1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Big Box" Buck, My Good Experience

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by boy&hisdogs, Jun 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boy&hisdogs

boy&hisdogs

Dec 9, 2015
    We've all heard the rumors about many big brands sending lower grade products to certain retailers, especially the big blue one with the smiley face. People like to post horror stories, and people like to post almost-horror stories that end happily ever after due to excellent customer service, but nobody seems to post "all is well, no suprises".

That's exactly what I have for you. I bought a Buck 110 last night and other than a 20 minute wait, having to ask for someone to open the case several time, I have no complaints. I'm actually very happy with my purchase.

It came out about 10-15 dollars cheaper than most places, but there is no such thing as a free puppy. What you are saving in dollars you "pay" in other ways.

Probably the biggest problem for us porch folk is the way it's packaged. The knife is in a blister pack in the open position. This means you cannot inspect the knife at all, not even closed blade centering like the other clamshell style I've seen.

The other thing is that with the reduced price you get a reduced quality sheath. It's nylon, not leather. Of course some people may actually like the nylon better since you can get it wet, or you might be like me and dislike sheaths all together. They both sit in the back of the drawer equally well.

There's the big box vs mom and pop politics to consider but that's a discussion for another time.

I know that a sample size of one isn't all that scientific, but my 110 is as nice as any other that I've seen. The grinds (main and swedge) are even, there are no major gaps, the closed blade centering is spot on and it has one of the best factory edges that I've seen yet. The only nit-pick I can think of is that there seems to be a bit of chatter where the nail nick was cut but that's beyond minor IMO. The 30-45 dollars that you pay for a Buck 110 is an absolute steal and they're easily worth double that.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Frisky

Frisky

Dec 1, 2010
    I'm with you on the big box Buck 110s. I found two tiny imperfections in mine, but you had to be really picky to find them. Overall, I'm super happy with mine, and yours looks great! Mine was shaving sharp out of the box, but a quick steeling took it to another level. I used it to trim meat on a buck last fall, and it worked great. I prefer the nylon sheath over leather just because it's so easy to clean up. If I wasn't using it as a hunting knife, I'd prefer the leather sheath.

Joe

3. supratentorial

supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    Nice idea of reporting when things go right. Often it's only the times that things go bad that get the most attention.

Regarding the sheath, there is some benefit to nylon over leather. The acids in leather cause corrosion of metal. It's a bigger factor with carbon steel. The blades are stainless and they do stain less but bolsters and liners discolor over time and sometimes that green verdi gris will even form on the metal snaps of a leather sheath. It's best not to store a knife in a leather sheath. This doesn't happen with nylon. The following doesn't apply to the 110 but nylon sheaths also seem to produce less wear on black oxide coatings. Leather looks nicer though.

4. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Guys, this thread is about the purchasing of knives, rather than the knives themselves. Sorry. Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.