Big Task Ahead

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Dave Behrens, May 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Behrens

Dave Behrens

Feb 25, 2011
    This is my first thread in the AT&H Forum thought this might be of some interest.

I recently had three trees cut down around my house. Two were 100 footers, and one was 40' (after top half broke off in a storm a few years ago). I had the tree guy cut the two larger trees into rounds but I will be doing all of the splitting myself. The catch is I do not have one of those fancy gas powered log splitters. Here are some photos of the task I have ahead, the tools I will be using, and my progress so far.

View attachment 351282
    I have estimated the total number or rounds between 150-160, the largest measure about 28-32" in diameter, and account for about 1/2 of the total rounds.

View attachment 351281
    Size reference.

View attachment 351283
    Third tree and shortest, I will have to "round" this one myself, I will be using a chainsaw.

View attachment 351280
    The tools I am using include a Harbor Freight 8lb Maul. I re-profiled the maul's edge, it was so thick from the store it just bounced off of the rounds, now it splits with relative ease. The other tools include a single bit axe and a double bit axe brands/makes unknown (been in the family for 3 generations).

View attachment 351279
    My progress after two days roughly 8 rounds split up. My goal is to finish by July and average 6 rounds per day.

2. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    ooooo... nice.
    save some for stump stools! For anvil seats! (maybe not the right wood for those uses?)

3. abrasion

abrasion

Feb 22, 2011
    Don't forget to save a few for tomahawk targets.

I split and stacked about 20 rounds one afternoon last summer. Totally kicked my butt. I was so sore the next three days and I think my hands were the worst of it.

4. Coloradoman24

Coloradoman24

Nov 3, 2012
    Wow that's a bit of work me and my brother once knocked out a task almost of that in a weekend all of us were hurting the next Monday but worth it

5. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    You got a pile of fun in your future. Good exercise and it costs less than a gym membership.

6. CedarEater

CedarEater

Aug 31, 2012
    And it gets easier the more you do it.

7. Dave Behrens

Dave Behrens

Feb 25, 2011
    Well it has been 3 weeks and 2 days since I began this thread/task. I am not as far a long as I thought I'd (or wanted) to be, mostly due to time (we all know how that is :rolleyes:). I am about half done in terms of actual labor, all of the largest stumps are split up. The maul is holding up fantastically, but is causing a lot of blisters, probably the plastic handle, wooden handles don't tend give me blisters this badly. Here are some more progress pics.

Pile has grown some. Estimate I have processed about 30-40 rounds.
    View attachment 354924
    View attachment 354925

The wood pile in these two pics is at least 75% Pitchwood (fatwood), some of these stumps entire core was A grade (heavily saturated) fatwood.
    View attachment 354926
    View attachment 354927

I got this blister after about a week of splitting, and was not bothering me at all until I ripped it open (during a completely unrelated task). This pic is two weeks after I ripped it open. This is the other reason for a lack of progress.
    View attachment 354928

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  8. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    You got a good start there. FYI, an axe with a full unclipped fawn's foot won't give you that nasty blister.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.