Big Blade Questions?

I have never really been a fan of Big Blades or choppers. I seen to get by with the smaller stuff. Use my PSK daily and Mini Tusker alot on the weekends. But the more I read the forums here the more I have the draw to try one out. For heaver stuff I have my Gosshawk which is great for my chopping demands. So what are the advantages to them. And Scott if some one was wanting to get there first big blade from you what is your first suggestion?

I have been thinking about what my next chopper order from Scott will be. I have had several choppers, a 6" Tusker and 8" buffalo knife among them. I have come to really appreciate smaller knives too, but picked up a Terry Baublitz Hudson Bay chief camp knife, and NWA Woodsman in trades, and have had a lot of fun. I got the chance to see Scotts take on the golok, and I really liked it. Not too heavy either.

I would like to get something in 5160 or O1 for a big chopper from him, with wood scales. I was going to go with a large Kephart, but I am unsure if that is the design I want.

Great question, and I look forward to Scotts answer.

I have never really been a fan of Big Blades or choppers. I seen to get by with the smaller stuff. Use my PSK daily and Mini Tusker alot on the weekends. But the more I read the forums here the more I have the draw to try one out. For heaver stuff I have my Gosshawk which is great for my chopping demands. So what are the advantages to them. And Scott if some one was wanting to get there first big blade from you what is your first suggestion?

If you are getting by with what you have and it works for you, that's great.
I prefer a big blade because of the versitility it provides. You can chop, limb, split firewood by batoning (IMO, easier to baton with then a hatchet), carve, knotch, shave wood curls, use for food prep and in a pinch, use it to process game. I've gutted, split the pelvic and breastbone, chopped off legs, the head and completely butchered deer with an 8" blade.
I highly recommend my standard or full size Big Boar Tusker. It's been proven in the field not only by me but many others who own one.
Scott

Scott,
That is the same reason I have always carried a large knife with me.I still always when hunting or woods bumming I carry another fixed blade with me ( generally a 3 1/2 or 4 inch blade) and I always have my trusty leatherman super tool with me. But for any potential situation I know my big knife can perform any chore plus any a small knife could.I have hunted in areas that were 40 miles from the only road. It is what made me start packing a large knife all the time. Just my 00.2 cents.

Mike

Ive never gotten to into the big blades..... 3.75 is my goto blade length in a woods knife.

However, a Tusker is on my list for 2010.

Back