Big Saw Blade

I've got this big circular saw blade, about
two feet across. I think it might make up
into some good knife blades. The saw blade
is a bit warped and rusty. I assume it can be cut into blanks with a torch but I won't be doing it myself. If I can find someone
to do this for me what should I tell them
to do?

How old is the blade? How deeply is it pitted? and yes, someone with a cutting torch or plasma cutter can carve it up for you. If it is pitted too deeply you won't be able to grind enough to get rid of all the flaws. The age might be important too. Some newer circular blades are only good on the outer perimeter. Good Luck. Terry

Just because it may be pitted doesn't mean it's useless. I've made a few sawblade knives with some pitting(obviously not enough to cause structural weakness in the blade). Instead of grinding all the pit out I edge quenched the blade and then blued it with a torch giving it an almost antique finish. Folks loved them. I couldn't beleive they sold so quick. It goes to show, just play around you never know.

J.

Just because it may be pitted doesn't mean it's useless. I've made a few sawblade knives with some pitting(obviously not enough to cause structural weakness in the blade). Instead of grinding all the pit out I edge quenched the blade and then blued it with a torch giving it an almost antique finish. Folks loved them. I couldn't beleive they sold so quick. It goes to show, just play around you never know.
biggrin.gif

J.

Sorry. I just figured out how you guys do all those goofy smiles. Never claimed to be computer literate.
wink.gif

J.

Back