• STOP USING PAYPAL FRIENDS & FAMILY
    Please, help us prevent you getting ripped off because someone got their account compromised by reusing their email & password. Read the new best practices for using the Exchange FAQ page.

Big chunk of ats 34, dont know what to do with it

For some reason I ordered a big piece of ats 34, it is 12"x2", and 5/16" thick. Its too thick to make two small knives out of it, isnt it? What kind o big knife would be good? Also it cant be too complicated, becuase I suck. It will be my 15th attempt at a knife, so far 13 have been finished, 10 have been finished decently, and maybe 2 I would consider good enough to sell. Could I make a big camp knife, or would it be too brittle? What are come recommendations?
Kyle

KYLE, WHAT TYPE OF GRIND WOULD YOU PUT ON A KNIFE THIS SIZE. I HAVE MADE A FEW LARGE BOWIES, FOR BLACK POWDER GUN FIGHTER RIGS. SOME HAVE BEEN 3/16 THICK, AT THE SPINE AND SOME WERE 1/8 THICK. ARE YOU FAMILIAR WITH THE ARKANSAS TOOTHPICK PATTERN. IT IS A LARGE BOWIE WITH GOOD LOOKING LINES AND DESIGN. IF IT WAS ME, I WOULD MAKE THIS PATTERN WITH A FLAT GRIND AND MORAN EDGE. HOPE THIS MAY GIVE YOU A STARTING POINT TO HELP MAKE YOUR MIND UP.
KEN

------------------
KandS KNIVES

I like the integral idea George, but how hard is it? would the best way to go about it be to stard grinding away a spot in the handle, and the blade, leaving a spot for a bolster. I suppose I should just clamp a couple of peices of steel over the areas I dont want to grind into? Then finish things up with files? Does that sound right. I also don't have a metal cutting bandsaw, so I was thinking about putting a abrasive cutting blade in my table saw and ripping it on that, would that work?
thanks
Kyle

Wow, this brings back memories. I made over a dozen knives for a doctor over a period of 3-4 years, and he wanted all of them out of 5/16ths steel. Couldn't talk him into 1/4 or 3/16ths -- they had to be out of 5/16ths. Made a variety of patterns, including camp knives and a skinner or two. They all looked fine, but felt like a chunk of railroad iron in the hand.

My suggestion would be to make camp knives, and do everything you can to remove weight: take the grind all the way up the spine, drill several hidden holes in the handle for weight removal, taper the tang, soak it in helium.......

John Ownby
http://www.johnownby.com

" I also don't have a metal cutting bandsaw, so I was thinking about putting a abrasive cutting blade in my table saw and ripping it on that, would that work? "

Cut 5/16th steel on a table saw? Doesn't sound very safe to me.

Kyle,
We've been seeing an increasing number of larger blades made with ATS-34/154CM. Paul Bos seems to have nailed down a heat treat regimen for ATS-34 that excels in these big blades.

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

Back