big mods of an e-tool

abz

I wanted an 8" long real saw edge (with offset teeth) down the side of an e tool. None of them have a large enough blade to achieve that, so I had to cut down a full sized shovel, straighten out the tang and reinforce it so that it could handle being used as a hatchet, nad added a removable D-handle. Cutting and offsetting the teeth with the angle grinder and the Dremel, etc. took half a day, and the rest of the work consumed nearly the rest of the take. The additional 1" of shovel blade width and 1.5" of increased length more than made up for the loss of surface area that was a result of cutting the very long angle down the side that became the saw blade. The extra bulk hasn't hurt its performance as a knife or hatchet, either. The saw is a lot safer and more discrete to use than any chopping instrument.

Hopefully, yes. I have to teach myself how to use the cam that i got for xmas. :) I'm in college, my last year, and I'm buried in research and essay writing. Making this E tool was the first really constructive, physical thing that I've done in many months, other than work out, that is.

I'm curious, what do you think will happen to the saw blade when you stick the shovel in the ground?

Me to as well as why it needs to be useful as a hatchet.
One tool options are a very cool fantasy, definitely cool but pure fantasy.
I say fantasy because we imagine surviving with them but having to use them gets old real quick, and they're only great for a day at best.

There's nothing wrong with making this kind of stuff for fun though, and I made something similar once as a teenager.
I gave it to a friend who really wanted it, and while it was a fub project I don't miss the thing much and forgot about it till now.

Back