Big Thanks To Two Great Forum Friends

Jack Black

Seize the Lambsfoot! Seize the Day!
Platinum Member
I've received a lot of kindness from many, many great folks here on The Porch over the years I've been posting here, and it always means a great deal to me. I've had some extremely thoughtful gifts recently, and yesterday I received a double dose of kindness from two of my good friends here, Greg @WhittlinAway and Rachel @r8shell :)

3MsEsWO.jpg

A few weeks back, a few of us were discussing rock-climbing in the Lounge, and this gave Greg the idea to send me this superb-looking book looking at climbing in Yosemite during the pioneering days of the 1960's. I'm really looking forward to reading it :) Greg has also gone to the trouble of collecting some coasters for me, from breweries he's visited with his trusty Lambsfoot. Another recent discussion we had was about making coffee out on the trail, and Greg offered to send me over some different types of instant coffee he likes, so I'll definitely be giving these a try when I'm out hiking. Thank you so much Greg :)

bYAB4Et.jpg

Rachel has sent me many fascinating knives over the years, and seems to really know the sort of knives I find interesting and enjoy, including many from old US cutlery companies I'd be unlikely to come across otherwise. As I have a collection of military folders, Rachel very kindly sent me a Camillus USMC 'Demo-Knife'. Knowing my enjoyment of figural knives, she included my first Duck Knife! :D Also, this really cool Henckels Key Knife. Too cool for Skool though is an Imperial Jackmaster 'Baseball Knife', aimed at the dedicated mumblety-peg player! :cool: Such a treasure :) :thumbsup: Rachel also included some liquorice boot-lace, and some gum, I'm currently trying out (I like it!) :D Thanks Rachel, you're a great friend :) :thumbsup:

c9HeOk5.jpg

vQNNCLR.jpg

What a special place this is :) Thank you so much Greg and Rachel :) :thumbsup:

What nice generosity Greg & Rachel! I bet that brought a big smile to your face Jack? Well done.

Russell

Extremely thoughtful gifts. Just one question...what knife will you carry when you climb in Yosemite?

I'm afraid I'm too old and fat for that now! :D But if I wasn't I think I'd carry a Lambsfoot like George Mallory :) :thumbsup:

Nicely done Greg @WhittlinAway and Rachel @r8shell :)
And also well deserved, my friend Jack Black Jack Black :cool:
BTW, Black Jack gum was my favorite as a kid.

Thanks John, that gum is very tasty :) I missed the brand on the liquorice :) :thumbsup:

cdqtygQ.jpg

Wonderful!

And you are going to love that book :thumbsup: If you are able, I highly recommend watching the documentary "Valley Uprising". It is very well done and covers the early days of Yosemite climbing (Royal Robbins, etc)...all the way through the modern climbers (Alex Honnold, etc). It was filmed before Alex Honnold free-solo'd El Capitan so maybe finish it all off with "Free Solo" for the full history of it all :)

Last edited:
Wonderful!

And you are going to love that book :thumbsup: If you are able, I highly recommend watching the documentary "Valley Uprising". It is very well done and covers the early days of Yosemite climbing (Royal Robbins, etc)...all the way through the modern climbers (Alex Honnold, etc). It was filmed before Alex Honnold free-solo'd El Capitan so maybe finish it all off with "Free Solo" for the full history of it all :)

I'm really looking forward to it Darren, thank you for the video reccomendations, I'll see if I can find them online :) :thumbsup:

Edit - Looks GREAT! Just thought I'd add a link to the trailer :cool: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back