"BIG" Little Knives

Sal Glesser

I thought to share with you some of the design philosophy behind a few of the newer models.

IMO, folding knives for daily carry will, in general, become smaller. Public opinion and fears, new laws, etc. Knives in the 2" to 3" blade length will become more the "norm". I said this several years ago, and I am now just beginning to see the trend move.

Most smaller knives (those in the 2" - 3" range) are more gents folders designed to cut string. Think of your average Swiss army knife or even small locking folders, the blades are thin, handles small with little purchase, hardly something you would try to cut a seat belt with or even thick cardboard.

In an effort to serve the small knife needs with a big knife performer, Spyderco created a few new designs. Each is designed specifically to be a "hand full" with big knife muscle, strong locks, superior purchase and wide, but short blades.

JESTER - Designed to be a 2" keychain or "loose change" pocket knife. Though it doesn't have as much purchase as the others in the group, there are enough dents and extensions to get a pretty good grip for such a small knife.

the NAVIGATOR pattern, also used for the MEERKAT and the PRIDE. A 2" knife with a wide, strong blade and enough "grip" to be a very useful cutting tool.

The SALSA is a 2.5" knife with a "big" knife attitude,

The LIL' TEMPERANCE is the last in the group (at this time). a 3" knife with MBC rated lock and a large wide flat blade capable of major cutting.

This is a departure in many respects and we're watching closely to see reactions to this new concept.

Just some thoughts to share.

sal

From the pictures, I do notice a bit more of the "dents and extensions." Interesting designs on these new models, not much else like them on the market.

As you mentioned, they still have the "wide" blades. That, in my opinion, is the most important feature, as it lends confidence while using.

One last thing: What's the "Pride?"

Ken

Sal, I love the concept of wide, stout, knives with fairly short blades. For the reasons that you mentioned, knives designed in such a way are capable of providing performance on par with larger knives while still being within the range of legality. I am really inpressed with the new Salsa and Meerkat. They are both great EDC for persons like myself who work in environments that are not knife friendly. I definitely feel that a small knife should not always be dainty with ilimited usefulness.

I also love the smaller blades. I have carried Navigators for the last couple of years but I'm retiring them as my EDC since I got my new Salsa's. Sal, these knives do fit the new environment for knives perfectly. Keep making these great smaller designs.

I've got to get my plug in for a Spyderco version of the Victorinox Tinker. The best of both worlds.

I expected this trend as well, Sal. I am so glad you developed these smaller blades with hand filling handles and excellent purchase.

As the proud owner of the Salsa and Lil' Temperance line, I am pleased to say they are my everyday carries as of lately. This new "fistful" concept has certainly won me over.

Sal, I can't disagree with you about the trend, but I can't get real excited about the little knives. I have a Navigator in G-10 and a SS Dragonfly and they just don't cut very well compared to a Calypso Lwt. Jr. or a Delica, I think the blade is just too chunky for my taste. On the other hand the Cricket has been a great office knife, and its thin hooked blade seems to cut more effectively than the Navigator.

To tell you the truth I am not sure that people get any more freaked out by seeing a 3" Calypso Jr. than they do when seeing a 2" Navigator. So unless some arbitrary rule is in place I will carry the bigger knives or the Cricket.

Reagards,
Rick

Rick, you make a good point that there are anti-knife people who have a negative reaction to anything sharp and pointy, however, I think that most people are reasonable and can accept a knife that is "pocket knife" sized. We knife nuts often fail to understand the perspective of people who are not necessarily knife haters, but who are not knife lovers. When most people think of a pocket knife, they picture something roughly SAK sized. Most small Spyderco folders like the Calypso, Native, or Delica have blades are about 1/2" longer than most SAKs and are over twice as wide. To non-knife nuts these 3" Spydies look big. A knife like the new Salsa seems to be a good compromise to me. The blade is shorter but it still has a frame that is much wider than that found on traditional style pocket knives. The great thing about the Salsa in particular is that has a fairly wide and thick handle which gives the knife a much bigger feel than a similar sized knife like the Dragonfly. I think the new strategy of Spyderco is great because it is "politically correct" and it is practical in that it updates the traditional small pen type of pocket knife.

This design philosophy has my attention (and $). I find it extremely functional and practical.

Well for my needs I think the idea fits well. I work in an office enviroment and a decent sized knife to do most things works well for me. I have carried a Calypso jr lgwt as well as a cricket and a Toad. Got my Meerkat and love it. Great size and it will do everything I ask of it. Great job Sal.

Jyork

I just wanted to say that I applaud this new direction by Spyderco. I own a bunch of the smaller Spydies (Ladybug, Ladybug II, CF Dragonfly, G10 Navigator, Toad, Cricket), but have always felt that the best design efforts were put into the >3" knives. For many of us, something under 2.5" is advisable for the workplace.

Ironically, I went looking for a Meerkat at the gun show last weekend, but ended up buying a Starmate. :D

The little knives are great, and I am sure they are a challenge to create but spyderco's large knife market is rather dead right now.
How about some new ground-breaking folders with an OAL of 8.8+ inches.

Fisherman

I understand the desire for smaller (shorter) blades. However, I am somewhat disappointed to see virtually all of the new Spyderco blades being designed with very wide blades.

With the cancellation of the Worker and Centofante in the last two years, Spyderco has basically dropped the thinner profile blades.

Given the continuing sales of non-tactical blades (such as slipjoint knives and many companies that produce "gent's" knives) there certainly seems to be a market out there for such a product.

Is it Spyderco's decision to move away from this market segment? I suppose you might argue that the Delica and possibly the JD Smith models remain somewhat in this category, as they allow fine tip contol and twist-cutting, but neither of these really is quite as elegant as the other efforts I mentioned. The Mini-Dyad is perhaps the next closest design, but that is dropped as well.

Architect, you have a point about the "Gentleman's Pocketknife" class, except that the J.D. Smith, with a 3 11/16" blade hardly fits that category. It looks narrow, but it is wider than it seems when you actually hold one, and it is much too big for many jurisdictions. To those of you who bemoan blades of 3" or less, please try to remember those of us who live or work in jurisdictions where such blades are what are legal. BTW, not all knives with 3" blades are friendly looking to non-knife folks, the Gunting, for instance.

The only pocketkives that Spyderco makes that approach being "Gentleman's Pocketknives" are the Ligtweight Dyad and the Toad, neither of which compare to either the Bencnmade Osborne 770 or the Osborne 940 as a classy looking "dress-up" knife. When I need to carry such a blade, I tend to carry my BM 770.

I noticed this trend as well and have replaced my usual 3.5 inch folder with a sub 3" blade. not really because of anyone's perception but my own personal requirements. I just ordered a Salsa and i'm eagerly waiting for it to come in. I got to play with one and it did feel like a much bigger knife. my wife however wants a small knife with a skinny blade like the rookie It's been heck finding one for her.

Sal,
Greatly probably you are right about this trend although in my country it is no law limitations as to formal blade length. We should care what we are doing with our knives rather than how large they are. Maybe we are quite backward country...

As to general public appearance. Some time ago I have made some search asking at least 3 dozens of respondents what knife - Starmate or Gunting - looks more scarring and threatening. I was quite surprised with responses! Most of males considered Gunting as more scarring and threatening because of its unusual shape. The most of females considered Starmate more scarring because of its longer blade. There were LEO's and security personnel among both genders...

I have noticed also that wide blades and knife's overall serious look are practically as much important as formal blade length. For ex. Peter Herbst cause less attention than Bob Lum Chinese folder (strange but fact). I'm very curious to check out what the place Lil' Temperance will take in this comparison, but I have reasons to expect less friendly reception from general public side than Chinese.

As to new knives. I have Meerkat only of mentioned, it provides nice handling and as result more cutting power than it could be expected from this blade size. However I would like it to have full flat ground blade. When we are coming close to utility tasks - Military displays better cutting performance than Starmate and Calypso Jr. Ltw. cuts better than Delica. In my opinion the difference is as bigger as shorter the blade is.
So I'm glad to see Temperance and Salsa with flat ground blades and probably wold like to see Meerkat and Navigator with the flat grind also.
No thoughts about Jester so far because I have not too much experience with such small knives.

Thanx for the input. We don't plan to make all of our knives with wide flat blades. We need a few in different sizes to service the market need.

Serg, I qgree with you on the flat grind blade performance, however, it is my opinion, that in America most prefer the hollow or multiple hollow grinds.

sal

I just handled the Salsa, and if the Temperance is built along the same lines, with the material differences it uses, I now understand the price. I really like these knives. It was my first exposure to them, but I get it. It really feels like a big knife with a small blade. I will probably buy a Salsa. The Temperence is while wonderful I am sure, too big for one big city I work in. They require less than 3 inch blade. All the others in the whole state have no blade max length. Its what you using it for that counts. So I might pass on it for the time being, but maybe not :) The salsa is on my to buy list for sure.

The trend toward smaller knives is okay as long as (1) the blades on these small knives are long enough to cut a good sized (thick) sandwich and (2) Spyderco continues to also design larger knives for carrying in environments where "political correctness" are discouraging words.

While I'm not against the wide and thick blade designs, I submit that they are not the only way to go with the smaller blades. How about profiles like that of the Benchmade 705, 770 and 940? As mentioned by Architect, the Mini-Dyad is one of the few models that represent a non-wide blade design. Stainless steel handled Rookie, you say? I guess I better go out and find one of those before they become extinct.

"(2) Spyderco continues to also design larger knives for carrying in environments where "political correctness" are discouraging words.
"
Amen, toothed.

Back