Big Chris Knives in the woods

Some woods time with my big Chris camp/sar. It's been very wet here in Ohio and I wanted some hot coffee after my hike so I had to work. Batoned and processed some wood with this guy. It's a super versatile knife. 5.25 or so inch blade so it's not too big for little stuff but big enough to handle some tough jobs. I've had it out a few times, at least 7 or 8 and I haven't sharpened it yet.

Can't really say enough about it.

Took the boy on an overnight at Red River Gorge last night. The weather was beautiful and we found a really nice scenic camp site. I brought the Big Chris Kephart and the Puukko. Guess what? During the entire trip I didn't use either one.

Sometimes when you're backpacking, there's just no need. We found all the small dry wood we needed for fire, we used a sven saw and my part of food prep didn't require anything cut. I felt cheated but then again we had a great time. I'll get the new knives out soon!

My hammock sleeping system

The view from our common area

Terrible pic of our awesome fire

Sunset by the boys tent

I would've had more camp time to play with the knives but we actually set up camp and then did a day hike. Turns out we had a lot of trouble finding the camp. We got back with about 1.5 hours of day light left so we had to get busy quick. It was camp chili night. Beans, tomatoes, bison meat and smoked sausage with spices and goodies. Slow cooked and super awesome

Hmm you in PNW.... Washington, but probably Oregon?

Looks fun. My oldest is about camp age come this summer... Will be tons o fun.

Thanks for sharing, ciao!

Edit: those pines though.. Hmmm. Maybe Cali...

Lol ok way off... Guess I just assumed those Rhodies meant it was the PNW...

KY eh? Cheers!

I have never been to the "Gorge".
I really want to do some camping before it gets too warm or Blade Show gets too close.
I had the idea of trying to have a Get Together outing sometime.
Thoughts?
Interest?

I've always wanted to ride my bike in eastern Kentucky. Apparently it's some of the best scenery and riding in the region.

I'd hang out for a long weekend somewhere in northern Kentucky or southern Ohio. I haven't been there in, maybe, 20 years?

that would be cool. Or you could do it closer to home. Mammoth Caves has some cool stuff I'd like to go check out. The gorge seems really crowded these days.

Took a couple big Chris blades in the woods today. Didn't really do anything with them. I played with this Kephart in 10v and I'm super happy with it. I normally like almost of big Chris' knives but this is one (like my Nessmuk) that will get a ton of edc use. It's thin and slices layers of wood away crazy easy.

To put in perspective how much I liked it, I brought my brand new big Chris puukko and I didn't get around to using it (but I will soon).

I can't remember exact dimensions but maybe alfred mcdougal will remember. All I know is its a much bigger knife than it looks. The handles are awesome. Fits my gorilla hands. I'm between a large and an extra large glove and I have wide powerlifting hands. For me it's perfect and I'm sure smaller hands would fit.

This is one of those knives I won't get rid of unless Chris made something exactly the same with prettier handles or a different steel. Even then it might stay as a back up.

Awesome knife, big Chris. After the muk experiment I think you should really consider a Kephart run. Guys that use their knives will really like this one.

Included are some random silly pics. By now you guys should know I don't pull my phone out for pics. Im solo a lot of times anyway

The first knife I ever made was a Kephart.
It is a very versatile pattern that I believe is overlooked a lot of times just because of it's simplicity.
As usual it is always a pleasure getting to see knives I made get put to use.

I am anxious to hear about your use of that Puukko. I changed the edge profile on it slightly and really like the way it looks.

I like a kephart (the style in general), just have to have a comfortable handle, which I know Chris does do well. Luke, I know it is a tough job, but I appreciate you doing it for the rest of us. Jealous more like it.:D
Also like to hear about the puuko.

I'll be restarting this thread very soon. I'll be off work for twelve weeks because of this little guy.

Once the weather cools off, at least two or three days a week I'll be out in the woods. My collection has grown a bit lately. Here's a sneak peak of the big Chris knives I'll be taking out with me:

Hopefully I can get outside next week

Congratulations on the new addition.
Children are the biggest and best blessing I have ever experienced.
I do hope that he grows up to love the outdoors as well.

That knife collection is looking pretty good.
I think you have more Big Chris knives that I do.

A quick preview of some places where big Chris knives will be playing:

Scioto Trail south of Chillicothe, Ohio

Hargus Lake in Circleville, Ohio

Back