I like long-slow miles more than all of the sprint training and intervals that came with road racing.

Don't get me wrong, it was a lot of fun, but it was very time consuming and you have to be more dedicated to it than I'm willing to these days. I have a few big things finishing up next winter and then I hope to start getting back into endurance riding shape. There's a randoneur group in Detroit that I've been following for 3 years but never joined an event. I need to get in on that action.

How do you like that cane creek rear shock? I've looked at them for my anthem as the stock shock is a basic sram monarch with minimal adjustments. It's fine for the tamer trails I tend to ride but it's easily overwhelmed with some of the rougher trails in the area that are "old school" and have plenty of roots, rocks, and stumps vs the more modern "flow trails" that are popping up in the area.

How do you like that cane creek rear shock? I've looked at them for my anthem as the stock shock is a basic sram monarch with minimal adjustments. It's fine for the tamer trails I tend to ride but it's easily overwhelmed with some of the rougher trails in the area that are "old school" and have plenty of roots, rocks, and stumps vs the more modern "flow trails" that are popping up in the area.

Sorry man, I don't know. That isn't my bike, just a bike that came in to the shop for some work. I only got to ride it for a quick test ride.

Don't forget the knife content folks!
43092673102_6389d39919_h.jpg

Back