Big Honkin' English Bowie

It will be awhile before I'm up to another task like this one. People always ask, "You make swords?" I tell them that I have enough trouble keeping a bowie straight!:eek:

This is an English-style coffin-handle bowie with a 12" blade and measures 17 1/4" overall. The interframe handle is ancient Walrus tusk ivory with a hint of blue streaking in it. All of the fittings are damascus and silicone bronze. The sheath is a hands-titched Paul Long-style sheath with deer skin inlay & lining.

Christmasknives12-23-09038.jpg

Christmasknives12-23-09017.jpg

Christmasknives12-23-09021.jpg

First one I've finished in awhile so I thought I'd share. Sorry for the poor photos but the only backdrop that would take this monster was black.

Hope y'all enjoy this.

Cheers,

TV

Terry L. Vandeventer
ABS MS

Terry,

You are the MAN!

That's just wonderful, design, damascus,shell-guard, handles, and detail. You nailed it.

John

That is really gorgeous Terry - tell me about that damascus pattern.

Roger

Thanks John!

Roger, the damascus is a modified ladder that I call "Cardiac pattern" and if I get it right it looks like an EKG read-out. My soft-spoken, dry-humored, college step-son knows the process I use and he suggested another variation. He said to discontinue the ladder pattern midway down the blade and make the line go straight. "Cardiac arrest!" Ha! I'll reserve that for a serious fighter...

Cheers,

TV

Terry L. Vandeventer
ABS MS

Great looking Bowie, Terry.

Just a little longer and you will be in the sword business.

Thanks for letting us have a look.

Take care

Charles

Absolutely wonderful pair.
I really like how light the guard is next to such a substantial handle.
I had never been a big fan of the English Bowie style but this one is beautiful.
The proportions are perfect. The file work is very tastefully done.

Thanks for the info Terry - it's a very attractive pattern with a very cool name and story behind it.

Roger

Absolutely stunning Terry! It looks even better than the description you gave me. I'm sure the client will be pleased!

I think that damascus looks kind of 'scaly', like a reptile or something...
But what do I know?

Terry Vandeventer- I never tire of seeing what comes out of your shop. You have quite the brain:thumbup::cool:

It does look scaley! Fitting for the snake man.

Terry, is that back similar? Wondering if you have a photo?

its too small to EDC! :p

fantasic bowie, the hilt and handle work on this is phenomenal! the owner of this one will have a big grin to have that in his collection.

Back