Big changes today

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Bmurray, May 23, 2018.

1. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    I turned in my notice at work today after 28 years. I'm going to work with a small company where I'm more of a partner. Got hired as the VP of sales. I was traveling 3 of 4 weeks each month and when I was in town working long hours. This was complete bullshit that was tearing the family apart and I put an end to that.

One bit of advice I give my kids and younger people I talk with. "Don't chase the dollar".

2. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    good luck BDB

Oyster likes this.
  3. Choppaman

Choppaman Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2017
    Good luck @Bmurray sounds like a better fit :thumbsup:

4. Southern Gent

Southern Gent Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Best of luck with the new venture Bob. Sounds like you made the right move. I'll get you one of those fruity beers you like next week and we can have a cheers.

Bmurray and Warrior108 like this.
  5. Panthera tigris

Panthera tigris Street Samurai

Apr 21, 2012
    Fair winds and following seas, Bob.

Bmurray likes this.
  6. TrainedBullets

TrainedBullets

Apr 23, 2017
    It sounds like you made a good call. I did something similar 15 years ago, trading in the high pressure, constant travel job for a no travel, less time consuming job.

It was probably the best move I’ve ever made.

Best of luck on the new venture!

Bmurray likes this.
  7. Warrior108

Warrior108 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Excellent move! Been there and it compromises the family for sure, not to mention your health. But its easy to find yourself in that position because you feel like you've got to work your butt off for the family and if you work harder, it'll be better for them. A slippery slope and its not always easy to recognize you're on it. Even when you do realize the totality of everything, it can be tough to take the leap out onto solid footing and do something completely different with the risk and uncertainty. That said, totally worth it the family time you recoup!!

Bmurray and catalystman80 like this.
  8. varga49

varga49 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    I made a similar decision in 1993 to quit chasing the dollar...All these years later I am so happy I made that decision, and I'm happy to see you taking that leap of faith..Congratulations Bob, Yes it does take big cajones! You got em' BDB

Bmurray likes this.
  9. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Congrats Bob!

Bmurray likes this.
  10. Comprehensivist

Comprehensivist Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Congratulations on taking the risk to achieve your highest potential closer to home. Just change your tag line to “Supersize Deal Bob” to make the transition complete. :p

[​IMG]

Good luck Mr. VP on your new gig. :thumbsup:

Phil

11. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    hahahaha

Bmurray likes this.
  12. catalystman80

catalystman80

May 1, 2013
    I miss supersize meals, can’t believe they did away with them......what’s the point of quarter pounder with cheese without gigantic fries and soda...:(

On a more serious note, congrats on the new opportunity and change!!! Been feeling similarly about my job, but not quite there to make any move yet.

Bmurray and varga49 like this.
  13. The Shatz

The Shatz Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2017
    Congrats bob family first!

Bmurray likes this.
  14. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    I'm proud for you Bob. Does this mean you can move to Perdido Key soon?

Bmurray and varga49 like this.
  15. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    As soon as we finish the house we build here on the farm.

Mike Pierson and Panthera tigris like this.
  16. sticksandstands

sticksandstands Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2015
    Bob, glad things are working out for you. I have been praying for you. And will continue to do so.
    Rick